Sponsored by:

replace one or all ignition coils?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
RMEuropean.com is almost always my go-to place after shopping around. In addition to being price competitive (or best), I find that in CA, the free ground shipping ends up actually being next-day shipping. Not sure, but I think they do it by actually distributing the parts from a place here in the SF Bay Area.

When I did my own engine PPI (compression test, borescope, plugs + coils inspection) on my '04 S, I ended up keeping the .03-.05 series coils which looked perfect, with no cracks anywhere, but replaced all plugs with the Bosch for $4.54 a piece (these are the 4-electrode plugs for the S, not the single-electrode ones for the turbo).

So you might do a quick check on RMEuropean.com, especially if you might benefit from fast shipping.
RMEuropean was about $15 cheaper for the coils, about $8 more expensive for the plugs. About $8 cheaper for the air/oil separator diaphragm. Gave them a shot, will report back.

thanks,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 01-09-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:52 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RMEuropean was fantastic, thank you oldskewel! I ordered late in the evening on the 8th, they shipped on the 9th, I received my parts on the 10th. Free shipping too, excellent.

I just got done swapping the left bank (5-8) and I've discovered something very interesting. The old spark plugs look MUCH better now than they did last week when I reinstalled them. A lot of the black has burned-off and they now have that ideal golden brown tint to them. I'm swapping them for the correct single-electrode Beru plugs and new coils, but I think that my kapton-tape wrap on the old cracked coils actually had an effect. People have said that the plugs get oily when the coils are able to arc to ground, my theory is that despite seeing no evidence of arcing, mine actually were, and wrapping them in kapton (which is good for something like 10kv per layer) actually stopped whatever arcing there was and has started to burn them clean. I'm headed out right now, but I'll post pictures later so you guys can see what you think.

cheers,
c
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Glad to hear you liked RMEuropean. Slight extra bonus is that you earned 5% loyalty points to redeem on your next purchase of $100+. I've been buying from them for years for my 911 and X5, and now my Cayenne too. Parts are always the specified brand, always correct, price is great (not always best, as you found), and the fast free shipping usually seals the deal for me.

Very interesting on the Kapton tape helping the plugs. That makes a lot of sense. I never knew the dielectric properties of that tape, but now that I do, I plan to get some.

I agree it was a smart move to get those plugs out of there - not worth the risk.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:02 PM
Rickiteasy
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newer version of ignition coil?

Are all the years of CT ignition coils interchangeable? I have a 2004 CT. Can I get the one for 2019 CT?
Old 02-22-2020, 01:16 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickiteasy
Are all the years of CT ignition coils interchangeable? I have a 2004 CT. Can I get the one for 2019 CT?
Easy to check in a parts manual - but bet'cha NO. They even used different plugs..
Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickiteasy
As Don said, probably not. Keep in mind, however, that you want the latest version for your model-specific application. They update the darn things all the time...

Quick Reply: replace one or all ignition coils?