Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0492: Secondary Air Pump Bank 2 Fault

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0492: Secondary Air Pump Bank 2 Fault

Anyone ever receive this CEL? I have done a search but it doesnt look like anyone has changed it before?

Perhaps it is the wrong code? I am having problem with a rough idle at times still but never received a CEL for it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

air suspension is torn?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

That is an emissions issue. Bank 2 is the right hand side of the engine.

Secondary air pump is used to add oxygen to the mixture and reduce emissions during cold temp operation.

I have no idea where the pump is located.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Brit6
Racer

The pumps are located at the top of this pic right attached the the firewall, you can see there is on on the left side and one on the right.

I have just never seen one of these fail before on a Cayenne, so it seems a little strange.

Originally Posted by Scott C
That is an emissions issue. Bank 2 is the right hand side of the engine.

Secondary air pump is used to add oxygen to the mixture and reduce emissions during cold temp operation.

I have no idea where the pump is located.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've heard of one failing before but it sounds rare. Try hot wiring the pump and see if it kicks on, if it doesn't then that is and easy one, if it does then there is another issue with one of the hoses or the check valve or......At least it is just an emmissions related thing and shouldn't be anything that would hurt the engine.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got this one. Dealer replaced the pump but it came back a couple days later.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

During my rough change transmission issue, I had "Secondary Air Pump Bank 2 Fault" replaced and cured it for a couple of days only for the transmission problem to return in conjunction with a leaky plastic pipe and a faulty EGR valve, both replaced and no more problem.

Never had the rough idle though!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

May help, might not. On my '97 BMW M3 I was getting SAI errors and after clearing the fault codes it would not set the "Readiness Indicator" for the SAI system. The pump had been squealing badly before the errors so I replaced it and the recommended check valve. Still had the error. Replaced vacuum hoses, still had error. After thinking about it a bit I replaced the input side O2 Sensors (the ones before the cat) and the Readiness Flags set and no further errors with the SAI.

The SAI works in conjunction with the O2 sensors. How many miles on the car?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was done under warranty a long tme ago, it only happened once
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

This is an issue that a friend of mine recently discovered. He has an 04S and it appears that the filter material that was used in the pump deteriorates and then flows into the pump fan blades cracking off the blades and then no longer pushes air. In addition, the material then continues down stream to the diverter valve and clogs that up. Porsche has redisigned the filter material to avoid this problem. You need to pull off the pump and take it apart to see if the fan blades are broken and if so, replace the pump. He was able to make a new filter out of lawnmower filter material to replace the one in the other pump to avoid this issue in the future. Getting access to the valve is a pain as it is in the back of the engine near the firewall. He is going to post the proceedure on Renntech as it appears that age is now catching up with the lifespan of the filter material
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Brit6
Racer

Please do! I still have this problem and it is annoying, i have to clear my code almost every other day sometimes it will last longer.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
whistle34
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, i had this problem, and it was the wiring harness...apparently it is a little to short... it cost me $350 to get fixed, but not at dealer
Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 PM
legendrx7
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
This is an issue that a friend of mine recently discovered. He has an 04S and it appears that the filter material that was used in the pump deteriorates and then flows into the pump fan blades cracking off the blades and then no longer pushes air. In addition, the material then continues down stream to the diverter valve and clogs that up. Porsche has redisigned the filter material to avoid this problem. You need to pull off the pump and take it apart to see if the fan blades are broken and if so, replace the pump. He was able to make a new filter out of lawnmower filter material to replace the one in the other pump to avoid this issue in the future. Getting access to the valve is a pain as it is in the back of the engine near the firewall. He is going to post the proceedure on Renntech as it appears that age is now catching up with the lifespan of the filter material
I'm just posting this for anyone else that may encounter this issue...

I had the same problem with my CTT. got the same code and ended up removing the air pump on the drivers side to find that most of the impeller blades were gone. I like to avoid the PTAX whenever possible so after a little research I found that 2000-2002 V8 Camaros use the exact same pump with a different cover and wiring harness on it. I have several friends with Camaros and one of them was kind enough to donate the pump to me for no charge. I was easily able to swap the cover and wire harness to the Camaro pump and installed it with no problems. However, I soon found out that the broken blades did indeed make their way down to the emissions valve and I found this out because when I had the airpump disconnected again and the hose just left open, it sounded like I had an exhaust leak.. So, the blade pieces made it to the valve and have damaged the diaphram allowing exhaust gases to pass through.

The valve is part number 14 on the emissions diagram and cost about $100. I have yet to replace because I am debating on just removing the airpumps altogether because I don't have to deal with emissions testing in my state.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Brit6
Racer

So bank 2 is drivers side pump? I have 105,000 miles on mine and this is still coming on almost every other day. I will take the pump out and inspect.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Elie
AutoX

This problem appeared on my Carrera 2002, i turned it off and didn't appear after that...i checked for potential visual problems but nothing appeared. Can it be just a sensor issue or something small because i don't hear anything wrong with the sound of the engine...
Lets say the CEL light doesn't come back on, is it safe to drive it or i risk more damage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0492: Secondary Air Pump Bank 2 Fault