Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can the manual GTS replace your 911?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the manual GTS replace your 911?

below is a review i did on a recent drive of a manual tranny GTS. my overall impression is that the truck might just be enough to handle the fun of summer and the weather of winter - all rolled into one!

well i drove it for an hour last night and put 60km on it. Overall, it is an amazing vehicle.

1. it did take a bit to get over the speed of the Turbo. initially the GTS just seemed slow but after 20 minutues or so you relaized this is a fast machine, just not blindingly fast.

2. two things make it much more engaging than the turbo. one of course is the manual transmission. now i only use the console shifter on the tip of the turbo, so at least that much connection is already there but there is nothing like the manual. the throw is long and desperatly needs some form of short shifter mod.

the other element is the useability of the rpm range. 2nd gear was fanatastic in the 60km/hr (40mph) traffic zones. it was perfect and you could take it from 3k to 6k rpm - just back in forth in that power range. 3rd gear is great in the 90km (55mph) zones; always in the power band and you could take it up to redline all the time. bottom line is that you can use the upper RPM's in this manual GTS far more than the turbo; if you pop the turbo to redline in anything but 1st gear, then in Ontario at least you blow into car impounding excesses over the speed limit.

3. well no turbo lag, but that is exchanged with the fact that it is just slower. if you are doing 110km on the higher you are at about 4k rpm. so if you pin that you are too low in the power band so essentally you have mimicked the turbo lag. you need to downshift to 3rd which takes you to about 5k rpm and change so you only have about a 1.5k rpm to hit it and got to 4th now to take off.

4. no PDCC - put it this way, if that GTS had been optioned with PDCC, i would have finished the deal on the spot. - bottom line i had found it that fun. w/o PDCC there was much more roll. i drove in double sport 90% of the time so this is minimized, but definitley notice the loss of the almost totally flat drive of the PDCC. this flatness of the PDCC is felt on every aggressive lane change and any hard city cornering. if you only do those super smooth Jackie Stewart like lane changes you will not miss PDCC. the one plus of no PDCC is back to the "engaging" element. the limiited body roll of the sport mode really does add to the aura of speed etc.

4. comfort of those new seats blows the existing seats out of the water. the side and thigh bolstering are much better. the alcantera holds you in place. they seemed a bit softer and so the sport setting was softened a bit when it hit your @ss. reminds me very much of the sports seats in my 4S. they allow the car to get away with no PDCC as you do end up needing the side bolster when you push.

5. sound - completly amazing because you get to use the upper rpm range of the GTS so much when you are screaming around. that running at higher rpm's imo makes the experience less transferable to the turbo because you need to get over 4k rpm. when at rest, you could get the same experience with a turbo, but not while out screaming around town. windows open or closed, you hear exhaust not engine; not intrusive - just bloody fun!

all in all, the GTS is not a highway crusier as it is just geared way to high. 120 km /hr (70mph) you are doing something like 3,300 rpm vs about what 1,700 rpm in the turbo. if freeway driving is not on your menu most of the time and your environment allows for a clutch, this is imo perhaps the only car you need. it is that much fun; the turbo will get you to your desired speed faster everytime, but the GTS will be more fun getting there.

as a final note, given the willingness to rev to redline - smooth engine, amazing sounds etc - the mileage on the average day of GTS driving will be shocking. i was using 21 ltr / 100km - maybe 10 or 11 miles to the gallon? even taking it on those inevitable hwy cruises will likely shock you as it is geared so high.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

no, not even close.

To include a comment on Cayenne handling with a mention of Jackie Stewart, well that is just blasphemous.

Sound.... You can make a lot of cars SOUND GOOD. Is this really a criteria?

Man, the power of marketing. Maybe Porsche will start running the Cayenne in LeMans. I wonder if Roger would do it?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

yeah yetis, you are right - no one cares about sound on their vehicles - oh wait, i just did a thread search on that issue and it overloaded Rennlists's search tool!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

GTS over my GT3??

NO!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking at the BMW X6-5.0 as a pick for the replacement of my X5
Audi, Porsche GTS, are in the running at this point.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

my overall impression is that the truck might just be enough to handle the fun of summer and the weather of winter - all rolled into one

this is the condition around the assertion - so for many places this is just a non-issue - sorry about the confusion.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Read your thread yesterday and then took the club coupe out for a run last night.

Conclusion is even if the 6 speed GTS can be have with the 500 hp engine, it still cannot replace a 911 for spirited driving. The truck is just too heavy for real driving enjoyment. It may take you from point A to B in about the same time, but it will not duplicate the enjoyment of a true sport car. So keep your C4S.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
AndreCT
Racer

I will say NO.. and it all comes down to physics. 3,000 pounds versus 5,000 pounds. So accelration is slowr. Braking distance is longer. Cornering is just not the same. That said, I can carry 4 people in relative comfort in the GTS and have fun. I will need snows for the winter because I don't care that it is 4wd, the Pirelli P Zero's are just not going to hack it with as little as an inch of powder on the ground.

Overall a fine truck but in no way can it REPLACE a 911
Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
I will need snows for the winter because I don't care that it is 4wd, the Pirelli P Zero's are just not going to hack it with as little as an inch of powder on the ground.

You will absolutely, positively need snows in the winter.

I had a set of P Zero Rossos, and while they are wonderful in the summer, they are horrible in the winter. Even in cold weather without snow, they become hard.

I ran an all-season tire on my Cayenne over the last winter, and I will most likely switch to dedicated snows on a smaller rim this winter.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

Know what ya mean. I replaced my 07 C2S and 08 Ford F250 PSD with the GTS. Obviously miss the 997 on certain days but don't miss the ford one bit. Grew tired of having to drive that thing (ford) anytime i wanted take my dogs or boat anywhere etc. After 4k in the GTS, if there is such a thing as an all-n-one "fun" car the GTS sure comes close. All I need now is 993 and my garage will be good.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTS cannot replace the fun of my GT3. It "reminds" me of the GT3 or 911, but it is not a replacement. Just my opinion.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Totally different driving dynamic. Some of you have 997s and GT3, which are way better than most 996s! I can only compare my 996 to my CS, and although the CS is a very awesome all around vehicle, it is no sports car, period.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own a GTS (base Cayenne instead), but I don't care how well it drives. No way it could replace the 911. Especially the GT3.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayenne = Rose O'Donnell (or if you prefer, Cayenne GTS = Anne Hesche)
911 = Victoria's Secret supermodel

Sure, you can dump your Victoria's Secret supermodel girlfriend and replace her with Rosie O'Donnell and/or Anne Hesche.

To each his own.

In fact, the head of the Porsche Motorsports Department is considering changing from the Carrera Cup to the Cayenne Cup.
The 911 was a really bad idea in the first place, why would you possibly put the engine BEHIND the rear wheels? What was he thinking?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Memo to our esteemed moderator:

Could you please give the person who originated this thread a bib....I think Cayenne carnal lust is causing him to drool all over the forum and its members.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Cayenne = Rose O'Donnell (or if you prefer, Cayenne GTS = Anne Hesche)
911 = Victoria's Secret supermodel

Sure, you can dump your Victoria's Secret supermodel girlfriend and replace her with Rosie O'Donnell and/or Anne Hesche.

To each his own.

In fact, the head of the Porsche Motorsports Department is considering changing from the Carrera Cup to the Cayenne Cup.
The 911 was a really bad idea in the first place, why would you possibly put the engine BEHIND the rear wheels? What was he thinking?
Rosie O'Donnell is quite a pig, I'll give you that. But c'mon, the Cayenne isn't that bad! And don't start talking about Roseanne Barr - it's not that bad either.

Surely there must be some cousin of a supermodel who is a little on the portly side, but still has some family genes... One who shares some DNA, but who didn't quite get the same build as the original... that's what we need to find for comparison...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can the manual GTS replace your 911?