Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its such a pain in the *** to get unplugged.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After two sets of OEM horns i decided to get the $9.99 set from Harborfreight.com
Took the front bumper cover off to make sure when i cut the ultra short factory leads i had a good connection.
Cut the wires, made some longer leads so next time it will be that much easier.
Anyway the pictures tell a better story.
Attached Images    
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
bick51
AutoX

Just finished installing air horns on my 2016 Cayenne. Did not want to break into the factory wiring, so I made a pigtail from a salvage yard donor horn and wiring connector, with a tap off the 12+ volt wire.
For those interested, the wiring connector to the stock horn is a standard VW/Audi/Porsche part 4D0971992, available on the internet. What I could not find was the receiving 'male' plug on the horn, hence the use of a donor horn from an Audi A4.

The wiring diagram with the air horns wanted me to tap into the ground wire of the horns (brown), which assumes that the horn ring completes the ground circuit like a 1950's 365.
Not wanting to screw with the CANBUS wiring of the Cayenne, I opted to tap off the 12+ volt wire to the horn, using the driver's side horn. The tap is the yellow wire above on the new pigtail. All the connections were potted in epoxy.
I also opted to run a separate ground wire for the air horn compressor back up to the factory ground by the firewall. The new 'harness' was then wired as follows:

The tie-in points for power and ground are up under the driver's side plastic along the fender. For a 30 amp fuse and nice grommets, I sacrificed the end of a 'Battery Tender' lead, available for peanuts. The wiring was then enclosed in a black split wire loom, just like factory.
This can be had at Lowes (of all places) with 10' of 3/8" for under $3.
The compressor and trumpets were then mounted on a common piece of galvanized steel, and bolted down to the same bolt used for the driver's side horn. The final installation is shown here.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Bick - I"ll be borrowing your posting for a new DIY in the DIY forum. Thanks for the clear photos and explanation of what you did, plus a wiring diagram. One comment on air horns - the shorter the tubing from the compressor to the horns the more "instant" they are. With the length of tubing you have you may notice a slight delay (fractions of a second - but noticeable). Shorter tubing helps.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 PM
bick51
AutoX

Hey Don! Glad you liked it. Good call on the length of the tube for the horns. I've installed FIAMMs on most everything since getting run off the road in 1986 by someone be-bopping to music.
I actually like a slight delay between the electric horns and the air horns. This allows me to 'tap' the horn quickly and get a simple stock beep, saving the real blast for those that deserve it.
If you or anyone else finds the 'male' end of the VW/Porsche/Audi connector part 4D0971992, please let me and others know. That would eliminate the need for a donor salvage yard horn for the wiring pigtail.

Bick51, Aiken SC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have the horn DIY?