Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to add that no other manufacture at the time of the ford case used a plastic "water crossover". Ford was the only one, now we have Porsche doing this.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 AM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thar She Blows!

2004 CTT 82k miles and my pipes went today!!! to top it all off my wife is 4 days away from delivering our second child and we were at the doctors office checking on the progress. Thank God I was home today and the one driving it when it happened, my wife said she would not have even thought otherwise and probably would have have kept driving it until the engine probably seised

Luckily I kinda knew about this issue, so we stopped driving it and had to pay $200 to flatbed it to the stealer (Flemington, NJ Porsche) and they will start looking at it in the morning....luckily they gave me a nice rental to hold me over Dodge Journey runs very nice, but now I am nervous what they are going to come back with on the estimate. I guess I will try to convince them to call PCNA and or try to join this class action lawsuit! What a pain because I really love this thing and I am original owner. Its amazing how many people have seen this issue and there is not a recall like the coil problem. FML!

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  100.5 KB

-Tim

Last edited by TimC.; 12-22-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
TimC.
Racer

Does anyone know who our PCNA contact person is?
Thanks in advance
-Tim
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
georgef
5th Gear

The 2004 955 I am the new owner of has had the cooling pipes replaced. Yea.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Major bonus...
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
pcst
Racer

I would love to join the class action lawsuit!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lovely CTT decided leak a large puddle of coolant on the garage floor this weekend ;-( I am preparing for the worst.

At this point does a step by step DIY exist? I have not been able to find one.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
profusion
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmcintosh
I also want to add that no other manufacture at the time of the ford case used a plastic "water crossover". Ford was the only one, now we have Porsche doing this.
i spoke with the lawyer 2nd week of dec 2010. do you have any update on this? thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
profusion
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJN334
My lovely CTT decided leak a large puddle of coolant on the garage floor this weekend ;-( I am preparing for the worst.

i haven't seen a true step by step DIY. you can piece instructions together though by reading through different threads here and other sites. did you order the kit yet? good luck with your cayenne.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
AJN334
Advanced

Originally Posted by profusion
i haven't seen a true step by step DIY. you can piece instructions together though by reading through different threads here and other sites. did you order the kit yet? good luck with your cayenne.
I have not ordered the kit yet, who offers the best price? Is the kit at all different if you have a turbo? Is the installation more difficult on a turbo? I haven't figured out if I want to do this myself yet, wondering if it may be over my head especially with the cold weather now.

I have confirmed I have the plastic pipes but have not yet confirmed this is the issue ;-(
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Vino
Racer

I have not ordered the kit yet, who offers the best price? Is the kit at all different if you have a turbo? Is the installation more difficult on a turbo? I haven't figured out if I want to do this myself yet, wondering if it may be over my head especially with the cold weather now.

I have confirmed I have the plastic pipes but have not yet confirmed this is the issue ;-(
Not something I would do in the cold if you don't have a warm garage to do it in. It's a good idea to plan at least some time, a week to just take your time if you decide to diy.
Going rate to do the pipes is all over the place from $1500 to $2500 parts included in the price. I would get it done ASAP as the coolant will start to soak the torque converter and who knows what happened to the starter. I belive the turbo is not that much different, but has some extra lines that need replacing that are no big deal. Check the threads on top of the forum.
www.sunset.com or www.suncoast.com have good prices, just chech which coast your on on shipping may be cheaper.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

... who offers the best price? (
Check Sunset Imports for parts pricing...
http://www.sunsetimports.com/
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Check Sunset Imports for parts pricing...
http://www.sunsetimports.com/
Ditto -- I just ordered from them yesterday!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

This very thread (I think) has virtually everything you need... but spread out over about 13 different posts. Good start on the first page, more good stuff on page 5, etc. Like you, I was all over the place trying to get bits and pieces from everywhere. I always thought one of these days I would consolidate everyone's loose ends into a comprehensive step-by-step that I wish I had. A way of saying thanks for everyone's collective contributions.

I have not ordered the kit yet, who offers the best price? Is the kit at all different if you have a turbo? Is the installation more difficult on a turbo? I haven't figured out if I want to do this myself yet...
So Turbos have a tee-connector at the very back of the engine firewall, that connects to the right-most (?) coolant/heater pipe, and drops back and down. Even if the pipes are changed to aluminum, these tees have compression connections that go bad. So it's a must-do while you're in there. I think someone (T2?) just said he had to go back for the tees that weren't done originally.

And quite honestly: the tee in the back was quite hard, at least for me. But at the same time, it was one of the most satisfying things I've ever completed. But seemed literally impossible when I first saw it. Also, the Turbo hose menagerie above and near the throttle body can be confusing to reassemble - just take some good digital pics before you undo everything.

Otherwise, the pipes themselves were rather easy.

Tell Sunset you have the turbo, and they'll send the kit with the tee.

I've got more tips & tricks that I'd post, but that's probably perpetuating the problem I already described.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

Well folks I filled a case last week. Here are some details on the case my lawyer filed:

1. This class action is brought by Plaintiff seeking damages and equitable relief on his own behalf and on behalf of all others similarly situated who have purchased Porsche Cayenne vehicles ("Class Vehicles"), which includes all Cayenne models manufactured by Porsche.
2. Porsche manufactured all Cayenne models with plastic coolant tubes rather than aluminum coolant pipes as part of the vehicle’s cooling system.
3. Porsche installed the plastic coolant tubes knowing that the tubes will prematurely degrade and fracture. This failure causes coolant fluid to leak, often resulting in coolant seeping directly into the vehicle’s starter and seals causing possible engine damage and engine failure. When Cayenne owners present their vehicles for repair or replacement, they cannot purchase the same plastic coolant tubes installed by Porsche. Rather, Cayenne owners are forced to purchase an “update kit” from Porsche that essentially replaces the plastic coolant tubes with aluminum coolant pipes for all Cayenne models.
4. Porsche knows that consumers will be forced to purchase the costly aluminum coolant pipes and incur significant labor costs. Despite this knowledge, Porsche made a corporate decision to conceal this knowledge from consumers. Moreover, Porsche chose not to warn consumers of the potential dangers of a sudden coolant spill directly into the starter. Porsche contains to promote the Cayenne engine and its component parts as safe, reliable and free from material defects.
5. As a result of Porsche's practices, Plaintiff and Class members have suffered injury in fact and have lost money or property, including economic damages. Moreover, Porsche has committed consumer fraud and unjustly enriches itself under the laws of New York.

Here is my lawyers contact info if you would life further details on the case:

Jeanne M. Christensen, Esq.
Schlanger & Schlanger, LLP
Main Phone: 1-800-685-2580 | Email: jeanne@schlangerlegal.com
www.NewYorkConsumerProtection.com
Westchester Office:
1025 Westchester Ave., Ste. 108
White Plains, NY 10604
Fax: 914.946.2930 Manhattan Office:
100 Church St., 8th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 212.500.6114