Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The topic that started more flames than Zippo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 06:46 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Post The topic that started more flames than Zippo...

(or Bic for you young guys)

Evidently in the last couple of days Porsche launched a website for the Cayenne. www.porsche-cayenne.com

Interesting to see their viewpoint, and note that they acknowledge the controversy on the very first page, quoted below:

"Surrounded by speculation, curiosity and a measure of skepticism, the first Porsche sport utility vehicle, has been years in the making.
Over the coming months the entire story of Cayenne will unfold here. Each chapter above will be published as the material becomes available. The testing, technology and the process of building the Cayenne will be revealed in rich detail. Upon its arrival the final chapter will be written and the most anticipated vehicle in our history will be unveiled.
We invite you to begin the story of Cayenne by exploring our featured chapter: Bloodlines."

the intro has the feel of the old "Are you listening?" sales video.

Check it out.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Mike,
There is really no point anymore in saying too much about this subject. The Pepper Pot is reality. They are taking orders and that is that. Porsche now sinks or swims on this project,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-23-2001, 04:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Somebody must be monitoring this board. Porsche spies. Friendly ones though. Last night when I got home. there was a package from Porsche in the mailbox. In this package was a nice little presentation pack of, yes you guessed it, the new SUV. I have been invited to receive more information as it comes out, and to participate in test driving the SUV in the spring. Hey maybe they will give me one for the weekend. I mailed my acceptance this morning,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-23-2001, 12:29 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

"Ve have our vays of convincing you, Adrian"

Best regards,

Porsche, AG
Old 11-23-2001, 12:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Adrian

Seriously, what was in the packet, anything new?

Mike
Old 11-24-2001, 05:20 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

If Porsche needs any other enthusiasts to test drive the new Cayenne....I know myself and a few others would be willing to give it a spin. As an owner of one of the water cooled porsches that were controversial to the 911, I am open to the idea of a Porsche SUV. Chevy claims "the most powerful SUV on Earth" in its commercials. Wait til they see the Cayenne.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Mike,
In the package was a nice little brochure showing 3 Cayennes on the road and then a brief overview of Porsches AWD history. The packet included the invitation to participate in the program, a stamped return envelope and two sticky things that I have yet to work out what they are for. The box it all came in is also very nice,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-26-2001, 07:14 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Adrian

Thanks for the additional info.

Here in the states these programs are called "relationship marketing". A lot of the car companies have gotten into it.

Every time you check a box in a questionaire that asks "I'll be in the market for a new car in ___ months", that puts you into the relationship cycle. The answers to the other questions also qualify what sort of a prospect you are.

What you recieve is based on how soon the marketer thinks you'll be buying a product in their category. You must be a prime prospect for them, especially considering the test drive invite.

I can't quite figure out how PCNA's programs work. Sometimes I'll get some expensive mailings and videos, and then for a couple years get nothing.

Since this kind of questionaire was part of the website registration, I imagine I'll be getting something before long (In addition to the Porsches, I also own an SUV.)

(And forgive my longwindedness if you're already familiar with all this)

Ciao,

Mike in Chi
Old 11-27-2001, 07:35 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Mike,
I cannot imagine why I would be a good candidate for a purchase. I have been quite critical of the Cayenne so maybe they added my name to the list to try and convert me. I really do not know but I will certainly have a test drive. Maybe I can convince them to give it to me for the weekend,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-12-2001, 01:06 PM
Karl T
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> I really do not know but I will certainly
> have a test drive.

And that's the whole point. Especially if you already have an "alternative" vehicle to your Porsche - as we do - the goal is to get you to consider Pepper during your next purchase.

To be honest, this product is either inspired or asinine, and I can't tell which. Do I feel that BMW has weakened their brand through the X5? Er, no, I actually considered buying one when we got our most recent SUV. Like many of Porsche's customers I'm not only a Porsche-centric enthusiast (with two P-cars now and one more on the way), I'm also open to the idea of a really great SUV. I wouldv'e considered the 400hp X5 if it was available.

Most important? Will the Cayenne be able to tow my 944 race car?

Karl T
Old 12-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Karl

what are the other P-cars, and what SUV did you end up with?

I have 100,000 mi on the Jeep GC, and figure it will need replacing in a year or two.

M in C

Quick Reply: The topic that started more flames than Zippo...