Sponsored by:

Poor Mans Bypass Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Poor Mans Bypass Pipes

So I was bored today, stopped by one of my favorite exhaust shops about the wife's car and ended up spending money instead.

So I figure all the existing muffler pipe isn't mandrel bent or stainless steel. So why bother with 900 dollar pipes just for that section.

Made them so they can bolt off and stainless steel, which cost me an extra 50 bux, but had to butcher the existing 2nd set of cats a little (can be fixed with welding) I used the existing flange and hanger locations and part of the pipe, just cut out the old ones to make it easy.

In the past there have been times I wanted bolt outs

$299 plus tax and 1 hour later, I am sure they don't flow as good at the 900 dollar set but it is good enough for me! Little more throaty, have not had a chance to go on the highway and check the butt dyno, but I don't expect much.

Thoughts? You can't see in the pics, but the clamp is still there to detach the stock muffler.
Attached Images   

Last edited by touareg; 11-03-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

looks ok, sort of like my "gundo hack" on 997...

one thing that bothers me on the cayenne is the only "hack" to be done is to remove the cat's... which doesnt sit right with me (Porsche has noted it numerous times over the year that past the cats=ok, messing with the cat's or anything before=not ok.)

im curious if anyone has attempted a "gundo hack" on the Cayenne, i know the inlet pipes for the rear muffler are in the middle and outlets on the side... but a pip between them would not invalidate warranty and also add a nice throatyness on the exhaust i would feel (acts like PSE on my 911's... high pressure (full throttle) it half bypasses the muffler and sounds sexy... low pressure (half or less throttle) it goes thru the muffler mostly and sounds better but not loud.

like this:

-riley
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rijowysock
looks ok, sort of like my "gundo hack" on 997...

one thing that bothers me on the cayenne is the only "hack" to be done is to remove the cat's... which doesnt sit right with me (Porsche has noted it numerous times over the year that past the cats=ok, messing with the cat's or anything before=not ok.)

im curious if anyone has attempted a "gundo hack" on the Cayenne, i know the inlet pipes for the rear muffler are in the middle and outlets on the side... but a pip between them would not invalidate warranty and also add a nice throatyness on the exhaust i would feel (acts like PSE on my 911's... high pressure (full throttle) it half bypasses the muffler and sounds sexy... low pressure (half or less throttle) it goes thru the muffler mostly and sounds better but not loud.

like this:

-riley
Seen that on ebay, cant remember how much they wanted, but you had to send in your "core".
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by touareg
Seen that on ebay, cant remember how much they wanted, but you had to send in your "core".
i have a shop local that did both my 997's with the hack, was curious if anyone has done it on cayenne and if sounds any good or like crap.. i really didnt want to affect my warranty with the cat delete on an 11'.... on the carrera just the hack made it sound amazing.

i just noticed the tips bolt on the center muffler, so this would make the tips permanent... Hmmmmm....
Old 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i have a shop local that did both my 997's with the hack, was curious if anyone has done it on cayenne and if sounds any good or like crap.. i really didnt want to affect my warranty with the cat delete on an 11'.... on the carrera just the hack made it sound amazing.

i just noticed the tips bolt on the center muffler, so this would make the tips permanent... Hmmmmm....
Doesn't answer your question, but this is it, looks like the tips are left alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350170285942

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item5187c68776
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

The hack is how my 04 Turbo is. I can get a video later today. I'll try to upload it tonight after parent-teacher conferences. It is throaty!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anybody looked into the H pipe design. I know they do it on some cars, not sure why or if it would benefit a Cayenne.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most of the sound control is done at the second cat, the insides of the actual muffler is basically empty, you can run a golf ball thru it
Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by touareg
Doesn't answer your question, but this is it, looks like the tips are left alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350170285942

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item5187c68776
oh ok.. that looks easy... im excited now.. i love how the hack sounds on my carrera.. :-D

the Cat "Hack" sounds great, ive heard it before but im just worried about warranty, hence my hack desire... sorry to hijack your thread at all. i apologize.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mudman2
I think most of the sound control is done at the second cat, the insides of the actual muffler is basically empty, you can run a golf ball thru it
just noticed dual Cat's... seems excessive..

your mention about rear muffler has me curious, i wonder if anyone has done it and sound results (above gentleman mentions a hack, unsure if he means the Cat "hack" or the muffler "hack" however
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One hack is to take out the contents of the secondary cat, I know someone who went straight pipes from the primary cats back with only 1 Audi glass pack per side
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not much light here after work these days. Did this in a hurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwHtEYFhDw
The following users liked this post:
awahl63 (09-10-2021)
Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it isn't as loud as what my computer is making it out to be (...like NASCAR loud) then I'm sure it sounds great! Love that you can hear the Turbo's as well. Definitely in my near future.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is more like a motorsport package like sound. It is not for the meek who want to remain stealth, but it is not crazy loud like fabspeeds on a 993.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John H
Not much light here after work these days. Did this in a hurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwHtEYFhDw
wife looks upset, lol.

this is cat removal or muffler hack?

Quick Reply: Poor Mans Bypass Pipes