Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping from the engine compartment

Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping from the engine compartment

I own the 2005 Cayenne base V6 with 92k. While driving home this afternoon, I noticed a soft thumping sound emanating from somewhere in front of the dash. The frequency is very even at about 70 thumps/minute - like a pulse. The frequency does not change with varying RPM. When I am in park and the engine is idling, I can hear it the most. When the engine is switched off, the car is quiet. I have activated every control switch on the car from A/C to the four wheel hi/lo range switch. The thumping is not affected by anything except the ignition being turned off. There appear to be no other symptoms...Have ANY of you Cayenne owners had this happen? I will bring the car to Porsche on Monday - I am covered under the CPO warranty

Last edited by Winterreise; 10-20-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I think there seems to be a connection between the sound and the cruise control. I cycled the C.C. on and off and the noise stopped. It would re-commence randomly and sometimes when I would engage the C.C. it would stop, sometimes not. At the moment the car runs "quietly" Strange...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thumping from the engine compartment