Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM
e90076
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2008 CTT that had a coolant leak about 5 months and 3k miles ago. Unfortunately I am still smelling coolant when I get out of the vehicle. A local Indy used a small camera to see that there is still coolant residue under my intake manifold and in the valley of the engine "v" - my dealer obviously did not clean it well. Anyone have any ideas how long this should last or if it will ever go away without removing the manifold and cleaning properly?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I just received a Class Action Suit letter regarding the plastic coolant pipes. I do not see where there has ever been a Porsche recall on the pipes. I was wondering if there has been a recall and, if not, in light of the suit what is the recourse of those of us (2006 Cayenne S Titanium) that have not have had an issue to date?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM
wfo900
3rd Gear

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Idocdes
I just received a Class Action Suit letter regarding the plastic coolant pipes. I do not see where there has ever been a Porsche recall on the pipes. I was wondering if there has been a recall and, if not, in light of the suit what is the recourse of those of us (2006 Cayenne S Titanium) that have not have had an issue to date?
I too just received the letters. Oddly I received an email about 8pm on Thursday telling me the claim form was due DECEMBER 12, 2013! I got everything together and emailed and faxed it to the number but I'm wondering if my claim really got there. It's really not good manners to send the letters out AFTER the deadline
Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
jetmax
Track Day

Postmarked Dec 12th 2014. Court hearing is on March 10th 2014 at 9am to determine if we get paid.

Dec 12th 2013 date was if you had the repair before you do... if you had the repair after or need it repaired you do...

This affects all 2003 to 2006 model Cayenne V8's.

I did the work myself back in Sept. 2010 as per this forum at a parts cost of $472.47 the settlement is to receive $450 in my case.

The guy above needs to take his car back to the dealer. Dealers clean off all excess coolant before they reassemble, they do not just let you burn it off. So you have a leak the dealer need to address.

John
jmaxvill@hotmail.com if you have ?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Fitemoo Sala
2nd Gear

There is a class action settlement pending in court on the issue of the plastic tubes on all V8 Cayenne models 2002 to 2006.
The truth of the matter is that these tubes are a major design fault by Porsche and instead of doing the right thing by issuing a recall they would rather fight it tooth and nail.

Under the settlement, if a person bought it from a franchise Porsche dealership as a new or ACPO and has had these tubes replaced with under 60K miles, Porsche will reimburse them @ $1,800. HOWEVER, if they bought it from a non Porsche dealer or private party, they will be reimbursed ONLY $450 if they had it replaced OR $375 if they want to have it replaced.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Fitemoo Sala
2nd Gear

I have read numerous threads on this subject and all are complaining about the terms of this settlement but end up with...oh well **** happens.

I dont understand this attitude. Why don't we all complain to the judge by informing him that this is a 3,500 to 4 grand fix at a Porsche dealership and that this is a basic design flaw by Porsche so there should be a recall.

Also, a bulk of Porsche's are sold by non Porsche dealers or private parties so if you happen to be one of those unfortunate souls then we are SCREWED because we would only get $450 if we had the replacement done or $375 to get it done. That is asinine.

We must take a stand and stop this B.S and make the attorneys understand that they should be looking out for our best interest and not Porsche's.

I, for one, and I know a few others will be protesting this settlement.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:51 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fitemoo Sala
I have read numerous threads on this subject and all are complaining about the terms of this settlement but end up with...oh well **** happens.

I dont understand this attitude. Why don't we all complain to the judge by informing him that this is a 3,500 to 4 grand fix at a Porsche dealership and that this is a basic design flaw by Porsche so there should be a recall.

Also, a bulk of Porsche's are sold by non Porsche dealers or private parties so if you happen to be one of those unfortunate souls then we are SCREWED because we would only get $450 if we had the replacement done or $375 to get it done. That is asinine.

We must take a stand and stop this B.S and make the attorneys understand that they should be looking out for our best interest and not Porsche's.

I, for one, and I know a few others will be protesting this settlement.

Amen to that!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Just to throw a bit of reality to the mix of indignation and angst..

- A "RECALL" is a specific legal action in the US - and is an agreement between a manufacturer and the NHTSA to do a SAFETY related repair on an automobile, generally caused by a defective design creating a safety issue that HAS resulted in injuries or death.

- A judge - cannot issue a "RECALL" - only the NHTSA can.

The "class-action" suit is a civil (read - $$$$) action. It is not criminal, and in many cases a settlement (such as we see here) is reached between the attorney(s) filing the action and the manufacturer. The attorneys interest is making money. I doubt very much if they care in the least about what's best for the "class" - they see an opportunity to make some money by pursuing the class-action - so they try to create a "class" that is going to theoretically benefit from the action. In this case there were numerous law firms originally involved, and a judge combined their suits into a single one that one firm would go forward with. Most likely the other firms still will receive some compensation for the efforts they put forward. The attorneys are looking out for THIER best self-interest, and not Porsches.

Complaining to a judge about something and expecting him/her to act on it without presenting it in the correct legal manner (a brief?) with evidence is an exercise in futility. It just doesn't work that way.

Personally I'll be delighted if I get back $450 (I had an independent do the work) since to me - it's an unexpected windfall, I'd already written the cost of the replacement off as just part of the cost of owning a Cayenne.

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV - but I have some minimal experience in how/why they are motivated.. and it's all about the $$$. Getting one to feel sorry for a bunch of poor Cayenne owners seems highly unlikely to me.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:21 PM
titan955
Cruisin'

Hello all, I’m the owner of a used 2005 Cayenne S with 96k miles about to take on the coolant pipe upgrade as my first major DIY. I’ve spent the last few days reading a lot of great content on this site.

I plan on purchasing the coolant pipe kit with 2 gallons of coolant. My starter is making the kazoo noise so I’ll replace that with a rebuilt Bosch starter. I was thinking to replace the thermostat as well since I don’t think that’s been done. The water pump was changed by the previous owner so that should be fine. I have a slow leak that required me to add about 1qt of coolant/water after about 15 months so I don’t expect to find damaged transmission seals or anything like that (I hope).

Is there anything else I should replace while I have the intake manifold off and the coolant pipes out?

TIA
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your sanity....

You've got it all covered, just take your time and all will turn out great!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
mick968
Track Day

Default The Check!

so...............has anyone received any feedback(or better yet) a check from Porsche on the coolant pipe debacle? was there any timing to expect? I sent mine in(the last day for a possible refund) I haven't heard boo no idea if they have received it or not(for all I know they have someone just tossing them in the dumpster) wasn't the hearing suppose to take place in March?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mick968
I haven't heard boo
Same here at this point.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mick968
I sent mine in(the last day for a possible refund)
Received a postcard today reminding me to file before the deadline of December 12, 2014.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 PM
mick968
Track Day

Default Moving Target

Uh,the paperwork I had said Dec.12,2013.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
CALMOTION
Track Day

Default Coolant pipe

New member here. Just bought a 2005 turbo. Will change Cardan shaft and coolant pipe this weekend (friend mechanic). Will they know who to send the notification card too or file directly to the website? Thanks

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.