Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start after fuel up

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Kim Lurie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 does the same. HOwever, today started up after fueling no problem. But then at the light..suddenly died. Great tips...going to give it a try. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:59 PM
David Peterson
3rd Gear

Default 2008 Cayenne Turbo- I changed both pumps and fuel filter. still problems.

2008 Cayenne Turbo- I changed both pumps and fuel filter. I started it up and it ran great then drove around all evening. Later in the evening I noticed it was cranking a bit when starting, a bit alarming! So I decided to put 10 gal gas in, ran fine but still cranked for a bit. The next morning I decide to fill the tank all the way and immediately it had a hard time starting then, when it started it ran for about 10 seconds then dies. Later I pulled fuse #13 out and car runs fine so obviously 1 pump is flooding out. So frustrated please if any one knows what to do next please help. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SOund like you have lost vacuum on the fuel line. There is a check valve that fails on 955, not certain that that 957 has the same, I did not suffer it on my 08 TT but I did on the 04S

It was an easy DIY fix and the part was cheap.

Anyone else have anything ?

Mike
Old 08-03-2016, 03:17 AM
David Peterson
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply! in the 08 Porsche parts is saying that it changed in the redesign and the closest thing would be- Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
Part Number: 94811002054
is that essentially the same thing?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM
porches
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Peterson
2008 Cayenne Turbo- I changed both pumps and fuel filter. I started it up and it ran great then drove around all evening. Later in the evening I noticed it was cranking a bit when starting, a bit alarming! So I decided to put 10 gal gas in, ran fine but still cranked for a bit. The next morning I decide to fill the tank all the way and immediately it had a hard time starting then, when it started it ran for about 10 seconds then dies. Later I pulled fuse #13 out and car runs fine so obviously 1 pump is flooding out. So frustrated please if any one knows what to do next please help. Thanks!

Pulling the fuse isn't the right way to test it. You have to jump the relay to actuate the pump. Low pressure pumps on non DFI Cayennes usually never throw any check engine lights. We test them at the dealer with a pressure gauge hooked up to the passenger side pump's outlet and by jumping the relays to see what each pump is doing. I just quoted a pair on 08 GTS because the car would die once his tank reached half.

But as far as you guys having issues starting after fuel up, I'd definitely go after your tank vent valve. Holding the throttle down while cranking cuts fuel to the engine, the tank vent valve being stuck open provides the fuel vapor to allow the engine to start.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:01 PM
David Peterson
3rd Gear

Any idea what part number that will be for the tank vent valve?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:01 PM
rusputtin
4th Gear

Guys... my 05 Cayenne is having same issue. I first thought i waited too long to fuel up the tank, but even when I fill up the tank when it is half empty, i have been having the same start up problem. I read somewhere here it is to do with "Gas Tank Valve" and I called a Porsche dealership to verify and they provided a parts # "955 605 517 01" (Tank Ventilation Valve) ...

Can someone please confirm this? Specially those who actually got it replaced and got it working now? ... I have dealership asking about $370 and a non dealership but works on plenty of BMW and Benz for about $265. Can someone please verify the cost and the issue? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Something else to consider... the car won't start without depressing the brake pedal. Since you now have to depress the accelerator AND gas pedal to get the car started, it's possible the problem is a bad ground or rubbed-through wire in the brake pedal starting interlock circuit and for some reason, depressing the gas pedal either moves something or otherwise gets around the requirement for the brake pedal being depressed. Experiment: Next time you fuel up, when you start the vehicle, depress the gas pedal ONLY and see if the engine starts... don't depress the brake pedal. If the car starts, your problem may well be in the brake pedal start-interlock circuit and depressing the gas pedal all the way is a secondary means of getting the vehicle started if the brake pedal interlock stops working right.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Part is about $98 on eBay shipped. It's a 30min DIY job. No codes to reset. Simply remove "4.5L V8" center engine cover and GINGERLY disconnect the evap purge valve part# 948.110.202.01. The "tricky" part is not destroying the thin tube end that goes towards the back of the engine.

Nothing WORSE than having a Porsche not start after fueling...
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 AM
rusputtin
4th Gear

Ok... this forum got some super slick mechanics i assume. I called up a repair place and told them i need this replaced and here is the parts number.... prior to that i called my service guy at the Porsche dealership to verify the parts# and walah! Changed the GAS TANK VALVE and the orange engine light symbol is gone immediately ... my baby starts after fueling like a charm and I'm a happy driver!!!

Parts + Labor + Waiting = $270.

Some of you have the V8, so parts number vary from V6... keep that in mind.
Thanks a bunch to all the people that replied to all the posts with genuine infos.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

Confirmed part 955-605-517-00-M14 (from Pelican) fixed my issue with not starting after a fill up.

I was replacing several other parts back there see pic (like coolant hose and venturi line - brittle from heat cycles/age) so it was a bit easier than if I was just doing this.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

So which part in the image fixed the problem? Is the part number you listed for all of those items as a single part number or was it referring to just one of the items in the photo? And what is the name/function of the part that fixed your problem?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry ... the Top Center is the Purge Valve for Fuel Vapor Canister. It would be #9 in this photo....
Old 07-17-2017, 05:17 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Holy crap! A fault in the vapor canister purge valve can keep a car from starting???? Seems like that system could easily be designed to NOT disable the vehicle if there's a problem!

I have to wonder if I'd ever have become a car nut if engines and cars in general were this complex when I was growing up.

Quick Reply: Car wont start after fuel up