Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Motorsport Services
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Strut replacement

Any secrets to reduce the anguish factor? I'm assuming the headliner has to come out...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Just dropped mine off for the replacement at he dealer. Certified baby! I'll ask them how much needs to come off to do it but they said they needed it for 1.5 hours.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorsport Services
Any secrets to reduce the anguish factor? I'm assuming the headliner has to come out...
I would suggest sending a PM to 'Porsche52'....our resident expert and grief counselor.

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...porsche52.html
Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coyote99
Just dropped mine off for the replacement at he dealer. Certified baby! I'll ask them how much needs to come off to do it but they said they needed it for 1.5 hours.
My 06's rear hatch struts get replaced Monday. Dealer told me it will take a couple hours because they replace all 4 and its a PIA. Must be a pretty common problem.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It is not that bad.... It can be done in about 30 min.... That is, when you have done hundreds I guess!!

The "D" pillars must come off, the rear overhad panel must come off, (the one with the light.) Remove plastic drain tube guides. Remove black styrofoam blocks held in with a bunch of dum-dum, eww messy. You must use a pole jack, or prop rod, or your wife or something to hold the rear hatch up before you disconnect the struts. I use a prybar with precise precision to remove the rear hatch and glass struts.

Now, the interior panels on the Cayenne can be a pain in the *** if you let them. To remove, I would suggest a long flat blade screw driver or trim tool, pull down trim and get in close to clips with tool and twist, popping panel down. The "D" pillars are little tricky, you can use the method above for two clips, then you just have to pull, remember to disconnect the speaker if present. Some of the clips will stay installed in the car and not come out with the panel. Use needle nose pliars or interior trim tool to remove. I like to spead out the clips a little with the pliars to re-shape them for better fit when going back together. Install all clips into panel prior to installing. I install the "D" pillar as so. First, secure clip at lower edge next to rear window, then the 2 on the roof, then pull panel up and over rear hatch seal, then give it a few jabs, it should fall into place, if fails to do so, stop hitting it and start over. Pictures and step by step instructions would be best, but that should help.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Motorsport Services
5th Gear

Piece o' cake. Kudos to the Pig Whisperer.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

I have done this on my friends Cayenne and it is not that bad. I can tell you that it did take a lot longer than 30 mins. I am going to take mine to the dealer before the expiration of the warranty to have mine done.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
mrdstr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you need to remove the c pillar trim or unclip the main headliner at all? Doesn't seem to have good access with just the rear headliner and d pillar trim out.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

My 06 has had three set of these things!!

They have failed every winter -- Why no improvement in this part
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Why no improvement in this part

gotta make money out of this thing, just like coils (even with the updated part#) they tend to crack so often.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
My 06 has had three set of these things!!

They have failed every winter -- Why no improvement in this part
Has anyone looked to see if the touareg parts are the same or different and will fit? My touareg is 6 years old and the hatch still works like it was new ( have had the car since 2004). I live in new england too, so no cold problems...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
ventuje
Intermediate

Mine are also failing to hold up rear hatch (04 S). Dealer said they fail like crazy. In fact, he has 17 pairs in stock! I asked him to check with his VW counterpart. The Touregs never fail according to the service manager. So me dealer is ordering in the VM strut to see if they will fit.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Mamut79
Advanced

Just do it... i only ended up having a minor lower ankle pain after replacement ( ASK ME HOW)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
JayRo
5th Gear

Just did mine myself. Took 30 minutes and really easy. Ordered the pair of struts for 130 OEM Porsche and found a great video of a tread that explained every step. EASY!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are some visual aids for those who have not done theirs yet but plan to.

D Pillar Cover. This will give you an idea of how many clips there are and where they are.

Center Cover.

Space that contains the strut, with foam insert.

Foam removed.

New Strut.

Don't forget to reattach your speaker wire when putting everything back together. Yes I did that on one side. If you're a DIYer, this is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Strut replacement