Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Brake Proportioning" warning on dash...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default "Brake Proportioning" warning on dash...

and no speedo. Is this a wheel sensor? Or something else? My mechanic's scan tool is in need of an update from Snap On, could not scan for drive train faults last night. Another mechanic friend of mine said it could be a "vehicle speed sensor" associated with the transmission output. Am I SOL w/out a scan tool?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.

Your P!g can not determine individual wheel speeds, so independent ABS (software controlled proportioning/balancing) is no longer possible.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Got 'er scanned, what's all this about? ABS pump? Looks like it might be time to take it to the dealer and use the warranty.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

how old is your battery ?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Kind of a long shot, but worth a try...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
How would an old battery trip a ABS sensor? It only happens when the car is driving, assuming that would be under the power provided by the alternator. They say the short term for all those codes is "ABS Pump".
Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mbrouder
How would an old battery trip a ABS sensor? It only happens when the car is driving, assuming that would be under the power provided by the alternator. They say the short term for all those codes is "ABS Pump".
On most modern vehicles - the modules have a shutdown voltage, when the voltage drops below a certain point, the module shuts down and records a fault. This can happen with an old battery during starting the engine. The faults often are for something not at all related to the low voltage condition.

On modern BMWs all sorts of interesting and exciting things happen (dashes go crazy, faults galore, windows going up/down by themselves..)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Especially when so many things pop up at once
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Yup. From what I can read on the estimate - it looks like communications problems.. which can be caused by a low voltage condition.

Just a FWIW - although the Cayenne is good about faults (hasn't tossed any - yet..) my BMWs love to throw spurious codes if they feel neglected. Before even thinking about "fixing" anything I reset all the codes (after noting them) and see if they reoccur. They very rarely do. The BMW scan tool I use (AutoEnginuity) also tells you how often the codes occured and if the faults are presently being detected. That info is also very useful for troubleshooting.

A failing coil will show repeated stored codes for misfiring, while one that was just not firing for a low voltage reason usually only shows one or two incidents. One is really indicating a problem - the other is a wild goose chase up a blind alley.

I'll just add - this is when a really good mechanic is worth their weight in gold vs one who just blindly swaps modules/parts based on what his scanner is telling him.

Another FWIW - if all he has to use is the SnapOn scanner - it isn't terribly good according to my mechanic. It misses some things and misidentifies others. A dedicated Porsche scan tool (Durametric comes to mind) is likely to be much more accurate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Brake Proportioning" warning on dash...