Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does the pig look better with or without roof rails?
With
42.01%
Without
57.99%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Does the pig look better with or without Roof Rails

Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Wow. I'm surprised to see so much more activity in rennlist compared to 6speed. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

That hitch that tilt might be my best option as long as I can get the hitch installed without breaking the bank.

Also for you guys who added the hitch after delivery of car... Do you also have to add wiring for the tow harness? Did you guys need to update the software for tow mode? Or is that only for folks with PASM?
No wiring needed for a bike rack hitch. If wiring became an issue for resale I would remove the hitch prior to selling.

Trailer lighting requirements vary buy state. In VA you can trailer most anything during daylight hours without special lighting but the taillights must remain visible to cars in the rear.

Your state/country may differ...
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-lighting/
Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. I'm surprised to see so much more activity in rennlist compared to 6speed. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

That hitch that tilt might be my best option as long as I can get the hitch installed without breaking the bank.

Also for you guys who added the hitch after delivery of car... Do you also have to add wiring for the tow harness? Did you guys need to update the software for tow mode? Or is that only for folks with PASM?
Checkout Kuat, 2-up, and Yakima for hitch racks as they'll all tilt out of the way. I've used all 3 on a fairly regular basis. The new Yakima's are pretty nice and really well made (old ones were not). 2-up's are about as secure as you'll get for a hitch rack, and because each tray is a bit more elevated, it helps retain the car's departure angle if driving off-road is something you'll do. The Kuat can be bought with a repair stand built into it, which is the main reason I got it.

The factory tow package that you're finding for 1K includes the harness and module. You have to run the harness from the hitch up through the tail light somewhere, but the module plugs in on the side of the trunk behind the carpet. The connection is already there - you just gotta mount the module and plug it in. No coding needed. If you ever plan on going to electronic shifting on a bike, getting the factory tow package is a no brainer. There are already companies making harnesses that plug into your tow package for charging the shifter group. At least on the Cayenne, this also acts as an alarm as disconnecting the harness while the car is locked sets off the alarm.

Labor to install an aftermarket hitch is basically the same labor to do the factory hitch. The only savings is in the cost of the hitch. If you google the PN, you might be able to find it cheaper. I seem to remember seeing the hitch package around $700, but could be wrong.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 AM
porkandbeans
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the sleeker look without rails. But I am thankful that mine came with the Porsche roof rack system that goes directly into the roof channels. So, crossbars when I rarely need them and slick top the rest of the time.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Both mine have them and I have taken them off only to put them back on. I only like the looks with. looks less sporty without IMO.
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I agree Anthony. I like the way they look with the rails.

When viewing from the front or back, I like how the rails create a rise on both sides, and visual roof dip in the center. It sorta accentuates the hip bulge in the body.

Today's pic posted #1294
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13251204

=Steve
Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 PM
JuannaKnowtrooth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I prefer a dressed look...

To me the roof rails finish it. My wife agrees...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Qu4ttro
Track Day

So why is the cayenne called the pig?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Because it is a fat and overweight vehicle.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It is actually P!G - the "!" is the warning light that ran perpetually on the '03-04 models.

And at one time I think it was Greenpeace - or one of the other "Green" organizations - awarded the Cayenne it's PIG award for being an excessive vehicle that used copious quantities of gasoline. They went to the extent of painting one pink, and adding a pig-face to the front end. There are photos of that floating around the web.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/01/g...-is-a-big-pig/
Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger

It is actually P!G - the "!" is the warning light that ran perpetually on the '03-04 models.

And at one time I think it was Greenpeace - or one of the other "Green" organizations - awarded the Cayenne it's PIG award for being an excessive vehicle that used copious quantities of gasoline. They went to the extent of painting one pink, and adding a pig-face to the front end. There are photos of that floating around the web.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/01/g...-is-a-big-pig/
The picture above as I recall is from an event and the people dressed their cars up this was during the whole Sally carrera thing from the movie. The theme of the cayenne was when pigs can fly. The TT being so fast for an SUV at the time they played on it. If you look closely at the picture it is a Porsche sponsored event. It has nothing to do with greenpeace. I love how the internet spins everything.

When the Cayenne was first introduced only a handful of Porsche enthusiasts like myself liked the SUV and the majority hated the entire concept calling it a bloated pig due to its 5500 pound weight.

I recall Larry LTC coining the phrase since he disliked them so much and was in dispute with Porsche for one reason or another he took every opportunity to bash them and felt everyone was drinking the kool aid. My 04TT has been running strong since day one and never once have I seen the infomous "!" discussed.

Ironic how loved these have now become and many appreciate the vehicle for its merits. In fact if it wasn't for the cayenne I doubt Porsche would be around today. I liked my TT so much I went back for a GTS. Still IMO a far better vehicle than the Macan. Although the Macan is not bad I instructed someone in a Macan turbo at our local Car control clinic the other day and it was really quite capable.

PS this picture dates back to 2005 IIRC long before Porsche even began discussing hybrids as denoted in the article. Journalists like that should not be employed.

Originally Posted by ltc
Doesn't matter how much they airbrush the pics, what fancy artful angles they take the pictures.. Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. This has to be the ugliest car around.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 Summits
With
Just bought roof rails because of this GTS - looks great in white.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:55 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default W/O

Without......why look like every other ungainly SUV out there with roof rails?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Qu4ttro
Track Day

Very cool history lesson. I always wondered why but finally got to ask. Honestly I feel like my 958 is the most spirited and fun SUVs on the road so I was confused why people kept calling it a PIG. The cayenne is does seem to hide its weight quite well.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:30 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I like it... I need it.... so I add more.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:40 PM
aranavi
2nd Gear

Default With....it's an SUV!

IMHO, the roof rack finishes off the SUV and gives it true utility. I've always owned SUV's and actually use these rails, so I will be adding to my newly purchased 958, soon. I understand the desire to go without for a streamline look, especially if they will never get used.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the pig look better with or without Roof Rails