Sponsored by:

PCM 2.0 to PCM 2.1 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 2.0 to PCM 2.1 Upgrade

Is it possible, and how hard, to put a PCM2.1 in place of PCM2.0 in an 04 Cayenne?

I have searched and searched with no luck. It seems that the DVD based system is much better than the CD based navi system.

From what I can tell, the two systems are pretty close and it should be possible.

TIA
-Dana
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I think the DVD based system used in PCM 2.1 requires the installation of a DVD unit beneath the passenger's seat. I don't think it's as simple as changing the head unit.

You might consider having an aftermarket unit installed that would give you Sirius/XM, iPod, bluetooth, modern nav, etc. I had that done in my 996 at a shop in the Denver area and they did a great job. It would probably be much cheaper than trying to upgrade to PCM 2.1. PM me if you want more details.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You definitely have to change the CD unit to the DVD unit installed beneath the passenger seat plus the head unit but I would search some more here and on Renntech.com for more info to see if the wiring harness is different or if they both become plug & play.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 AM
bbcoach51
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the change in my 04 CTT. It does require installing a DVD below the passenger's seat. (DVD unit not cheap or the PCM 2.1. I found both on ebay. The most difficult part was getting power to the DVD from the Head unit. I couldn't find the harness on any of the electrical schematics. I even took the DVD unit to the dealer to have them look up the part but no luck. I ended up getting it from a stereo shop here in So Cal. I believe it is the one used for hooking up a satellite module. I ended up putting it in the MOST loop in place of the CD changer. (I don't use the changer now) It's probably not worth the cost of the upgrade but I like the look of the OEM Head unit and the DVD Nav is much better. PM me if you have other questions.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM
gordan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like I'm a few years late to this thread.

Does anyone have a list of part numbers for the extra cables / wiring looms required for this retrofit? I bought a PCM 2.1 and the DVD drive off breakers, but I'm struggling to find any info on the wiring looms required to connect them, and details of what else has to be changed to make everything work.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Sunset in florida used to sell kits (in fact they seem to put together lots of kits), they are pretty friendly. They are a dealer and have an internet parts department.

I think if they are willing to help you, you should at least purchase the parts from them (and they are reasonably priced)

Since you say breakers I am guessing you are not in North America, so not sure what costs are from here to you.

Quick Reply: PCM 2.0 to PCM 2.1 Upgrade