Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
This is what I did to fix my problem with loose connections. I converted the system from a cartridge to a harness like the 957s. Best part is this is reversible if you want to go back (have to spend a little dollars though)

Here is what you need.

1. a permanent marker.
2. A Dremel tool or something to shave plastic with (Sharp Box Cutter).
3. $35 plus shipping if you screw up.
4. Patience.
5. You can't blame me if you screw up your car.

So look in your manual and remove a headlight, with that bugger out of the way you will see it acts like a Nintendo cart you used to blow on (admit it, you know you did it). Except blowing doesn't work.

Set the light aside, you are done with it for now.

If you look you will see a white connector that the headlight mates to. You should be able to easily slide that out. Take the sharpie and write TOP on top of it. Bottom too if you think you need the extra help.

The other end of the cable connects to the actual wiring loom, depending on the side of the car, the whole plug will slide out to the left or right and you can wiggle the cable out from behind to get some slack. It is a black connector.

This part is up to you, either remove the cable from the black connector, or leave it in the car and make a mess.

Now is the part with the dremmel or knife, and the 20ft extension cord since you left it in the car.

You want to shave the WHITE connector's outside clips down to a rectangle so that it will clear its original mount for the headlight bracket. I.E. you do not want it to be mounted in place, you want it to easily slide in and out of the original mounting hole. (No comments please). You want the plug to still fit snug in the headlight itself. I then also put a zip tie to bundle the wires a little better.

Once this is done, plug the black connector back in to the small pigtail harness, but don't mount it back to the headlight bracket. Leave it loose, maybe zip tie if you see how it all goes together.

Now you should have enough slack to plug your dremmeled white end into the headlight and slide it back into the car and lock into place.

I have had this like this for almost 2 months and no more check dipped beam errors or flickering.

If you don't like it you can always go back to stock, just buy a new harness from suncoast. Part number 955 631 239 00, number 19 on the pic. 16 is what the headlight slides into, 18 is the loose bolt x4 people are talking about I believe.
I tried the toothpick method, but my problem was that the black support that the harness slides into was flexing backwards when I'd push the headlight in. I kept getting the turn signal out message, and also my headlight would slowly lower itself to the lowest setting. On occasion, it would flicker a bit, but not enough to trigger a message. So, I took the white harness out of its slot, and just slid it into the headlight to test it. Boom. No more lowering of the HID, and the turn signal worked. Instead of cutting off the white things on the harness, I just took an exacto knife and cut off the thin plastic strip on each side of the holder to allow the harness to slide backwards into it's spot. If you leave the back part of the holder in, then it guarantees the harness won't slide out. I did this to both sides in about 10 minutes. The plastic cuts pretty easily. I wanted to leave the white pieces on the harness so I'd have something to pull on to get the harness out.

Just figured I'd update this thread since there is a lot of good ideas in it.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
sjj31
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
I tried the toothpick method, but my problem was that the black support that the harness slides into was flexing backwards when I'd push the headlight in. I kept getting the turn signal out message, and also my headlight would slowly lower itself to the lowest setting. On occasion, it would flicker a bit, but not enough to trigger a message. So, I took the white harness out of its slot, and just slid it into the headlight to test it. Boom. No more lowering of the HID, and the turn signal worked. Instead of cutting off the white things on the harness, I just took an exacto knife and cut off the thin plastic strip on each side of the holder to allow the harness to slide backwards into it's spot. If you leave the back part of the holder in, then it guarantees the harness won't slide out. I did this to both sides in about 10 minutes. The plastic cuts pretty easily. I wanted to leave the white pieces on the harness so I'd have something to pull on to get the harness out.

Just figured I'd update this thread since there is a lot of good ideas in it.
Do you have any pics you can post?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM
7Cavity
1st Gear

Hi.
I noticed that the contact didn't go all way in.
Lubed the orange seal with little bit of soap and water, and now it works without error codes.

Cayenne 2004
911 SC 1980
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Btsoom1
Track Day

I've been having the intermittent checked dipped beam error, flickering, and having the headlights go out periodically for a few weeks now. I noticed one of the alignment fins on the bottom of the headlight housing was broken off and it was allowing the headlight to move just enough from side to side to cause a connection problem with the wiring harness. I did the quickest fix suggested here by bending the metal tabs inside the wiring harness attached to the headlight assembly slightly upwards in hopes they would make a better and tighter connection. So far the fix has worked so thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 AM
brooklynkid
Instructor

great post!

completed as per instructions by toureg, but added a step.
I noticed that plug into headlight was still loose even when pushed fully in.

I wrapped the plug with plumbers tape a few times and then inserted into headlight unit. very stable and now it takes some effort to take out of headlight
unit.

no more dimmed beam!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer replaced the driver side xenon bulb and so far (2 days) there has been no errors. FWIW, They swapped the bulb and the passenger side started to flicker and produce error.

I hope this was it

Regards,
Sam
Old 11-28-2014, 02:09 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok I believe I had the same problem however I moved the passenger headlight over to my 04 from my 05 and the same problem exists so it's not the harness in the car.
I make a turn and I get the checked beam and then the headlight shuts off and back on several times. Is it the ballast or the bulb?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry i'm just having a brain freeze trying to understand what was done here to the wiring harness. You shaved the back of the harness down to a rectangle to almost match the front, which is the piece that attaches to the back of the headlight. What does shaving the back of it do if the front is unmodified? Does this some how keep a tight connection to the headlight?

edit: ahhh I see whats going on. I'm going to give this a go today, but before I cut anything up on the new wiring harness, going to make sure the fuse didnt blow. I ordered a brand new headlight and all new bulbs (using original ballast) but not getting power to any of the lights including the orange turn signal. It probably doesnt help that its been below 10 degrees and snowing in NY but will hope for the best

Last edited by JRoz; 01-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoz
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry i'm just having a brain freeze trying to understand what was done here to the wiring harness. You shaved the back of the harness down to a rectangle to almost match the front, which is the piece that attaches to the back of the headlight. What does shaving the back of it do if the front is unmodified? Does this some how keep a tight connection to the headlight?
It allows you to do a much firmer connection to the the back of the light housing before you slide it in.

When you slide it in, due to stress, the connector might not connect as well and wont go any tighter since the distance is fixed.

This way you press it in as far as it can go, but since it is no longer mounted in the tray, the connectors mounting tabs prevent the housing from sliding back in and letting you lock the light in.

You can easily try it to see what I am explaining, just plug it in and don't trim the harness, you will not be able to slide the light and lock in place.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Got it thank you. I'm going to just take the little white connector piece out of the fixed tray first and plug it in just to make 100% sure that it all turns on and everything (with the headlight half way out of the bay of course... and if that all works than i'll probably give it the trim.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Alright so fuses are all fine. I tried getting the harness out of the little fixed tray but it won't come out , do I need to push on the sides, pull towards me, slide back? I don't want break the thing
Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Try lifting it straight up
Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

alright so i was able to get the wiring harness detached from the fixed clamp, i was able to push it into the headlight and the whole thing works fine. The problem is even when there is plenty of slack and i'm just plugging it into the headlight it doesn't fit snug whatsoever. I detached the harness from the black plug and notice that it barely fits snug in the headlight as is, so maybe that's the way its made..great design...?. Seems to be the same case with the passenger light that has no problems.

Anyways I tried lining the harness bit with some sticky tac to make it a little tighter and it barely sits in with that. I took the harness out from the passenger side and switched spots, the passenger side works perfectly with both harnesses and driver side still doesnt work, so i can rule out the brand new harnesses being the issue.

When i took the passenger side light out again because i was going to put back the harnesses i heard a little plastic piece or something fall down into the engine bay?..great...and now i notice that the passenger side light doesn't fit exactly snug in its space...Its locked down and everything and its not moving, but the rubber seal ontop of the headlight doesn't sit flush up against the car. Does everyone's headlights sit tight so that the rubber weather strip is flush against the car? I'm afraid now the next time it rains or snows its going to get too much water in there?...back to the driver side...

So new light, new wiring harness, the ballast worked fine, so what can it be at this point? Can it be that the new headlight's plug is just defective and is too lose or something? Do i need to get some type of replacement track for the headlight to sit in?

To recap I had one headlight that wasn't working before I started, afterwards I have the same headlight not getting power because its not making a good connection. I now have a passenger side light that works but now I think I some how F'd that side up and now it doesn't sit perfectly flush in there, or maybe it was always like that and a small little gap between the lights weather strip and the edge of the car is normal or should that be tight? Oh and I some how broke the little hinge on the headlight tool that sits in the trunk...don't ask me how but it some how got stuck in position when cranking and when i was finally able to crank it back the little washer broke off and now i have two pieces and unable to take the headlights out if i wanted too.. great work! hah
Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

First, make sure you're actually seating the harness into the headlight all the way. You can push it in up to the rubber seal pretty easily, but it takes some force to push that harness into the headlight all the way. You should see the rubber seal on the harness deform as it slides into the headlight housing. If you just slide the harness in up to the rubber housing, it'll jiggle around. Brace the housing against your stomach, and use two hands on each side of the harness to get enough force to get the rubber seal to deform and slide all the way in. It should be a rock solid connection once you get it in all the way.

Also - check the bottom of the housing to make sure you have 2 slide guides (will look like fins), and that each side of the housing has the plastic guides that fit into each track. It's common for people to break those guide fins on the bottom if you don't get the headlight in correctly. You also might check that the large plastic assembly that holds the headlight housing is firm and doesn't jiggle around. It's possible one of the bolts that holds that whole assembly in place came loose and fell out. There is a TSB out for those bolts as I guess some where loose, causing the headlight to jiggle.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

As far as the headlight fitting, should it sit completely flush to the outershell? Or is there a little gap?

Quick Reply: What I did to fix check dipped beam errors and headlights flickering or going out.