Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Air Suspension Error Messages

Has anyone had any messages from the suspension ? I got "Air Accumulator Charging" following what looked to be a problem after starting.

Suspension lowered to lowest and after a few restarts the charging message came up. All was then OK.

Could be normal, but thought I would check.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:05 PM
JeffES
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air suspension uses air in the tank (air tank) rather than the air pump - and if there are any signals generated at startup, the air pump is disabled, thus no recharging of the air tank (accumulator). Once the engine is operating properly (alternator, really), then the tank is charged, and the system is operative.
The system worked properly.
J
What sort of starting problem?
Old 06-18-2003, 01:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I started the car normally, the MF display on the console showed an IMAGE with the Words AIR SUPSENSION and a large red X over it.

The level selector show the center and low LED's lit.

It would not accept input from the control switch.

I moved over to our other building (about 1/2 a mile) the suspension was very low so I went very slowly.

After 2 restarts, the other message came up and after about 5 minutes or so it went of and everything worked OK.

My friend said he heard what sounded like a release of air at one point.(from outside)
Old 06-18-2003, 02:06 PM
JeffES
Pro

Mudman,
Did you operate the airsuspension w/o the engine running? That depletes the tank(s) pretty quickly...
Also - be aware that the air suspension is designed to move "up" when any door is opened, or not to move to a low position if any door is open. If that's happening, have your Cayenne checked out.
The display you describe is keyed by low air pressure in either of the accumulator tanks.
J
Old 06-18-2003, 02:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I did not try to operate it at all. But I know the open door interface is very sensitive. I will keep an eye on it, I did 3 very short runs in about an hour, perhaps that did it.

I will report any other occurence
Old 06-19-2003, 01:16 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

I should be able to report back on this topic tomorrow with more knowledge as I took my C in today for a similar message.

After exiting a freeway off ramp yesterday and coming to a stop, I received an "Air Suspension Error" message. No response to controls, but the truck remained at "normal" height.

Although the message disappeared when I started the truck later in the day, a persistent "shock fart noise" led me to my first service appointment...
Old 06-19-2003, 08:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thats the noise my friend described
Old 06-20-2003, 01:05 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Sorry, no update yet. Service still researching "code error messages" (they also detected a "tiptronic" error code also). I'll post details when I know more...
Old 06-20-2003, 02:13 AM
paul wolken
4th Gear

got air suspension malfunction message on start up consistently for a few days...no mechanical effect sensed

took it to dealer..could not find problem..said that they rebooted system and all is well..idicated that they have had to do this to other cars...leaves me nonplussed...i want to know why reboot is required..think that it is a band aid..hope porsche gets some insight soon..
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thanks Surf anything you can find out would be appreciated. I don't want to be at the dealer for something trivial.

Paul, how many times did it happen ? How long are your routine journeys ?

I am wondering if the system bleeds air in normal operation and that you need to run the car more to keep the accumulators charged.

Touch wood its only happened once to me but it was a strange feeling.

Surf can you also find out if the accumulators are side to side or fore and aft. I think the later because I remember mine coming up at the front when It was trying to work. The fart was from the back.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Old 06-21-2003, 02:06 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Mudman, Unfortunately after 3 days in the shop they came up with zip on all items!

Air suspension error - "could not duplicate" and no error codes found.

Tiptronic code error - I never had a problem with this but apparently the error code was there, but dated before I took delivery...

Shock fart - they said this is "normal". Believe me, the sound is not normal! It seems to be coming from the right front shock.

The bottom line, according to the service rep, is that the trucks are just too new! They are logging all as much information as they can and will hopefully be able to answer many of the unknowns that we all are questioning.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:07 AM
JeffES
Pro

There are two air accumulators - one is near the location of the front passenger seat, and the other is near the rear of the Cayenne on the driver's side.
J
Old 06-21-2003, 09:48 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Hey don't you feel like a test pilot ?

OK, I guess we stand a better chance of finding stuff out sharing info here, so I will keep on doing just that.

Thanks Jeff that makes sense.
I do feel a little bad for the shops right now tho.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:33 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting another old thread....

I'm doing valve cover gaskets so I've got the car at loading height to be able to reach things (I'm short). I dropped a required stubby T40 behind the engine and onto the belly pan, so I needed to take that off. I was able to get the car up to Terrain Height before I got the "Air Accumulator Charging" message. This was high enough to get the pan off and recover my wrench. I then tried to move the car down and got as far as "low height" before getting the same message again. I'd really like to get down to "loading height" again if possible and maybe "Special Terrain" later to get that one harness disconnected. The messages above seem to indicate that the car will only run the air pump with the engine running. My coil packs, etc are already out. Is there are way to manually run the pumps so that I can use the air suspension to my advantage until this job is done? I think that if I connect the air hose, the pump runs, but does that charge both tanks or only the front tank? Is there only one pump?

cheers,
c

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Error Messages