Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter pump seal (TCP) repair +

Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Torque converter pump seal (TCP) repair +

Car: 2004 Porsche Cayenne S, Automatic transmission, 103K miles.
Problem: Transmission Fluid (red) leaks, but no performance or gearing issues, car shifts like a dream.
Diagnosis: Per my Porsche mechanic it is leaking from Torque converter pump seal and needs to be repaired.
1. What other services make sense to be done at the same time TCP seal is being repaired. For example I was thinking Trans service, any other?
2. What other things could contribute to Transmission oil leakage other than TCP seal issue?
3. The cost was estimated around $1800 for both parts and labor. Is this reasonable?
4. According to Technical bulletin board, the recommendation by Porsche was to replace the transmission (while under warranty). Given this, would replacing just the seal guarantee the issue be solved permanently. Has anybody done this repair but not resolved the leaking issues?

Thank you
Chamilka
Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the pump seal about 40k ago. After a coolant pipe failure. No problems since. Part is $10 but it's a chore to get that huge trans out and back in.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Update:
1. I have an update about other services: My mechanic recommended Transmission service and replacement of Rear Crank Shaft seal. Per my Mechanic parts for the transmission service along about $400, the Trans fluid is very expensive he said, 9 QTS of them. He will be only charging ½ hours for labor? Does this sounds right?
My Mechanic also said it may be cost effective to replace Rear Crank Shaft seal since he is already there, labor ½ hour.

The Total cost was estimated around $2400 (TCP seal + Transmission service + Rear Crank shaft) for both parts and labor. Is this reasonable?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Did the pump seal about 40k ago. After a coolant pipe failure. No problems since. Part is $10 but it's a chore to get that huge trans out and back in.
Did you DIY this, Cole?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Cole
Drifting

I thought about it real hard. Decided to have a local shop do it.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Could you actually do it, DIY? (Not you specifically, but a regular Joe.) Engine stays, but transmission drops out? I'd consider it DIY if I thought it was tacklable. (<--Divot: is this acceptable conjugation?)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

It's probably DIY. There is at least one special tool envolved to get the bolts out of the torque converter at the flywheel. There is not open bell housing on the Cayenne to access it.

Transmission is huge!!

I've done many motor swaps, rebuilt transmissions, etc etc for decades. I studied it for a while and decided this one was worth paying for.

Fwiw, I did the coolant pipes, control arms and new BPVs myself so far on the CTT.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just pulled and re-installed the Engine/Tranny on my Audi RS6 (twin turbo V8). The Cayenne Turbo looks much easier and the tranny is about the same size, a bit bigger with the transfer case (RS6 has a center differential (more compact) instead of a transfer case). If mine goes I'll tackle it but you don't want to be in a hurry so if it is your daily driver it would probably be better to pay someone else to do the work.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Nooop, I am going to get it done by a local shop, if I were to do it my self I will need additional hands, the tranny is huge and it's not worth the effort to try for the first time.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Fwiw, I did the coolant pipes, control arms and new BPVs myself so far on the CTT.
That's kind of why I asked - I remember the pipes and control arms. You upgraded to Turbo S's, if I recall correctly...

Trying to find out where I draw the line between good learning experience, and potential disaster.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

thanks all for your comments
untill next time
chamilka
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Subesh Siva
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have porsch cayenne s 04

i have a few question about this suv
im getting main done this week in the dealer and
the problem was the torque convertor which was leaking so
i dont know which one exactly if its the seal or the pump and im
getting this job done at 2800$ and can anyone help me if there is anything if i need to change it from there so they dont need to open that all the time for a single fix..

thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM
BOOSTD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the coolant pipes on my CTT and had the seal leak 2 days later. It's a quotes 14 hour job at the dealer. I found a local indy to do mine for $1250, part and fluids included.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

As stated in my original post I got the convertor seal replaced, in addition replaced the rear crank shaft as it was recommended (not sure needed, probably not). Service was done in December 2011 by Porsche mechanic ($130 per hour).

Labor was $1962
Parts :$563
Total : $2554

Parts Cost (roughly)
T convertor seal : $20
Rear crankshaft oil seal :$24
Transmission fluid: $358
Transmission filter: $40
Transmission o ring: $10
Transmission pan gasket: $54
It will cost you around $300 less if you opt out for Rear crankshaft.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque converter pump seal (TCP) repair +