Sponsored by:

Slowing down transmission clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slowing down transmission clunk

Well I have noticed that when slowly stopping and the transmission downshifts into 2nd gear i can really feel it. Is this normal? its a 2005 and i dont think it does it all the time
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Were fluids chanded recently?
Call porsche service at a dealer to get a quick diagnosis.
Ed
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Best case it is dirty fluid as was the issue with mine at 80k miles.

Worst case is the valve body is toasted.... This could be big $$
Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad is it, jerky or oh my god I think my transmission just grenaded? Mine was the valvebody and was an expensive fix even with free labor. You need the valvebody and a matching TCM which I think was $1200 or so total including the fluid. Labor estimate was $500 or so if I remember correctly. If it's the valvebody it'll get worse over time and you'll definitely know it when it happens, not subtle.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think you always need a matching TCM.. sometimes you can have the software reflashed.. no? Mine is the valve body and my clunk is between 5th/4th. Always when i want to stomp it to pass and then boom.. quite unsettling. I have found if i let my foot off the gas and then manual shift down and then wait for the shift I can avoid it. Its a little annoying but its buying me some time.. since I have done coolant pipes and drive shaft already this year.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Cuba
Instructor

I've heard this TCM question argued and all I can say is my Porsche tech was adament that I needed the matching TCM for the new VB and that it isn't the same VB as the original. My assumption here (and it is just an assumption) is that if you got the remanufactured unit rather than the next generation VB you would use the old TCM.

Your symptoms are the same as mine were, generally 4-5 shift and it scared the bejesus out of me the first time it happened. FWIW my tech said it wasn't doing any further damage by delaying the repair but I wouldn't wait forever. Good luck to you both, may your repairs go well and labor costs stay reasonable.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same symptoms as OP on my 04 CTT. They do not happen all the time. I took it to dealer today and they said my control arm bushings were cracked and I needed a new trasmission, TCM and Valve body? $7k cost... My CTT I think shifts fine and not weird shifting except the clunk once in a while at slow speeds while stopping
So basically I am going somewhere else do get 2nd option. Unfortunately my Indy does not have the software for reprograming the computer.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

stealerships can be soooo offensive. Did you take it to the one in mill valley? Which dealer is it? I will remember NEVER to go there.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. I took it to Walnut Creek. I have a contact for Rector so will try them next.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
johnarusso
Advanced

Guys, I use Sonnen in Mill Valley all the time. Andrew and Gary are good guys and always helpful even though I have stopped paying them to do the work and have been doing my own. I still buy my parts there - if you order off the web site the discount is as good as any for original Porsche parts and you can use the will call option to save shipping.

I have a lot (too much) of experience doing the VB repair. My best advice is to drop the VB and take your original out to be remanned, then put it back in. Avoids compatibility and TCU issues, of which there are many (My first VB I bought and installed was for a completely different version of the O9D transmission - that sucked).

Valve Body Pros in San Jose for us Cali guys is your best bet.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
johnarusso
Advanced

BTW, I also like Horton Transmissions in San Rafael - Steve Horton and Jim have forgotten more about trannys than I will ever know - again, for us Norcal guys they might be of some help if you don't want to get your hands dirty.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

How much does it cost to have your VB reman'd (ballpark)? Since I live in Davis all the porsche dealerships are about a wash distance wise.. Good to know that sonnen is good source for parts.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
johnarusso
Advanced

About $600. Valve Body Pros in San Jose is your best bet for quick turnaround. Tell them I sent you. You can save a few $$ using Sun Belt Valve Body Rebuilders in Fla - Fabian - really excellent service - that's who I used.

Or take it to Jim at Hortons - now that he's done my swap for me he should be able to do yours blindfolded.

Good luck - let me know if I can be of any help.

Quick Reply: Slowing down transmission clunk