Notices

955/957 Cayenne DIY: Battery Replacement Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997JJ3
Thanks for a great DIY. Timely as our 09 CS battery was slowing heading south. Replaced today w/DuracellAGM from Battery Plus for $200. Biggest hassle was trim pieces. Total install time for first timer was about 45min
I know it's forever since you did this... Do you happen to remember if you got the H8 or H9 size battery?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:18 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by hgupta
Is there any disadvantages to an AGM battery? I see that Duracell Platinum one from battery plus fits perfectly (Group 95R H9), and is AGM technology. I've been upgrading and adding electronics lately, and I need something that is rock solid.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replac...rdlg/sli95ragm

It certainly has an impressive specs, but also twice as expensive as others.

Also, I have a 2010 Cayenne S. Does that year require "registering the battery"? Or is that only on newer cars?
Did the battery swap this morning. Decided to use an AGM 95R size battery.
Works perfectly in my 2010 Cayenne
Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

It's amazing that my orig battery has lasted 11 yrs and is still going strong. But it won't last forever so I replaced it with a $220 Bosch AGM battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-S6588B-...te+AGM+Battery
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Also, I have a 2010 Cayenne S. Does that year require "registering the battery"? Or is that only on newer cars?
Your 2010 doesn't have battery registration.. that began with the 958 series.. and it's unclear if it's actually necessary or doable on those vehicles. Two Porsche service departments dismissed it out of hand - said they've never done it. Several tools that claim to be able to do it - don't.

I think the function is useless anyway since the Cayenne drastically changes charging parameters when you switch from "normal" to "sport" mode (basically a 1VDC increase in charge voltage in sport.) I believe that was done to optimize MPG in "normal" mode since that's where the MPG is rated (and they pay a gas-guzzler penalty for MPG..)

BMW did do "registration" - changing the charging rate for new vs older batteries - but I think Porsche just thought about it and then said "nah..."
Old 11-25-2016, 12:55 PM
oilspot
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Perfect guild for 2009 Porsche Cayenne V6

Cant thank you enough for the guide. On my 2009 I did use a battery tender attached to the front 2 jumper terminals and all computer info was retained. Purchased AGM from autozone for $195 was a perfect fit and it was in stock. The picture on the rear time pieces were a little different on mine from the attached photos but I was a great video that guided me through the removal of the rear seat trim pieces. The whole job took me 40 min to complete and there were zero complications. This is one super easy DIY project. I am not a mechanic by a long shot (office job my whole life) but I do love to tinker and I think just about anyone could do this without any issues. Just be careful when pulling and placing the battery - it is as stated before in the forum very heavy and you must lift it up and over the vehicle and all towards the center of the car. It can put a strain on your back so if you have a touchy back, get a friend to remove and replace )

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:12 PM
edhamo
AutoX

Did the battery swap this morning. Decided to use an AGM 95R size battery.
Works perfectly in my 2010 Cayenne
That would have been a 15.5" inch length right? Its strange how few vendors feel comfortable recommending you that; even if you are willing to pay a bit more for larger size battery. What could possibly be the downside (apart from fit - which is why we are on this forum)!?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 AM
hgupta
Instructor

If anyone reads, this, don't buy this Duracell battery. It failed after 2 years. Swapping it out at the batteries plus means re-ordering a new one (may take two weeks), paying for it up front, taking the car somewhere to swap it out, and then coming back for a warranty return. Total pain in the ***.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:42 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Just want to chime in with my experience. Changed the battery in my 2013 Cayenne GTS this weekend. Battery was 6 years old, still working, but given my experience with old batteries in other cars, decided to replace BEFORE I had a problem.

In short, very easy and no issues. 45 minute job. Autozone had exact replacement battery (get the AGM). Used a battery tender in an attempt to retain all electronic settings. Seemed to work. I had no issues, no warning lights etc. All radio settings and seat settings retained.

Battery was $190, with $18 core charge. Based upon my experience, anyone who can work a wrench should do this themselves rather than be taken advantage of at the dealer.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:01 PM
JD305
Instructor

Thumbs up Replaced today ... 2008 GTS

Well ... I think I milked the old battery for all it was worth. I had been acting up for a while, requiring a 2nd key turn to start the car. I don't drive it much .. maybe 1x per week .. in the hot south Florida weather.

I purchased the top of line Platinum Autocraft from Advanced Auto, H8 size ... it seemed the best for the price ... and the specs seemed to fit the needs of the GTS.

I was a bit surprised that the original battery was at least 1 inch longer! ... I guess it's what's called an H9 size? I am going to assume that the new H8 size is just as powerful as the original, even though it's smaller?

Any of you guys have experience with these two batteries?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 PM
intruderhog
1st Gear

Just some data points for those interested: 2009 Cayenne GTS, discovered it still had the factory installed battery stamped 22/08. Eleven years old, still working without issue but I figured it was long past time to replace. Interstate MTP-95R/H9 is the exact same battery as the OEM Varta, made in Germany, same VW stampings as pictured in one of the above posts. $201 retail. For some reason (garbage in garbage out probably) the auto parts database that every online outlet uses has an H8 as the battery size for early Cayennes, but as mentioned in the above posts the correct size is the 95R/H9. I use a 12V motorcycle battery connected to the engine bay jump start terminals to hold all codes while swapping the battery out. If you don't get in there and clean around and under the seat, the entire process should take maybe 30 minutes. Thanks to the OP for the pictures and writeup.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:28 AM
EMC Cayanne
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Your 2010 doesn't have battery registration.. that began with the 958 series.. and it's unclear if it's actually necessary or doable on those vehicles. Two Porsche service departments dismissed it out of hand - said they've never done it. Several tools that claim to be able to do it - don't.

I think the function is useless anyway since the Cayenne drastically changes charging parameters when you switch from "normal" to "sport" mode (basically a 1VDC increase in charge voltage in sport.) I believe that was done to optimize MPG in "normal" mode since that's where the MPG is rated (and they pay a gas-guzzler penalty for MPG..)

BMW did do "registration" - changing the charging rate for new vs older batteries - but I think Porsche just thought about it and then said "nah..."
BMW did it for EPA MPG ratings. The 550 is NOTORIOUS for eating non factory battery's because of the "optimization" and charging profiles.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suggest replacing seat bolts on 955 - I've seen few triple stars bolts stripped after 15 years - I got my replacement bolts from O'Reilly Auto Parts - but i didn't save the P/N
Old 03-08-2020, 11:22 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JD305
Any of you guys have experience with these two batteries?
I was in a bind - had to get H8 from autozone. 2 years later it started acting up. I am going to replace it with Interstate H9 AGM
But if next time i need the battery in a bind - Costco has H8 AGM - not as good as H9 AGM, but in emergency and if there is no Interstate dealer nearby - Interstate H8 AGM from Costco should do.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:43 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's forever since you did this... Do you happen to remember if you got the H8 or H9 size battery?
I purchased an H9 battery and it did not fot my 08 957. The positive terminal was just to short to reach. but the battery first in the compartment.

The H8 fit perfectly

Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Battery Replacement Guide