Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S Brake Proportioning Warning And Stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
scottmotorsports
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Cayenne S Brake Proportioning Warning And Stuck in park

Brake proportioning Warning, ABS light on, Brake Light Flashing. Both front and rear pads are new. It has been sitting a lot over the summer and all was fine until a few weeks ago. Only weird thing i noticed is the carpet is wet, it has been a very wet summer in the chicago area and this is the first time it has had to sit outside for any period of time. No fault codes are coming up on my reader. Tonight I went over the brakes and even did a power bleed. Any thought and help would be appreciated. No way to drive it to a dealer or shop and hate to see it dragged up on a flat bed. Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
carreragttech
Advanced

Pull up the drivers carpet! Just pull hard by the footwell area and slide out towards center. Check all wiring in channel under carpet. There are 4 sets of wires that are sonic welded and taped with black tape if green cut and re-splice wires! then fold them up to the firewall to get them higher up to keep water out in future. Find water leak, the evap. drain tends to clog or hose pops off. Also check the rocker drains and sunroof and caul drains all could be a culprit for water< Hope this helps!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 PM
scottmotorsports
8th Gear

Thank you, Just went out and pulled up the carpet and sucked up the water. Opened up the wiring channel and there is a boat load of wires running through it. All look good and clean. I'm going to leave it overnight with a fan blowing on it to help it dry. Hope this works, would like to get in into the dry garage so I can find the leak.
The following users liked this post:
Dokunmath (04-28-2022)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Asookram
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you manage to get this issue resolved by drying out the wires under the carpet?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
fast996
Instructor

bumping this thread, thanks to GTTech ! sure enough the wires he mentioned under the driver carpet were corroded! Piggie is back in motion
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
crisc204
2nd Gear

Hi another bump for this thread as it seems the only place on the web to have an explanation for three very odd faults which have appeared on a Cayenne.

I have a 2003 Cayenne showing the same warnings and stuck in park.

Sure enough the carpet was wet with a nice pond just below the seat and three of the four connections were rotten.
Two of these joins are CAN-BUS wiring

Should these wires be soldered or crimped?

I'm hearing all sorts of dread and doom about CAN wiring playing up...

also is there anything else which could cause these warnings as a group ?

The vehicle has been off the road for 8 weeks and the battery when low
(Batt charged up while disconnected)

thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 PM
fast996
Instructor

yes - the wiring that has that black fabric tape ( like you would wrap hockey sticks with ) those are the ones you can strip and rewire- that did it for me! good luck
Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 AM
crisc204
2nd Gear

Thanks to carreragttech for the pointer and fast996 for a speedy reply

This repair is listed in the POSES Porsche workshop manual...
Must be a known issue
Porsche sell a repair kit for it (you do not necessarily need this repair kit to fix the issue)

So we re-worked those wiring joints mentioned and the issues are solved!
Once I started stripping the vehicles wiring down I found a previous owner had been in there poking about already and not made a good job of it...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
2008cayennekeith
1st Gear

Default Ignition Lock Issue..Brake Proportioning error

The carpet removal and wire repair was exactly the issue for my 2008 Cayenne. One of the wires was corroded so bad i couldn't see the copper!Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 AM
troycruz
4th Gear

Guys any of you are able to save some photos on which wire I should be looking at ... I'm experiencing it intermittently, am planning to check it out this afternoon ... thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
fast996
Instructor

troycruz , sorry didnt take pics, but pull up on the carpet in driver footwell to view the wireloom. Youll notice the thinner wires spliced or soldered ends with the factory tape wrap-
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 AM
kicks21
2nd Gear

fast996, is it on the door side of the footwell or in the center console side? haven't stripped the carpet but I see wire bundle near the footbreak, is this it?

Troycruz, if you can, please send photos. thanks guy ...I'll try to fix this one when I get home.

By the way, any good links where I can find procedure to unclog the A/C drain? do I have to remove the evaporator?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
troycruz
4th Gear

This is what I got kicks, the splice repair didn't worked out for me, I checked and wires are in good shapes. I saw 4 spliced wires, all of them looked repaired.

Guys any other thoughts? By the way how can I remove the car from Park? it won't start and flatbed maybe coming to the rescue... appreciate any help
Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 PM
fast996
Instructor

you wanna do the Park override? its easy-

PS. dont trust those repairs, splice and redo them for grins
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 AM
troycruz
4th Gear

"fingers crossed" problem is solved. to wrap things up, fault on my 06 are indication showing"ABS Failure Workshop, Brake Proportioning Fail, PSM ON" it won't start, but after waiting from 5 to 15 mins indications will disappear and car is ready to start.

As advised I did the following: 1. Check the spliced wires on the bundle covered by black clothe, on the door side of driver's footwell. Wires are good and looked like repairs were previously done on it. 2. Disconnected and reconnected the battery online after a few minutes. 3. Based on advise from another forum, I replaced relay PN 955 615 027 00, located on the relay box on top of the battery (below your a$$), it can easily be seen by the distinctive "433" mark on top of it. Problem gone, hopefully it lasts! Special thanks to fast996 for all the advise!

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S Brake Proportioning Warning And Stuck in park