PCM Display Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Display Issue

I am trying to get some feedback on possible sources of a problem on my wife's Cayenne ('05). The PCM display has deteriorated to the point of unusable. Some time ago it would "lose sync" and go from being nice clear color(when using nav) to a blurry black and white. I say lose sync because it seemed to me it looked like some sync signal wasn't making it to the display ala the way Macrovision tried to copy protect VCR tapes way back when. A light tap on the display and it would spring back to clear color so it seemed like possibly a loose wire. The light tap turned into a more forceful push over time to where it is now which is unusable. It isn't even a blurry black and white, it's just noise.

I don't know what the system looks like behind the dash but guess there's a main nav/stereo unit, a cable and a display. Is this about right? If so is the cable replaceable (i.e. not hardwired into either end)? If it's a display issue what does that unit run? I'm not really interested in what the main PCM unit will cost to replace if that's it. I know it will be ugly.

Anyone else out there seen this kind of problem with the display? Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

My wife's Cayenne has this exact problem. Started about 6 months ago and has gotten worse. It is still useable but the screen is blurry black and white most of the time. Seems to be purely a screen issue as the functions, Navigationi, etc. all seem to work fine.

Very disappointing as a replacement unit is something like 3K.

I haven't looked into getting it fixed.

I would be interested in an aftermarket unit. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a Becker unit - and I think that it is, why not contact these folks to see if they can repair it:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link to Becker Autosound. I called them up and they think its a problem they know how to fix. Just dropped the PCM unit in the mail and I'll wait to see what it ends up costing. I'll update the thread once its back and working....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A guy in eastern europe replaced his display, its documented somewhere
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ephraim
Thanks for the link to Becker Autosound. I called them up and they think its a problem they know how to fix. Just dropped the PCM unit in the mail and I'll wait to see what it ends up costing. I'll update the thread once its back and working....
Wow, I would never have thought a US manufacturer would be accessible and able to repair. I am encouraged. I look forward to your follow up post!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They will likely open the PCM, replace the faulty FPC connector to the front panel LCD and return it to you.
Known issue.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue on my 06...fixed under warranty...not sure if they just got a new screen or a whole head unit.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's the update:

Just got the unit back and it is fixed. The display itself had to be replaced as it had water in it apparently. Cost was about $380. This is on the high end of their expected repair cost due to the display itself being toast. They did call before doing anything to get a go ahead.

I am very happy with the results, price and speed of service. The whole experience went great. Thanks for the reference to Becker Autosound.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
wirunner
Pro

Here's the update:

Just got the unit back and it is fixed. The display itself had to be replaced as it had water in it apparently. Cost was about $380. This is on the high end of their expected repair cost due to the display itself being toast. They did call before doing anything to get a go ahead.

I am very happy with the results, price and speed of service. The whole experience went great. Thanks for the reference to Becker Autosound.
I had the ole Beta's CDR23 fixed by Becker once too and they were great, quick and easy to work with (also just mailed the unit to them since Beta was nekkid). I even experienced a different problem a week after getting the unit back from them and they fix that too for free.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Here's the update:

Ephraim, how did you get that thing out of there? I looked at Becker's online removal instructions and there was not enough detail there to make much sense.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 AM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by JW911
Ephraim, how did you get that thing out of there? I looked at Becker's online removal instructions and there was not enough detail there to make much sense.
Removing head units is extremely simple - four screws. Search the forum for more info but pretty self explanatory.
The following users liked this post:
robertoflay (08-22-2019)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Shikku
AutoX

Here's the update:

Sorry if I am a little slow...is this an issue with the stereo (head unit) or the digital display in the middle of the instrument cluster?

I have been searching posts, because my digital display in the instrument cluster started blinking and then went out, but everything works fine on the stereo.

Did you send the instrument cluster or the stereo (PCM?)

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
You first have to take out that plastic piece (can someone help with an official name for it? ) that goes all around. I think I used one of my house keys to just hook it under in order to start un-snapping it. Then there are two screws on top/bottom and you just pull it out. I replaced it myself few weeks ago, so when I'm telling you it's THAT easy, you have to trust me - even a woman can do it
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Shikku
AutoX

Originally Posted by Shikku
Sorry if I am a little slow...is this an issue with the stereo (head unit) or the digital display in the middle of the instrument cluster?

I have been searching posts, because my digital display in the instrument cluster started blinking and then went out, but everything works fine on the stereo.

Did you send the instrument cluster or the stereo (PCM?)

Thanks,
Aaron
Sorry to quote my own post, but curious to see if the problem with the digital display in the center of the instrument cluster going blank is resolved by fixing something on the Stereo or the instrument cluster.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Quick Reply: PCM Display Issue