Sponsored by:

PTV Plus - how important

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PTV Plus - how important

I just ordered a Cayenne S with PASM and PDCC - but without PTV Plus, thinking that I never had a car that needed this type of electronic help and being an SUV should not make a difference. Now I have second thoughts. Any input as to the marginal importance of this feature? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dealer said the option is being ordered more and more, and as you know, it lets you go through the corners faster by breaking the inside rear wheel and sending more power to the outside rear wheel, but he says it isn't by any means a must-have. i would have prioritized the extras like you did: PASM, A/S, PDCC and finally PTV+. since the diesel S i am ordering does not offer PDCC but only offers PASM, A/S and PTV+, i will probably get the PTV+ for my "cornering help". i take it your order can still be changed- did you check what a similarly optioned GTS would cost compared to your Cayenne S as you optioned it? GTS includes an impressive amount of really nice features that are optional or more expensive in the Cayenne S for much less than it would cost to add all those options to the S. Personally I would absolutely go for the GTS instead of the S if the Diesel S weren't available here.
FWIW, i believe acura calls AWD that includes a technology with a somewhat similar purpose "super handling AWD".
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also the manually locking rear diff with the PTV+ might come in handy when it snows...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vehicle is a snake without any of those $4K checkboxes. Much better option is the air suspension. Far better over bumps and in turns.

Unless you're on the track, all those expensive acronyms wont be as good as an educated driving style
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I have all 4 of the handling/suspension tweaks; PASM, A/S, PDCC, and PTV+. My take on PTV is not so much that it allows you to take the corner faster, but on entry to the corner it gets the car rotating into the turn more quickly. The result is that turn-in is immediate and sports-car like, and steering response is improved. Although your comment about it being an SUV seems logical, I might argue that there is more benefit from PTV (and PDCC) in a tall, relatively heavy, inherently less responsive vehicle, than in a Carrera.

Hard to say which aphabet goodie is best; they all bring something to the table. I couldn't decide whether to do without any of them, with the obvious result that I ordered all of them.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Well, coming from a Carrera, and having an allergy to SUVs ( but need one nonetheless) I will need all the gizmos I can get. So I sprung for the PTV+.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

kocsis - I understand. But as an owner of many 911's over the years, I think you will find the Cayenne easily exceeds your expectations in just about every department

However

All those options add up, and if you're starting with an "S" anyway you must be close to $100K. For that money, consider a TT.

Mileage is just as good and there is no substitute for TQ. I use to race/track 911's, including a 7-CUP. That doesn't make me cool or anything, but I do know a bit about driving fast. The TT comes with Air Suspension, which is by far the most important option. Just like that you will be faster through turns and straightaways than any SUV out there and most cars. I'm sure you know that the street is no place to race. Get a Burmeister and bag the other acronyms. You won't spend that much more and you'll get a vehicle like nothing else out there. Fast, comfortable, dependable... everything you want.

I realize it's cool to have gizmos, but they just wont be that helpful the way you will be driving. The engine will make a far bigger difference than any of those other things. It is an extremely capable vehicle and a Porsche through and through.

When the first gen came out in 03 and all the purists were having cows, the rags that bothered to test it were virtually unanimous that not only was it the best performing on-road, but also the best off-road SUV.

Porsche learned that for most users, off-road was in the driveway and built this one with a little different bias. My CTT ('12) will run the doors off vettes and the Italian stuff unless the driver knows their stuff very well.

At very least, take one out for a test drive, you'll quickly see what I mean

In any case, enjoy. It's a great car...errr... truck... or whatever!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed Air suspension is a must have!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by allegretto
kocsis - I understand. But as an owner of many
All those options add up, and if you're starting with an "S" anyway you must be close to $100K. For that money, consider a TT.

Mileage is just as good and there is no substitute for TQ. I use to race/track 911's, including a 7-CUP. That doesn't make me cool or anything, but I do know a bit about driving fast. The TT comes with Air Suspension, which is by far the most important option. Just like that you will be faster through turns and straightaways than any SUV out there and most cars. I'm sure you know that the street is no place to race.
FWIW, my Cayenne S MSRP was right at $93K with full leather, Premium Plus Package, Bose, Sport exhaust, Spyder wheels, and all the suspension tweaks. A similarly equipped TT was a bit over $118K, a $25K difference. Not saying the TT isn't worth the extra money if you want to spend it, just that it's not an insignificant difference. Also, I don't "race" my Cayenne on the street either, but power is much more than adequate and all of the suspension upgrades are noticeable and useful in "normal" driving. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. The difference between CT and S is about $25k, and having driven both I find the S is adequate for an SUV. Nothing will change the fact that the Cayenne is a heavy, tall vehicle and not a quick Carrera - or even an M5. Nonetheless it's the best I found of all SUVs and there is a definite improvement in handling with PASM, PDCC and PTV+. Without these the handling and feel around curves is considerably worse. So, now I'm just awaiting my car, scheduled for January production.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kocsis
Thanks for all the input. The difference between CT and S is about $25k, and having driven both I find the S is adequate for an SUV. Nothing will change the fact that the Cayenne is a heavy, tall vehicle and not a quick Carrera - or even an M5. Nonetheless it's the best I found of all SUVs and there is a definite improvement in handling with PASM, PDCC and PTV+. Without these the handling and feel around curves is considerably worse. So, now I'm just awaiting my car, scheduled for January production.
I think you will be very happy with the car and amazed at how well it handles with the options you ordered. Congrats and good luck with your wait!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FWIW, my Cayenne S MSRP was right at $93K with full leather, Premium Plus Package, Bose, Sport exhaust, Spyder wheels, and all the suspension tweaks. A similarly equipped TT was a bit over $118K, a $25K difference. Not saying the TT isn't worth the extra money if you want to spend it, just that it's not an insignificant difference. Also, I don't "race" my Cayenne on the street either, but power is much more than adequate and all of the suspension upgrades are noticeable and useful in "normal" driving. Just my $.02.
And for me the handling is more than adequate and the power of the TT is noticeable and useful in normal driving

guess that's what makes the World go 'round...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

Couldn't agree more. Don't care for any of the options discussed here and didn't go for them on '11 CTT. Handling is amazing.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Using my favorite 360 degree exit off the Mass Turnpike (exit 17), I could feel the non-gizmo equipped (meaning no PDCC, no PTV+) CS lean and roll...even my wife complained. In comparison to my 997, which takes the turn at 60 mi. like on rails. Of course, I assume that even with all the gizmos the CS won't drive like the Carrera S.
Funny story - about a year ago a cop pulled me over for driving 65 in that exit. I told him that's the only fun I can still have, and he let me go with a smile.
P.S. I actually do have other means of having fun.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
^^^

Couldn't agree more. Don't care for any of the options discussed here and didn't go for them on '11 CTT. Handling is amazing.
My friend in Houston has an '11 CTT and he's just very well off (River Oaks). He went in and ordered "everything", even CCB's. So he has PDCC and PTV. I drove his and it really didn't feel that different to me.

OTOH, I have driven them without A/S (non-TT of course) and did not like the ride at all, far too much rebound and roll for my tastes. So while I'm sure in some circumstances the extra electronics can finesse out some advantage, to me the A/S is an enormous improvement. Would not buy one without it.

When I bought mine did drive an "S" with A/S and it felt good, but the Turbo is just so darn powerful...

Quick Reply: PTV Plus - how important