Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto On Headlight Retrofit? - '06 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Only the genuine cables seem to work - the knock off cables don’t have the required connections.
The full software is free, you pay for the cable.
Hope that helps.
Have you Taken the cover off to access the sensor to see which model number it is?
The sensors are physically different. Some can’t be coded as they don’t physically have the light sensor on the board.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 PM
dalewydra
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So to update the list, I have been able to successfully code my 2008 957 S.
Did as Touareg suggested and its working fine, obviously had the light sensor from factory.
For the record I used the cheapo Vag-com HEX+CAN cable and VCDS software.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 PM
jweimer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Rennlist!

New subscriber but long time reader. I thought it's about time that I contribute albeit a small contribution at this point.

Background: I have a 2004 Turbo (love it by the way) and wanted to try to update it with the auto headlights as mine does not seem to have it. My light switch does not have an "auto" setting. I do have a rain sensor (wipers vary speed with rain intensity), I seem to have some type of lighting convenience package as when I unlock my doors with the FOB my interior lights go on, I have side view mirror lights that go on and footwell lights that also go on. I don't believe that I have an auto dimming mirror but not certain how to know for certain. I had one on my G35 and it had a small indicator light to indicate autodimming on/off but I see no such light on my Cayenne.

Well, driving to the train station at dawn, I had might lights on, parked at the station and left my lights on. Aside, I seem to have no warning chime for this (broken speaker perhaps). Needless to say when I returned that night my battery was depleted enough to not start the car and I was not happy. This lead me to this thread in my quest to update to auto on headlights.

What I have done, so far:

1) I bought a used auto on headlight switch from ebay. I bought this from a seller that I have purchased from many times before. This may be moot since the switch is electromechanical but I have never had a problem with similar type parts from this seller before. After 5 minutes of experimenting in removing the switch, it did come out albeit with a little persuasion. I guess after 13 years, I would be a little hesitant to leave my comfortable home as well. Once out, the switch was replaced in one minute. It was night, but tested the switch and all positions work well. I tried using a flashlight shining on the rain sensor but saw no change so left it waiting for the next day to test it with real sunshine. Well, testing in bright daylight seems to have no effect on turning off the headlights. My autoswitch setting seems to be simply an "on/off" function with no capability to adapt to light or darkness to turn on or off the headlights.

Next step(s):

1) I am going to try the path taken by ratbonesxx i.e. "by changing out the rain sensor to part # 7L0 955 559 A along with the new switch. No coding was needed." and see if this has an effect. I'll let you know the result once I get the new sensor.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi and welcome!
My turbo is the same vintage and, after I changed the sensor to an A version, the auto function worked fine.
It’s easy , just be careful with the clips behind the rear view mirror.
If you want the options on the dash (lights option in the main menu next to the comfort setting- you get a ‘coming home’ option to delay the lights going off after you exit the vehicle) you have to code it otherwise it works fine. Code it with durametric or vcds.
You don’t have auto dimming rear view mirror - it has an obvious button. And wires.
You need to change the speaker on the rear of the instrument cluster to restore the noises (beware the seat belt chime is very irritating! It goes off as soon as the engine has started rather than after you drive off!). It is, however, quite simple to fix the speaker. If you are in the Uk send me a message I have a a couple of them spare.
Finally your battery. Check the one in the boot under the bose subwoofer. If you have one it should prevent a flat as it shuts off at low voltage and is only used to start the car. (The main battery is under the passenger seat in a RHD car).
Good luck! It’s a great car but it has many things that go wrong and test your patience!

Last edited by Stringbag; 02-06-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Flyarmyguns
6th Gear

I tried the auto switch on my 2008 Turbo. It did not work, and I got a stranger bug.... The right dynamic cornering light stayed on, so I can't use the switch (yet). I'm going to get some dealer work done soon. I'll have them enable auto lights and see what happens...
Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 PM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This will do the trick for you - 5 minute retrofit and works straight away with no coding required

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 219 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyarmyguns
I tried the auto switch on my 2008 Turbo. It did not work, and I got a stranger bug.... The right dynamic cornering light stayed on, so I can't use the switch (yet). I'm going to get some dealer work done soon. I'll have them enable auto lights and see what happens...
Had same issue with my 08 GTS but a quick PIWIS programming nailed it.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by RazMan
This will do the trick for you - 5 minute retrofit and works straight away with no coding required

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Lig.../dp/B078P42C9K
Very clever. Have you done it on a Cayenne?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:55 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Indeed I have on my 2009 957 - hence my post Full control over the way your lights work - there is an app to get it all set up
Old 04-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Flyarmyguns
6th Gear

Hi RazMan,
What does the Bluetooth auto switch do, that the OEM lights don't do? I see that you can select individual light systems for on/off, and delay, but for what purpose? What features do you use, or have you changed about the OEM light system besides auto on/off? Choices are always nice, but I don't know what I would do with programmable lights that Porsche didn't do already... But I'm ready to learn!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
RazMan
Instructor

I installed this switch a while back - its one of those 'fit & forget' things ...... and I have forgotten all it can do

As far as I can recall, you can
  • Auto on - side lights and headlights at different ambient light levels (my main reason for buying it)
  • Set fogs to come on automatically with head lights
  • Set delay for switching headlights on (saves strain on battery when starting)
  • Coming home lights
  • Waking up lights
  • Probably more too but I've slept since I installed it
Definitely worth every penny and no coding required!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:37 AM
AirShox EU
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Lig.../dp/B078P42C9K
Which one exactly did you buy? There are many versions inside the ad.
Regards
Old 07-04-2019, 03:59 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Have a look at the version list - EL16 will fit the Cayenne
Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 AM
AirShox EU
Track Day

Have a look at the version list - EL16 will fit the Cayenne
I saw it, just needed to be sure
Old 07-07-2019, 07:25 PM
AirShox EU
Track Day

I confirm it works with Switch that has AUTO + coding (VCDS and PIWIS, both works) and OE installed sensor (7L5 955 559 - MRO TRW in my case).
However, as soon as I code out "DRL" both headlights and daytime running lights (LED horizontal once) turn off. Is there a way to code/program only LEDs to light up during the day?
Regards

Quick Reply: Auto On Headlight Retrofit? - '06 Cayenne