Sponsored by:

All Terrian (A/T) for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Terrian (A/T) for Cayenne

Well, I pulled the trigger and a CPO CT followed me home and made the Grand Cherokee find a new garage to live in.

I got a good deal on the CT (or at least I am happy) but the only thing I couldn't get thrown into the deal was new tires. The CT has Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on it as it was used to drive to Vail (the previous owner has "Casa Vail" programmed into the Navi System).

I don't want to run Winter tires in the summer.

My thoughts are to run of the two following tires:

General Grabber AT2 in 255/55R/18 (about $800 for tires)

or

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 in 255/55/18 (about $800)

or

Yokohama Geolander AT/S in 265/60/18 (about $600 for tires).

or

I found a set of Sport Technos (I like these wheels) with tires (75% tread) for $1250/obo.

I ran the Geolanders on my Grand Cherokee and they were a good tires for all around driving. I must be honest that the CT is taking place of the Grand. This means I use it for day to day driving. It does the 24 Hours of Shopping Mall. Valet Parks at Ronalds Chopped Steak on Bun House. You know the normal driving. Since an Autobahn has a small pond between the Cayenne and an Autobahn, I doubt the Ct will go over 130mph. But, I can say that that the CT will be used for car camping. This means not hard core 4WD trails, but it will go off-road at times. It will also be driven in the snow.

I love the looks of the Sport Techno wheels, but the 40 series (275/40/20) may have as soft of sidewalls as the ones on my 951. I am not sure I want to live with that day to day especially since the roads are in such nice shape.

All of the all terrian tires above are H speed rated (130mph). I have used the Yokohamas on my jeep and they were decent tires. The General Grabbers look similar to BFG A/T and BFG have worked really well for me. The issue i have with Yokos are wider (265 vs 255) and taller (60 vs 55). It makes for a better A/T tires but gievs up some handling but the real scare i have is they are larger diameter which may screw up speedo/PSM.

Has anyone actually run A/T tires on a Cayenne? Any reason other than speed rating and not able to run an Autocross/DE even on them? I mean, I must be honest, this a commuter car for myself. Its really not a race car. I am think of the A/T tires since then I can take the family camping, drive around town, drive in snow, etc.

Any opinions?

TIA
-Dana
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM
AutoManifesto
3rd Gear

Hi Guys,

New to the group but have been lurking for quite some time. After all the reviews I just got some tires for my '04 Cayenne S steel spring. Though BFs look to the best my limited dirt/off road time didn't warrant going that route. After researching countless better priced options I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. They offer a fantastic warranty and everything I wanted in looks and reliability. I went with 265 65 18 and have 0% rub. I've had them on for about 200 miles and love them. Only change is on the speedo vs GPS it shows 70 when going 75 due to tire size difference but that's all. Love the aggressive look and handling of the Nittos, would definitely recommend.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Had you described this Cayenne to me I would have said it couldn't look good, but seeing is believing: this murdered-out beastie is a thing of beauty. Personally, I'd replace the rear badging with black also, but to each his own, and you obviously know how to pull off look.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:55 PM
AutoManifesto
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MountainStone
Had you described this Cayenne to me I would have said it couldn't look good, but seeing is believing: this murdered-out beastie is a thing of beauty. Personally, I'd replace the rear badging with black also, but to each his own, and you obviously know how to pull off look.
Thanks for the kind words mate! Rear badging is matte black, I think the lighting makes it look contrasted though. It's the daily porker so less is more for me (and by less I mean just one color).

For those wondering wheels are plastidipped and have been for about 4 or so years as well as the pillars and trim. Reversibility to stock was the main factor when considering this change.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

First if you are going off-road highly recommend getting the smallest wheels possible, we run 18s. You will want the most rubber possible for airing down on the trail. Airing down is for traction, comfort, and to resist puncture.
We have been running General Grabber AT2s for almost 5 years now. They have been a good all-season paved road and off-road tire. We are considering the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 255/55-18 when it comes time to replace.
Note that we Overland vs rock climbing & mud holing. We also do rally events where the General Grabber's have also worked well for us.
For extreme winter driving, north of the Arctic Circle, we use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8s. Sensational for snow and ice. For the lower 48 winters, General Grabber AT2s work fine for us.
To see what we do there are articles, pictures, and video at the link:
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 PM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I did went with BFG KO2's in stock tire size and pretty much happy with it. It's more for overlanding and not rock crawling.
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 255/60-19s, "Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar" because I didn't want to buy wheels too. So far they seem to be very well rounded. They don't roll over unless you press really hard and they worked great off road. I expect they will work well in the winter too, we don't have much ice but lots of deep snow!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: All Terrian (A/T) for Cayenne