Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Discharge Protection Active

Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Garlic Oil
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Discharge Protection Active

Purchased our 2012 Cayenne new in July 2012. A few months later, a warning message on the multi-purpose display appeared indicating "Battery Discharge Protection Active - Capacity 90%" This message would appear every few weeks or so. I searched the forum here and discovered a thread from November 2011 indicating this message may have been received due to a switch under the driver's seat needing to be moved to a different position. Dealer took care of this in December 2012. Fast forward to yesterday. I start the Cayenne and guess what pops up? Yep, the battery discharge message. What is different this time is after changing the display in the MPD, a small yellow battery icon stays lit. There is nothing in the manual about the battery discharge message. The manual indicates a yellow battery warning light indicates "Battery Consumer Switch Off Meaning Various Comfort Loads Are Deactivated To Avoid Running Down The Battery." I rarely drive the Cayenne as it is my wife's. I asked her about this message and she advised me it came on a few weeks ago and she has been ignoring it due to past experiences with her 2004 Touareg (that was a freaking breeding ground for electrical gremlins). Her round trip to work is 6 miles so I took it for a spirited drive yesterday to make sure the battery was charged. I then hooked it up to a battery charger and the battery was already fully charged. There are no accessories plugged in such as radar detector etc... The vehicle has 7,000 miles on it. The nearest Porsche dealer is a four hour drive from my home. Any thoughts, information or suggestions to help me with this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would ask the dealer if there is a way to reduce the draw on the battery when the car is not in use. Maybe its in the menu somewhere. My Cayman turns on a bunch of lights every time I open the door in the garage to retrieve a CD or cellphone or whatever. Maybe there is a way to turn this s*** off? I can see how a short drive would not recharge the battery enough with this constant use of battery power for no good reason.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Garlic Oil
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Interestingly if you use the forum's search function for the exact message you posted you would have found this as the only hit.

It's a switch you need to turn off under the driver seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Discharge Protection Active