Sponsored by:

Help Diagnose this Sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 04:23 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 859 Posts
Default Help Diagnose this Sound!

So I just purchased a 2008 GTS from a fellow rennlister, and I am trying to diagnose the following issue:
Under heavy acceleration ONLY there is a loud knocking/banging sound coming from underneath the car (closer to the front, by your feet). Under normal driving it does not seem to be there, but if you step on it, it is very obvious and needs to be resolved.

Here is what I know:
-The drive shaft bearing has been replaced with the common aftermarket fix (the Porsche technician confirmed that this is solid).
-The air suspension just had its compressor, relay and necessary parts replaced and that is in full working order, no issues at any of the corners with bearings or anything.
-The engine torque arm was also just replaced.
-The Porsche tech confirmed that all calipers are tight, all engine mounts are solid
-The car is very clean, very solid, nothing seems to be a glaring issue

Any suggestions???
The tech said he could go in and replace the entire driveshaft, but wasn't convinced that this was the issue since there is no play in that at all and doesn't think this will resolve it.

They had it up on a lift and were spinning the wheels to try and see if they could locate any issue, but nothing... The next step is for them to put microphones in the suspension and drive it on Monday to see if they can pin point.