Sponsored by:

Windshield Stress Crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Aperture776
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Windshield Stress Crack

I have a '11 CS, woke up Saturday morning to wash the car and noticed a 2 inch stress crack on the upper right hand corner of the windshield. The crack is from the INSIDE of the car and can be felt by running your finger nail on it but not from the outside. Anyone experience anything like this? I'm assuming this is a factory defect because I have no idea how the crack got there from the INSIDE. I am very meticulous with my cars and would have noticed the crack and it was not there Friday night.

If it is covered under warranty, does anyone have the procedure diagram on what is required. I want to make sure that the glass company the dealer chooses gets it right and all the trims are replaced.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unknown to most people, the windshield on most modern cars is now considered a structural component that works together with the body to reduce flexing.

In some rare cases, a structural weld may be missing from a given area that would produce more flex and distortion than what the windshield aperture was initially designed to withstand. This may result in a cracked windshield. If this is the case, make sure that the spot welds on the flange area surrounding the glass is verified and/or repaired by the dealer prior to installing a new windshield. I also recommend the service manager opens a dossier with PCNA regarding this premature failure.

Another cause may simply be a defect in the mfg of the glass itself however, I would be surprised if this was the case given PAG's stringent QA certification with all it's suppliers.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Watch out for the tolerances, the rest is a typical windscreen change.

Removing and installing windscreen Cayenne 2011

Technical values

Basic value Tolerance 1 Tolerance 2
Windscreen to roof (W1)
Gap dimension 2.6 mm +/-0.5 mm

Windscreen to roof (W2)
Gap dimension 2.4 mm +1 mm

Preliminary work
1. Remove interior rear-view mirror.
2. On vehicles with a rain sensor: Remove the rain sensor.
3. On vehicles with a telephone: Remove antenna for telephone.
4. Remove cowl panel cover.
5. Remove A-pillar trim panel at the left and right.
6. Remove sun visors.
7. Detach headliner at the front.
8. Remove moulding for windscreen.

Removing windscreen
WARNING

Vehicle windows removed and installed incorrectly
Danger of cuts
Risk of eye injuries
→ Wear personal protective gear.
→ Always shut off power supply when replacing cutting knife.

1. Separate windscreen.
1.1. Remove windscreen with the cutting-wire separating device.

The procedure for removing car windows is described in General information on removing car windows.

Removing windscreen

Preparing window aperture for installation
1. Remove adhesive from the body.
1.1. When removing remaining adhesive -1- with the cutting tool -C- and the flashing knife -D- on the body, ensure that only a surface coating of adhesive remains -2- .
Information

The surface coating of adhesive residue helps new adhesive to stick. Keep cut surfaces clean and free of grease and do not clean with cleaning solution.

2. Clean and prime paint damage or newly built-up paint areas in the window aperture of the body.
2.1. Clean new paint areas or damage to the top coat paint in the non-visible area of the window aperture in the body with cleaning solution -H1- and touch up with primer -H2- .

Information

A drying time of at least 10 minutes must be observed between cleaning the bonding surface and applying primer! Always ensure that no cleaning solution residues remain on the body.

Preparing windscreen for installation (re-installation only)

Information

The removed windscreen can be reinstalled if there was no prior damage to the windscreen and the windscreen was removed without damage.

1. Clear away adhesive on the windscreen.

Removing adhesive residue
1.1. Fit cutter -C- with the flashing knife -D- and remove remaining adhesive from the windscreen, ensuring that a surface coating of adhesive remains.

Information

The remaining adhesive helps new adhesive to stick. Keep cut surfaces clean and free of grease and do not clean with cleaning solution.

2. Check the foam element around the chassis number for damage and replace it if necessary.
3. Activate the bonding section of the windscreen.
3.1. During long idle periods, apply activator -H3- to the remaining adhesive.

Applying activator
4. Check the seal at the top of the windscreen for damage and replace it if necessary.

Seal on windscreen
5. Stick seal to the top of the windscreen.

Preparing windscreen for installation (new windscreen)
1. Clean and prime the window.

Cleaning and priming windscreen
1.1. Clean the windscreen with cleaning solution -H1- .
1.2. Apply primer -H2- to the glass flange in the area of the marking.
Information

A ventilation period of at least 10 minutes must be observed between the cleaning of the glass and the application of primer! No cleaning solution residues may remain on the windscreen.

Installing windscreen

Information

Only with new windscreens

The removed windscreen can be reinstalled if there was no prior damage to the windscreen and the windscreen was removed without damage.

Information

Two persons are needed to insert and adjust the windscreen.

Caution

Danger of material damage if specified curing time of adhesive is not observed! In order to ensure that the bonded joint is sufficiently strong, the following boundary conditions must be adhered to:
The vehicle must not be used until the curing time has elapsed.
Curing time: 3 hours
Temperature: at least 10 °C
Fixing time: approx. 1 hour

1. Prepare 2-component bonding material for processing.

The adhesive has an open time of -15 min.- , which means that the bonding material must be applied and the component must be affixed within this period of time.
In order to ensure that the substance is completely mixed, apply a 30-mm long bead of fresh adhesive to a piece of cardboard before processing.

Information

When applying the adhesive, it is essential to ensure that the adhesive bead overlaps by approx. 30 mm at the beginning and at the end.

2. Apply adhesive to the windscreen.

Applying adhesive
2.1. Using a bonding gun -A- apply 2-component adhesive to the rear window along the precoating or on the primer in the form of a triangular bead measuring -X = approx. 15 mm- .
3. Insert the windscreen into the body.
3.1. Affix suction cups to the window.
3.2. Guide the windscreen into the window aperture.
3.3. Slide the windscreen up against the seal.
3.4. Insert the windscreen at the sides of the window aperture and lower it (do not press at the sides).
3.5. Press the bottom of the windscreen onto the body as far as the guide stop.
3.6. Adjust gap for windscreen with respect to the roof.

Only if the windscreen is re-installed

3.7. Secure the windscreen with adhesive tape -1- to prevent it from slipping.

Securing the windscreen
4. Adhesive that has oozed out must be removed immediately and the affected fields of vision must be cleaned using cleaning agent.

Removing emerging adhesive

Subsequent work
1. Secure headliner at the front.
2. Install sun visor.
3. Install cowl panel cover.
4. For vehicles with a rain sensor
5. On vehicles with a telephone: Install antenna for telephone.
6. Install interior rear-view mirror.
7. Install A-pillar trim panel at the left and right.
8. Install moulding for windscreen.
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for your problem. Just out of morbid curiousity, does your CS have the Panoramic sunroof?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Aperture776
Advanced

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Aperture776
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry for your problem. Just out of morbid curiousity, does your CS have the Panoramic sunroof?
No it does not. Yea I have never heard of this problem before. I just hope that its covered under warranty because it is definitely not caused by a rock hitting the windshield. It can only be felt from the inside. I'm worried that they won't install the windshield cleanly and properly.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Aperture776
Advanced

911SLOW according to the instructions you provided all mouldings and panels are reused? I just wanted to clarify.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Aperture776
911SLOW according to the instructions you provided all mouldings and panels are reused? I just wanted to clarify.
I am 99% sure that they are.

Here is how to remove and install them:

Removing and installing moulding for windscreen Cayenne 2011

Removing moulding for windscreen

Information
Some of the repair illustrations show only one side of the vehicle. Naturally, some steps also have to be performed on the opposite side of the vehicle as well. These must be carried out as a mirror image of the steps shown.

1. Unclip moulding -1- from top to bottom -arrow- .

Installing moulding for windscreen
1. Fit moulding -1- at the top and clip it into the attachment strip from top to bottom -arrow- .
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Aperture776
Advanced

Once again, thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Windshield Stress Crack