Sponsored by:

Just a heads up on Porsche CPO coverage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just a heads up on Porsche CPO coverage

.... buying a (previously covered) CPO vehicle from a non-Porsche dealer voids the pre-existing CPO coverage. CPO does remain with the vehicle if it's sold private party but not thru a non-Porsche dealer.

I picked up a '10 Cayenne GTS from a non-Porsche dealer, (it still has 2 1/2 mos and 2,500 mi. of factory warranty remaining) the selling dealer did NOT list it as a CPO car but I found a small CPO sticker on the car and thought they had missed it (I didn't notice the sticker until I got it home) so I thought I got a better deal than I did. Called Porsche this AM and was told it WAS CPO but now the non-dealer sale voided it. The car was traded in to the Porsche dealer, CPO added when it sold, new buyer traded it after 5 mos. to the Ford dealer for one of the Raptor (?) pickups.

I liked the car and bought it anyway, it's in excellent condition and they wanted it off their lot so they were willing to negotiate but I was hoping I scored big time with the CPO coverage. Oh well. Fortunately I didn't go in to the deal thinking it was a CPO car or I would be pretty pissed with myself but hopefully this keeps someone else from making that mistake.

I did call the Porsche dealer where it was serviced before going down to look at it and they gave me a verbal record of it's maintenance so I know it wasn't serviced at the local Jiffy-Lube....
Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's on Porsche CPO site somewhere - CPO is only transferable if sold through certified dealer or directly by the owner. What you can do, before you main warranty runs out, is go to your local dealer and recertify the car. I think it should be doable as long as car is in good shape (so dealer won't tell you to do unnecessary fixes just to CPO the car) and you think price is worth doing it.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, kongradulationz, but where are the pics?!!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

"For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:
• 2 years from the date of used retail delivery
OR
• 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle"
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Bill, kongradulationz, but where are the pics?!!
Just for you Pops.

Meteor Gray Metallic ext. / Full Black Leather w/ Alcantara int.
Bi-Xeon, PCM w/ Nav, XM, Heated Ft Seats, Light Comfort w/ memory,
Univ Audio Interface w/ Bluetooth (no longer have to deal w/ Mobridge), Bose,
Trailer Hitch, Moonroof, Vari Power Steering, Ft & Rr Park Assist and the Coup de gras........
Rear Seat Entertainment, so the dogs will be able to watch their favorite DVD's...

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Congrats, looks really clean!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

That's odd... I've had 2 Porsche CPO cars and never had the CPO "deactivate" even though the car was sold through a non-porsche dealer.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Just for you Pops.

Meteor Gray Metallic ext. / Full Black Leather w/ Alcantara int.
Bi-Xeon, PCM w/ Nav, XM, Heated Ft Seats, Light Comfort w/ memory,
Univ Audio Interface w/ Bluetooth (no longer have to deal w/ Mobridge), Bose,
Trailer Hitch, Moonroof, Vari Power Steering, Ft & Rr Park Assist and the Coup de gras........
Rear Seat Entertainment, so the dogs will be able to watch their favorite DVD's...
VERY sharp looking P!G, Bill! Great choice & for keeping the dogs in mind
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
That's odd... I've had 2 Porsche CPO cars and never had the CPO "deactivate" even though the car was sold through a non-porsche dealer.
If they don't know about it, it won't deactivate.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

But I don't understand Bill's post. He bought a car with a factory warranty remaining, and from a Ford dealer who cannot perform a Porsche CPO. So why would it be CPO in the first place if it's still under factory warranty? This post is confusing and misleading. If the car was originally CPO'd by a Porsche dealer it would be a different story.
Tim, does a dealer call up PCNA and deactivate the CPO coverage? I've never heard of such a thing, and from what I've read it is not stated within the contract of a CPO coverage which is transferrable, just like the new warranty. I feel like Bill called PCNA and there was some miscommunication as his car was never a CPO in the first place so why is there even a discussion about a Ford dealer providing CPO? A CPO warranty extension occurs at a Porsche dealer only.
Maybe this post is only confusing to me... And it's not that I really care that much, I'm just trying to decrease the spread of misleading information!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

You need to re-read my first post.

Originally Posted by garrett376
But I don't understand Bill's post. He bought a car with a factory warranty remaining, and from a Ford dealer who cannot perform a Porsche CPO. So why would it be CPO in the first place if it's still under factory warranty? This post is confusing and misleading. If the car was originally CPO'd by a Porsche dealer it would be a different story.
Tim, does a dealer call up PCNA and deactivate the CPO coverage? I've never heard of such a thing, and from what I've read it is not stated within the contract of a CPO coverage which is transferrable, just like the new warranty. I feel like Bill called PCNA and there was some miscommunication as his car was never a CPO in the first place so why is there even a discussion about a Ford dealer providing CPO? A CPO warranty extension occurs at a Porsche dealer only.
Maybe this post is only confusing to me... And it's not that I really care that much, I'm just trying to decrease the spread of misleading information!
Originally Posted by 993BillW
.edited
The car was traded in to the Porsche dealer, CPO added when it sold, new buyer traded it after 5 mos. to the Ford dealer for one of the Raptor (?) pickups.
It does sound like I screwed up by calling Porsche. If I had known about this little "feature" of the CPO program I damn sure wouldn't have called them.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-18-2020)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

i dont understand either. I thought the only time the CPO gets deactivated is when a P Dealer resells a car?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Sounds like I wasn't the only one in the dark about this little "feature" of the CPO program. Silly me, I thought once CPO was attached to a vehicle that it would stay with the vehicle.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

how would they know???
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

If a (non-Porsche) dealer brings a CPO vehicle in to a Porsche dealer for repairs, that's one tip off. They may also periodically check Carfax or similar records for vehicles that are brought in for CPO work.
The purpose is that they don't want people to be able to shop for a CPO Porsche at any dealer. Porsche wants to reserve that right for their dealer network.

Quick Reply: Just a heads up on Porsche CPO coverage