Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode questions

Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 AM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport mode questions

Has anyone ever dyno'd Sport and non-sport modes? They seem to be quite different. Ive only had my turbo for 3 weeks, but I liken sport mode to showing a bull a red cape it really transforms the thing. I was quite surprised as ive driven quite a few cars over the years with 'sport' buttons.

What years open the exhaust? I dont know if its all in my head, but my 08 seema louder in sport mode.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubtful any power change otherwise they'd certainly make that aspect a selling point. The sensation is the change in throttle mapping - for what is noramlly 25% throttle you're getting say 75% throttle input, so it definitely seems like a huge power jump. My 75% example may be high, but the principle is accurate. And yes, the sport button open flaps in the exhaust to make your pepper muy caliente.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No concrete evidence but in the GTS bumf for sport mode it mentions sportier throttle and transmission mapping whereas for the 957 turbo "a sportier engine tune" is mentioned. I certainly have to engage Sport in my 957 turbo in order to raise performance levels beyond that of my old 955 turbo.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Irfan Khan
4th Gear

Default Porsche Cayenne turbo 955 sport mode upgrade?

Originally Posted by mcbit
No concrete evidence but in the GTS bumf for sport mode it mentions sportier throttle and transmission mapping whereas for the 957 turbo "a sportier engine tune" is mentioned. I certainly have to engage Sport in my 957 turbo in order to raise performance levels beyond that of my old 955 turbo.
Does anyone know if a Porsche Cayenne turbo 955 sport mode upgrade is possible? I couldn't find any information about it on the forum. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:41 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Irfan Khan
Does anyone know if a Porsche Cayenne turbo 955 sport mode upgrade is possible? I couldn't find any information about it on the forum. Thanks.
The sport mode on a GTS increases the exhaust sound but does not add any HP.
A P dealer can add this for $3K+ but it will cost much less $$ using aftermarket components.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Irfan Khan
4th Gear

It is supposed to increase throttle response and higher rpm shifting, aggressive/faster downshift, 1st gear start, and some other things. It's like turning the PSM off but a bit different and with the PSM working. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm thinking more towards something like sprintbooster for 0.3k instead of the factory 3k upgrade.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:20 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

It is supposed to increase throttle response and higher rpm shifting, aggressive/faster downshift, 1st gear start, and some other things. It's like turning the PSM off but a bit different and with the PSM working. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm thinking more towards something like sprintbooster for 0.3k instead of the factory 3k upgrade.
Yes the sport mode does these things as well and stiffens the suspension characteristics. If you are planning to track your Cayenne these features may be beneficial.

Altering the pedal response with Sprint Booster gives the perception of more power, that is all.

Modding depends on your objectives and your budget. I prefer to spend money on hardware that adds HP. The Cayenne sport option does not.

Last edited by v10rick; 03-13-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Irfan Khan
4th Gear

I'm looking for a better throttle response so that I'm not hesitant in left turn crossing, turning PSM off helps but it takes away the confidence from safety perspective. The ECU mapping gives more HP, mostly by tuning boost levels but not sure if it'll also increase throttle response and 1st gear startup or not. Sprintbooster might give that feel or confidence but still $300 seems too much for throttle voltage changes only. I'd rather switch off the PSM when I start the car. Do you launch your car in 1st gear? Is yours manual transmission?

I use tiptronic to shift it to 1st but still it seems to be thinking too much. Like come on girl, get going, stop over thinking it. Lol. With PSM it a bit better. Maybe it's the turbo spool lag or something.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

I'm looking for a better throttle response so that I'm not hesitant in left turn crossing, turning PSM off helps but it takes away the confidence from safety perspective. The ECU mapping gives more HP, mostly by tuning boost levels but not sure if it'll also increase throttle response and 1st gear startup or not. Sprintbooster might give that feel or confidence but still $300 seems too much for throttle voltage changes only. I'd rather switch off the PSM when I start the car. Do you launch your car in 1st gear? Is yours manual transmission?

I use tiptronic to shift it to 1st but still it seems to be thinking too much. Like come on girl, get going, stop over thinking it. Lol. With PSM it a bit better. Maybe it's the turbo spool lag or something.
Yes my GTS is manual transmission and is very responsive in low gears. This is due partly to the final drive ratio on the GTS.

What you are experiencing is a common observation with the Cayenne turbo engine. There was a E81 PowerKit to change your Turbo to Turbo S (Google Porsche E81).

This was a very expensive kit when it was available($18K) that provided a 40HP boost.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Irfan Khan
4th Gear

$18k kits are body upgrade (facelift) as well. Better to buy 957 in that case. From what you said, it seems if I get the ECU mapped for 450 to 530 BHP upgrade, I'll get the throttle response as well?
There is a difference in throttle pedal input and the throttle body opening, depending upon traction control, like in Supra had a second throttle body for traction control. It gave better launch in Supra but Cayenne seems to be over cautious.
There is a company doing the ECU map in UK for 200 GBP. Just don't want to spend without grasping the actual concepts.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

$18k kits are body upgrade (facelift) as well. Better to buy 957 in that case. From what you said, it seems if I get the ECU mapped for 450 to 530 BHP upgrade, I'll get the throttle response as well?
There is a difference in throttle pedal input and the throttle body opening, depending upon traction control, like in Supra had a second throttle body for traction control. It gave better launch in Supra but Cayenne seems to be over cautious.
There is a company doing the ECU map in UK for 200 GBP. Just don't want to spend without grasping the actual concepts.
I would need to see dyno proof that mapping alone would boost 80hp.

The E51 kit replaced the throttle body, intake manifold, the ECU and exhaust components along with brake system.

As you mentioned purchasing a ride with the performance you desire, built in by the mfg, is a more economical route. Might be a better return when you decide to sell.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Irfan B Khan
AutoX

The Cayenne turbo boosts to about 0.7 bar and goes back and stay at about 0.5 bar. The ECU mapping takes it beyond 1 bar. YouTube has lots of videos of 0-60 and the turbo Guage can be seen staying at 0.8 bar. I started to think I have a leak or something that mine stays at 0.5 bar but it's there on the forum that it's normal for stock turbo. It's mapped towards the safer side.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Irfan B Khan
The Cayenne turbo boosts to about 0.7 bar and goes back and stay at about 0.5 bar. The ECU mapping takes it beyond 1 bar. YouTube has lots of videos of 0-60 and the turbo Guage can be seen staying at 0.8 bar. I started to think I have a leak or something that mine stays at 0.5 bar but it's there on the forum that it's normal for stock turbo. It's mapped towards the safer side.
Sure and that added boost generates more heat which will require intercooler mods. No such thing a free lunch as they say.

You original question was about low end response, don't see how more boost will have the effect that you desire at the low end of the rpm range.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Irfan B Khan
AutoX

If you don't know what ECU mapping means and can do, there is no point for me to argue about it.
If the dealership charges $3k (I hope you have verified that), which Suncoast parts says is available for $800-1500 for 911, cayman and others, then I'm sure to look for something else. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

$18k kits are body upgrade (facelift) as well.
Ummm... no. This is incorrect. For $18k, you get the mechanicals only.

Cheers,
TomF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport mode questions