Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
Cayenne S
88.89%
Grand Cherokee SRT8
11.11%
other choice (please name it!)
0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Cayenne S or Grand Cherokee SRT8?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayenne S or Grand Cherokee SRT8?

I'll be shopping for a company car/daily driver/tow vehicle at some point this summer and have pretty much narrowed it down to two vehicles: a Cayenne S and the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. they're both reasonably close on size, towing capacity, performance, and price.

I actually think the Jeep looks a bit better, and I'm a life-long Jeep guy (my uncle was a Jeep dealer, our family has owned close to a dozen different Jeeps over the years).

I'm also a huge Porsche nut, love the interior of the Cayenne, and obviously the dealer experience is vastly better. And, the tow vehicle portion of the duty profile will be carting around my 996 track car, so towing a Porsche with a Porsche seems appropriate

I'm planning on leasing the car through my business so residual values/depreciation will matter as well.

so I'm a bit torn...what say ye, Rennlisters? I expect a Cayenne bias, of course, but I do think the SRT8 has its fans. I'd also be interested in any other similar vehicles that I'm clearly missing.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well they will feel really different. The jeep is largely an W164 ML with tweaks. Its extremely powerful but not tuned so much for offloading in srt trim. Wait are you talking new or used?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't believe the STR8 allows for towing due to the center exhaust. Maybe aftermarket came up with a a solution or the new one allows for towing.
The STR8 is faster to 60 if that is your standard for driving fast. It is well appointed and honestly for the money it's a great value. Pricing as you know is not the same. New SRT8 is less expensive than the Cayenne S, closer to a standard 6 which will no where near compare to an SRT8 from a speed perspective.
Interior is nice on the Jeep, personally feel the Cayenne interior is significantly nicer. In a straight line Jeep, throw a curve and that's where you will really feel the difference.
Honestly you have to drive these two back to back-literally from one dealer to the other or drive the jeep to the porsche dealer and drive them together. The difference is going to be significant one way or the other for you. One will speak to you and you will know which one after you drive it.
Both cool cars in their own right.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

The new SRT8 has a different exhaust which allows for towing. Two completely different vehicles in my opinion. All things considered, I would lean toward the Cayenne.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
AdMan21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jeep is sweet but I'd say your situation calls for the cayenne.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a hardcore Porsche fan, but in this situation, I'm more for the SRT-8. If you were considering the Cayenne Turbo, I'd change my opinion, but I just haven't been as impressed with the S. I also think the SRT-8 looks better.
I'm looking in the used market for an SUV for my wife, and am looking at '06 Cayenne Turbo/S, Grand Cherokee SRT-8, and Saab 9-7X Aero, so I'm constantly looking at these things.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM
PanamaCayenneGTS
4th Gear

I special ordered a fully loaded SRT-8 this year, but declined the purchase upon delivery due to very poor handling, driving dymanics compared to my current BMW X6 50i. Decided to order a Cayenne GTS with an estimated delivery in Sept/Oct.
The SRT-8 is very fast 0-60, almost a second faster than a non-turbo Cayenne. The cost of the Jeep is 1/2 of what a fully loaded Cayenne S or GTS will cost you. (My GTS ended up at $107K after options)
Despite the potentially huge cost savings, the Jeep just did not feel like a high quality car.
(By the way, the SRT-8 I ordered did have the hidden tow hitch and tow package factory installed)
If you can find an SRT-8 around you, take it for a test drive. I would be surprised if you picked the SRT-8 over the Cayenne.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
PanamaCayenneGTS
4th Gear

Another note on the lease as a business expense. Obviously, this depends on your accountant. My accountant feels that he can get more tax deductions and savings on a buy compared to a lease. Ask your accountant before you decide on the finance options. My understanding is that the $25K first year write-off still stands for SUVs, while on the lease side, you are limited on the total yearly payment that you can write off.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

The saab is a trail blazer SS with nicer seats.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PanamaCayenneGTS
I special ordered a fully loaded SRT-8 this year, but declined the purchase upon delivery due to very poor handling, driving dymanics compared to my current BMW X6 50i. Decided to order a Cayenne GTS with an estimated delivery in Sept/Oct.
The SRT-8 is very fast 0-60, almost a second faster than a non-turbo Cayenne. The cost of the Jeep is 1/2 of what a fully loaded Cayenne S or GTS will cost you. (My GTS ended up at $107K after options)
Despite the potentially huge cost savings, the Jeep just did not feel like a high quality car.
(By the way, the SRT-8 I ordered did have the hidden tow hitch and tow package factory installed)
If you can find an SRT-8 around you, take it for a test drive. I would be surprised if you picked the SRT-8 over the Cayenne.
Originally Posted by PanamaCayenneGTS
Another note on the lease as a business expense. Obviously, this depends on your accountant. My accountant feels that he can get more tax deductions and savings on a buy compared to a lease. Ask your accountant before you decide on the finance options. My understanding is that the $25K first year write-off still stands for SUVs, while on the lease side, you are limited on the total yearly payment that you can write off.
interesting re: handling. thanks for the real-world feedback.

the SRT8 is around $60-65k, the Cayenne S (outfitted the way I want it) would be ~$75k. but yes you can go flat bonkers with the options (easily mid 80's) and a GTS/Turbo could be well over $100k.

will run the #s by my accountant of course but I hear ya. Still think leasing is a better option but will double check.

a few other notes: not really interested in used, although a well-priced Turbo could tempt me. off road capability is not a concern.

the new SRT8 can tow, I think that's a great example of how poor design can follow a car for several generations

thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a business owner, I'm sure that you visit your clients on a regular basis. Depending on the type of clients that you have, you may want to re-think the purchase of a Cayenne.

Ignorance is bliss and believe it or not, there are just waay too many ignorant people out there that would rather trash you for driving an expensive vehicle than commend you for being successful in life. Words of advice spoken from somebody who's been there and done that....
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Would not expect any other result in this forum but theres a chance you would get the same result in a jeep forum
Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

But then the SRT8 isnt much of a sleeper either.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 PM
mhead
Intermediate

I purchased a Cayenne TSB over the Jeep...after test driving the the SRT8 I though the Prosche was far superior.The ride is completely different...My Cayenne has air suspension and it is far better than the Jeep. Towing capacity on the SRT8 was only 5,000 lbs as this truck is set up for the track not everyday versatility.

The Jeep is very fast SUV and it's well appointed...but it's built with only one thing in it's purpose...track speed...as it does not even have advertised off-road capabiilities like the Cayenne...you're better off with the Summit/Overland version with the 5.8 ltr V8 as it has more towing capacity and off road ability you would expect in a Jeep...and it get's up pretty well too!

So if you don't have to tow (over 5K lbs), want to go off-road, or don't want people talking about you because you drive a Porsche... the Jeep is a fantactic SUV...and you save a few bucks...that's important too!

I came real close to buying the Jeep but did not...and oh by the way...the dealers won't discount the SRT8 because it is a limited production vehicle...BS...

I'll stay with the Porsche
Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

anybody cross shop an ml63 amg?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne S or Grand Cherokee SRT8?