Sponsored by:

Converting proprietary PCM 3.0 signal to generic optical

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
thomer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting proprietary PCM 3.0 signal to generic optical

I'm new to Porsches and new to Cayennes, so please excuse my imbecility while I get my feet wet. I've tried searching (multiple) forums for the answer, but can't find anything satisfactory.

I will soon pick up a 2009 Cayenne with the Bose "14" speaker option. I want to keep the head unit and replace everything else. I believe the 2009 has PCM 3.0, which connects directly to a Bose 5 (I think) channel amplifier, which converts the PCM 3.0 fiber optic signal to 5 speaker level outputs (I'm guessing).

I would like to rip out the Bose amp and replace it with my Bit One audio processor (and then connect my 5 channel JL Audio amplifier). Is there a product out there that can convert PCM 3.0 fiber optic to a generic optical signal?

I'd like to avoid daisy chaining the Bose amplifier in line with everything else. Tell me it's possible!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure, purchase and insert an Optolyzer in series with the MOST loop and its components (no need to remove anything) and connect to the Optolyzer front panel S/PDIF output to get your audio.

Simple.

http://www.k2l.de/products/analysis-...ction-features

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:08 PM
thomer
4th Gear

ltc, thank you for the quick response. Searching the forum for Optolyzer and you seem to be the only one championing this product. At first glance, it seems like overkill as I am neither developing, analyzing, or testing anything. I simply need to pass the signal along in a different format.

Do you know how much the Optolyzer G2 Production (hardware only) module would cost a regular bloke?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It is expensive. They may not even sell it to you.

I am not surprised that no one else would "champion" the product, since is only used by those who design the MOST components for Porsche, Audi and Mercedes.

It was simply an answer to your question and desire to maintain the PCM and still be able to extract audio from the MOST ring in an optical output format (in this case S/PDIF or TOSLINK).

It is not a typical or simple DIY by any means, but then again neither is what you are trying to do.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another option would be to contact Moni at NAV-TV and see if he has something to offer you.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM
thomer
4th Gear

Well, I got a quote from K2L and it's $8650. I think that's German for "**** off!"

I'm really surprised there is nothing out there after so many years of PCM 3.0, and a clear demand for a product like this. Everyone is so quick to replace the factory head unit (maybe I will find out why when I bring it home) but I would default to keeping it stock so I don't lose the integration. I will be researching new head units and related components over the next long while...

Mobridge has the perfect product for PCM 2.x. I have contacted their sales reps and asked if/when PCM 3.0 would be supported (their hardware doesn't need to change, just a software refresh) and they don't know. Maybe somebody will get back to me with a date but I'm assuming it's dead in the water.

I have not looked at NAV-TV yet. For now I will plug in the Bose amp to my Bit One processor and see if it can work some magic.

I plan on running 6.5" components up front. Do you know if I can fit 6.5" components in the rear too? I cannot find a list of speaker sizes for the Cayenne.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try contacting MoBridge direct in Aus.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
thomer
4th Gear

Yeah, I heard back from an Aussie Mobridge rep this morning. They have not started working on the software for PCM 3.0. But the guy, Julian Merritt, stated "in all likelihood it will be done by the end of the year."
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by thomer
Do you know if I can fit 6.5" components in the rear too? I cannot find a list of speaker sizes for the Cayenne.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
crxvtec
5th Gear

Hi,

I can confirm that the PCM 3.0 to TOSLINK product discussed in this thread is now available - I have one in my car.

There are 2 variants:

Mobridge DA1 takes MOST bus, outputs TOSLINK.
Mobridge DA3 takes MOST bus, has an advanced DSP and outputs both TOSLINK and RCA (8x)

I am running the DA3. This is an impressive solution and will make any amp sound even better when tuned with the right knowledge and expertise.

Quick Reply: Converting proprietary PCM 3.0 signal to generic optical