Sponsored by:

2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?

We're about to finish the lease on a 2010 Mercedes GL diesel. Brilliant machine. Second one we've owned and a total of 40K+ miles between theme. Whisper quiet, "smell of an oily rag" fuel efficiency, reliable ... and now, even decent resale value. But enough of that kind of stuff ... time to get a wildly expensive and unreliable thing to loathe as it gets flat-bedded to the dealer month after month ... : ) So ... Cayenne or Range Rover ... they seem to be title contenders for most expensive, worst depreciation, least reliable SUVs in the last 10 years (the Rangie holding the long term achievement award and the Cayenne being the feisty up-and-comer ... : )

I'm thinking the innovation in the 2013 Range Rover
http://www.sae.org/mags/SVE/11341

merits consideration for me to bury the hatchet and try once more.
An astonishing 420Kg lighter in all aluminum monocoque (a first for SUVs) brings it to about Cayenne curb weight, and about $120K loaded with technology that's not on the Porsche yet, it's a veritable bargain!

Distinctive inside and out. Infinitely more appealing cabin design, materials and finish. More appealing to the eye than the outgoing model (basically unchanged since '08, give or take.) Still a bit too ornate and fussy in the design details for me, but toned down compared to the decorations of the current model (give or take the peculiar taillight design flourishes.)

The Cayenne (be it diesel or hybrid or Turbo) just doesn't seem to have anything in particular other than the badge in its favor. Surely the Cayenne will be the better car on track in extremis, but so what? I doubt the Rangie has a distinct advantage off-road. I think the cabin and cargo space is larger for the Brit. That could be an issue when "downsizing" from the larger GL. The new GL, by the way, is also an option, but that one, I already know very well. It's more a matter of one of the Cayenne and Range Rover contending to convince me to choose it above the GL. Perhaps that's the gist of it -- I'm unlikely to replace a GL with a Cayenne, but perhaps I could be convinced to try the Range Rover, only, is it a better vehicle than the Cayenne?

Given how local Porsche dealers are now as bad or worse than local Land Rover dealers, I think the ownership experience will be much the same.

Have others researched these two in detail?
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

We have just begun the discussion. My wife currently drives our 2004 Cayenne S. it has been a good, reliable vehicle with roughly 115K on the odometer. I'm thinking of keeping it for my winter beater and dog hauler since it won't be worth much as a trade.

My wife prefers "boxy" vehicles, and therefore likes the external design of the new RR better than the new Cayenne. She has agreed to test drive each one and see what she thinks. We may also consider an Audi.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I visited the Paris motor show on Thursday and had a looong sit in the new RR. I must say: WOOOOOOOOOOW. of course, they had only Autobiography top-of-the-line models, but nevertheless - design, interior space and utility is like nothing else on the market nowadays. new cayenne looks like a hyundai and the RR stands really out and cannot be mistaken for anything else on the road.

btw, the guy sitting in the back is 6'7" and still had plenty of leg room.

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbors new Range Rover has spent as much time in service as it has been in his garage. He is loaner Ranger Rover would jot start and had to be towed. After two weeks he get his RR back and within a week it was back at service. Ask him what he things of Range Rover.

Sorry but I can forgive for a lot but not my expensive vehicle not working when I need it too. For dependability, the Cayenne has the RR beat big time from what I have read.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Range Rover reliability (or lack, thereof) is one of my biggest concerns...

A friend of mine just bought a new diesel Audi Q7. I've spent quite a bit of time in that vehicle lately, and it's very nice. I think we'll really consider one...
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Reliability concerns are somewhat overstated. No question, there are issues. This should not be a mission critical vehicle in the garage.

I have RR experience spanning four decades with "Toyota" reliability, but I think my opening post illustrates I'm not blind to the problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Which is the best?
I used to manage a wine bar and got asked that question so many times:what is the best wine you have?
My answer invariably was:whichever one you enjoy and suits you most
I asked:what style do you prefer,who will be joining you,which setting...
There was always more than one worth considering
The RR is definitely one of them
I have experience driving RRs when I lived in France in the 80s,and back then there was nothing else like it and you pretty much were king of the road,and could drive and go anywhere..in style and comfort
I had this 5sp '78 in olive green and would drive back from the countryside with a dirty dusty car,not wash it..yet when I drove up to some of the hot clubs in Paris,they would usually park it right in front of the place( I did have Camel Trophy and Paris-Dakar rallye stickers all over the back windows )
The RR is an iconic car like the 911..lots of history around them
The one in the pic at the Paris Auto show looks gorgeous
In my opinion they have gotten a bit too plush,though they definitely retain their elegance and presence
I believe the Cayenne is a different kind of driving machine: more like a large and roomy sedan than a SUV..and in the case of a Cayenne turbo,more like a super sports car(especially with a few goodies added ) and as far as reliability,mine has been driven very hard during it's first few miles yet has 10K flawless ones
The choice is yours,go with your heart and happy trails...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

We looked hard at the RR. If had been for me, instead of my wife, it is a lot more likely that we would have gotten the RR. We went there thinking we wanted an Evoque for her , but we didn't, and we got to the RR right away.

While we liked the Cayenne for her, we ended up ordering a new Mercedes diesel ML for her. Porsche is 45 miles one way across Houston and the MB dealer is 5 miles away. The MB dealer rolled out the red carpet for her too on this car. We had passed on the MB last time.

But to the RR.

I will say this for the RR. My friends and other guys I know that have the RR really like them. And they tend to stay with RR too.

One of my buddies got the 2012 RR Sport Supercharged for him. He liked it so much, and his wife did too, that they went and got her a new RR too a couple of months later. Did I say it is fast - it is. It has serious acceleration for a big girl. A Cayenne would take it in the twisties, but not many RR owners would care. But pack it up with folks and gear and go hunting, or skiing, or to the game, or just half across Texas, it works.

Another guy I know did the same thing. He had the RR Sport. Then the RR. Then the RR with every last thing you can get on one. Then this year his wife got a RR too. And I am pretty sure he is trading his for the new 2013 one too .

They have had pretty solid reliability out of the RR as far as I know. The RR can be hard on brakes , and gas, and there maybe was some small stuff, but overall those guys like them. As far as gas goes, the depreciation of either a Cayenne or a RR far out weighs, or out costs if you will, just about any fuel costs. Certainly for the amount of mileage that you referred to above.

The RR is just a different kind of vehicle than the Cayenne.

Last edited by TexasRider; 10-01-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 AM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Isn´t the RR shown in Paris only for Europe a 2013, but US will only get it as a 2014? And they might not get a Diesel. It clearly looks nice, though, I have to say, if you like sporty, the Cayenne is the much better car. The Audi Q7 will also come in as a new model in 2013. But now, if we compare next generation cars, then you might look at the porsche.com page and see the station wagon version of the Panamera. I am sure, that this gives you some idea of the next generation Cayenne. If you want to buy today, I can clearly recommend the Cayenne. If you have another year, then there will be a new Audi Q7, a new BMW X5, a new RR and most likely a facelifted Cayenne. Oh, actually comparing the Cayenne to Hyundai seems to be like a funny comparison, maybe when never seen a Hyundai. My Luxor Beige interior is still the nicest interior that I have seen, so far. And if you do not have small kids, you might go for the full leather version, which just looks awesome.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Seriously? While it looks superb and may be a luxurious iconic vehicule, I think the last generation RR drove like a Ford. Hope they improve it under the new TATA managment but I hardly doubt it.
IMO the german engineering in the Cayenne is in a different league, it just feels and drives right.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We looked at the MY 12 RR, but ended up unexpectedly in a Cayenne. We thought the interior was better & it certainly drove a lot better.
If we had 3 kids then a RR or D4, is a better size, or a GL, but we don't like the MB bling.
RR reliability is very good these days, lots of friends have them.
I am certain that in a few years we will test a RR, I have had two before, so I am a big fan, they have a special ambiance that others don't come close to, but for driving the CD blows it away.
We thought the Q7 was very average, felt smaller than the Cayenne, just didn't bother.
All in all RR v Cayenne is a different market.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Apples and oranges: RR is an (unreliable truck) an Cayenne is a SPORT utility vehicle. 2013 RR certainly looks plush and comfy but IMO they are still years behind in efficiency, reliability and handling.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is only 1 RR ..

new one looks sensational.

a cut above everything else on the market.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfo
there is only 1 RR ..

new one looks sensational.

a cut above everything else on the market.
I tend to agree -- it "defines" the luxury SUV with off-road prowess.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997CS4
Apples and oranges: RR is an (unreliable truck) an Cayenne is a SPORT utility vehicle. 2013 RR certainly looks plush and comfy but IMO they are still years behind in efficiency, reliability and handling.
If you look at the 2013 in detail (link in my first post to the SAE review) the Range Rover has closed those years down to a narrow margin. I'd still tip the power/handling to the Cayenne Turbo Power Kit (540 horses) but at $20K for the power and $130K for a nicely specc'd (but not loaded) Cayenne, that's $150K -- it's absurdly expensive. It really should be $100K loaded since the RR is $107K loaded and maybe $130K loaded with the Power Kit and odd luxury stuff for those wanting to throw money at it.

I think the Range Rover takes second place on power and handling, a close third to the GL, which for 2013 includes the dynamics equivalents of PDCC and PTV.

Just on price, I give 1st place to Benz, a close 2nd to Land Rover and "disqualified" to the Cayenne Turbo.

When I try to compare on spec at lower power levels, the performance gap is erased and the "entry level" RR (not "Supercharged") is comparable to an equipped Cayenne S and the 2013 GL gas engine in 450 or 550 (about 500 horses.)

The 2013 GL is available only in the gas engines (no apparent reason why the Bluetec hasn't updated yet, but I think the Benz diesel has fallen behind the game ... and with two diesel engine options, the more powerful Porsche diesel of the two is quite appealing though again, wildly expensive.)

I don't expect the Rangie to be available in diesel in the US market, the more powerful of the two diesels from Porsche isn't in the US (yet) and that means I'm looking at waiting for diesel ... not sure that makes sense in my case since the current lease will expire by year-end.

Quick Reply: 2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?