Sponsored by:

05 Cayenne bluetooth/ipod solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Mefis
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 05 Cayenne bluetooth/ipod solution

SO i got my Cayenne , now considering a bluetooth/ipod upgrade.

I got the PCM 2.1 (DVD) but without the phone buttons (TEL). My understanding is that all MOST Bluetooth solutions require the TEL buttons, so i'll have to swap the head unit for a 2.1 with TEL buttons, then i'll get a mobridge bluetooth.

IN the cd changer spot which is empty i'll put the mobridge ipod solution. Anybody knows if there is an apple-less hard-disk based MOST mp3 solution? I guess i can slap a really large SD card on the mobridge. Any mobridge owner that has done this can comment?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
davek9
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 177 Posts

Greetings all, new to this forum but not to Rennlist, I'm looking at an '05 CTT it belongs to a good friend and is currently in my driveway for me to checkout/eval. as I was thinking of an S.

I really like the Turbo Pepper however I'm spoiled by Bluetooth Phone and MP3 player in my other cars, from what I'm reading it is a doable add to this '05 CTT that now has multi-CD which I would not use.

So I'll need to change out the head unit as this one does not have a "phone" button and add this Mobridge unit?
Can someone please give me a ball park $ of doing all this?

Edit: did some more searches via goggle and found other threads here on this, still not clear if I do need the "phone" head unit, or only the Parrot unit will work, may be easer and more cost effective to keep looking for another Pepper.

Thank you,

Dave

Last edited by davek9; 01-17-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Mefis
Rennlist Member

So the complexity comes from the optical bus system MOST, so if you want to leave alone the stock amplifier (which has a MOST input) then you need a MOST bluetooth kit which as far as i have seen are the mobridge, the navtec and the viseeo. All those seem to indicate that the phone buttons in the head unit are needed.

THe parrot would work fine because it will switch the amplifier outputs through a relay to the parrot's built-in amplifier. If you are fine with that, go for it.

I did installed the mobridge ipod on the trunk, where the multi CD would go. I had to remove the optical ferrules from the connector, it can be done easily. Very happy with the results!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...54-aux-in.html as a cheap temporary solution right before a road trip and it works great no static. Interestingly I switched from HTC to iPhone 5 and even the phone works now. The call comes in and it goes thru the speakers. It is clear. My wife didn't know I had the phone plugged in and it is hands free. When the call ends it goes back to music or Pandora. For $50 it sure beats $550 for the mobridge and $1000 for the head unit with phone button.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
magicfan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just bought a 2006 Cayenne S and it has got the PCM but no factory installed phone. On the main, when I press phone it says no phone available. How can I use my phone and my ipod?
This topic is a bit confusing to me so any help would be most appreciated.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Mefis
Rennlist Member

Well, check under the front passenger seat, you may have a cell phone preparation which is a 18 pin harness that may be just dangling there.

Then you go and buy a MOST (optical fiber) enabled bluetooth/ipod interface. So in the cayenne, the audio signals are transported by optic fiber, hence there are no "audio input" points anywhere. The MOST device such as mobridge will have a harness to feed the +12/ground (from that 18 pin connector if you have it) and will have an optic fiber input. The DVD unit under the passenger seat has a fiber connection on it, so you will unplug that, re-do the optic fiber harness (since your new bluetooth device has to be added to the optical loop) and that is all.

I still have not figured out if my cayenne came with a built-in microphone or not, so far i am using the one that came with the MOST kit.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
magicfan
Advanced

Thanks Mefis, I am going to look and see whats under the seats.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Just installed all the dension upgrades and they work perfectly. Obviously not as awesome as a new alpine head unit but I'm just compelled to keep the stock PC 2.1 for some reason.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by icspres
Just installed all the dension upgrades and they work perfectly. Obviously not as awesome as a new alpine head unit but I'm just compelled to keep the stock PC 2.1 for some reason.
Hi -

You have a very nice CTTS. I also just purchase a white 06 CTTS and also live in the Northern Virginia area. I'm also contemplating a dension 500sbt bluetooth kit for my CTTS. You said you have it installed on yours... how do you like it? Is it reliable? Was it hard to install? I understand it has to be installed in the back of the car - however, with the bluetooth... do you have to run the mic wire from the trunk area to the front of the car? That seems like a big job. Please advise.

Kiet
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
csmarx
Instructor

Originally Posted by TozoM8
I did this https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...54-aux-in.html as a cheap temporary solution right before a road trip and it works great no static. Interestingly I switched from HTC to iPhone 5 and even the phone works now. The call comes in and it goes thru the speakers. It is clear. My wife didn't know I had the phone plugged in and it is hands free. When the call ends it goes back to music or Pandora. For $50 it sure beats $550 for the mobridge and $1000 for the head unit with phone button.
This looks great! How does the iPhone 5 plug in so that both music and phone works?

Thanks,
-Christian
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

3.5mm headphone minijack. It is a frequency modulator, but it is hard wired not like most that just plugs into the cig lighter and broadcast your music. Because of FCC regulations they can be no more that 0.5 watt so all your local stations will overpower it. This on wired between the antenna and the radio. When you turn it on it cuts the antenna out so your radio only sees this one station, yours. It works on the iPhone like the headphone. Play your music, but when a call comes in it stops the music switches to phone. You have to hit accept on the phone and it comes in clear. When you or the other party hangs up it goes back to music.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 AM
mchang
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Tozo

Can you tell me where the antenna wire is located and what adapter, if any, you needed to get? Thanks.

Nevermind. I read your post. Sounds like euro antenna adapter and the connection is nearby the head unit.

Any tips for getting power and at the trim around the radio?

Quick Reply: 05 Cayenne bluetooth/ipod solution