Sponsored by:

Replacing my Side Marker Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Replacing my Side Marker Lights

I purchased clear OEM side marker lights to replace my yellow ones. Has anyone done this and how easy/difficult is it to R&R the currently installed markers?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

There are pictorial DIYs over on Renntech - you have to be a contributing member to see the DIY section.
It is a simple but kind of frustrating job. Even taking your time it is less than an hour for both sides.
Take out 5 or more of the torx screws holding the fender liner in place (2 to 3 on each side of the marker light.
Bend the fender liner out of the way. Swear at the fender liner because it keeps trying to rip the skin off your hands. Jam some rags into the ends of the opening to help hold the liner out of your way.
Pull the light out of the marker housing.
Undo the two torx screws holding the marker in the fender and remove it. Use your 1/4 inch socket with articulating head and torx drive socket to do this. Oh, you don't have one? Go shopping.
Put the new clear on in place.
Drop the torx screw down into the bottom of the fender area.
Use your magnet-on-a-stick to retrieve the screw. Oh, you don't have one? Don't drop the screw.
Plug the light back into the new housing. Note it is in a different spot than the old one. This is so you don't see the yellow bulb through the clear lens.
Re-attach the fender liner.
Do the other side. Stand back and admire your work. Show your wife. She will give you "that look". Take her to dinner.

Cheers,
John

Quick Reply: Replacing my Side Marker Lights