Sponsored by:

SUV lust from a surprising source.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Post SUV lust from a surprising source.

Audi has been making all the right moves lately in their products and marketing.

So it's interesting to read the comments in today's Wall Street Journal by Len Hunt, Audi's US head, concerning the moves they'd like to make next in their quest to catch BMW.

The article says:

"With 2001 sales of 83,000 cars, Mr. Hunt knows reaching the 200,000-sales plateau will take years. Besides defining the Audi brand, two other major steps also need to happen, he says. First, he needs to fill holes in his product lineup, most notably a sport-utility vehicle. Second, he needs to shore up customer service, an oft-heard criticism of Audi. "It could be better," Mr. Hunt concedes."

It's been hotly debated on this board, and others on Rennlist, whether SUV's are still relevant, and did Porsche make a big bet on a dying segment. I've also wondered if PAG is late to the game.

SUV may be meaningless in Europe and Asia,
but I find it reassuring that in the largest autmotive market in the world, an SUV is a manufacturer "must have".

That said, I wish Weissach would get the thing to market already, and start building race cars.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:06 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike, don't let the Audi racing enthusiasts find out about this, they'll be up-in-arms over it.

I guess the SUV, like it or not, has established itself as a product segment that just won't go away.

It reminds me that at this year's Detroit Show, the Station Wagon made a return to the forefront of auto design & marketing. Recall this segment began with the requirement to get from the train station to the ranch back in the 20's. Actually, it goes back further. Studebaker was able to establish itself as the #1 wagon manufacturer when the "Conestoga" as a cross-country conveyance was supplanted by the need to get from farm-to-market (rail spur) in the late 19th century.

Anyway, the more things change...
Old 02-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Kevin

"Conestoga", huh?

Let's see... Carrera, Cayenne...

...Conestoga begins with "c"

Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Quick Reply: SUV lust from a surprising source.