Tires, Tires and More Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires, Tires and More Tires.

As it relates to the Cayenne, I'm a vertiable tire guru on the differences in the brands and what "works" with our lovable pig. I've had Continentals (horrible), Bridgestones (bad) and Michelin Diamaris (excellent ride.. short life) -- after switching to Michelins.. the vibration/shimmy never returned..

So.... after several sets of Diamaris on my Beta and on the Tit.S, I went "radical" and had installed today @NTB Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45/VR19 - set of 4. Beat Costco and matched Tirerack at $248. These are V rated tires and actually have a 440 rating. The ride is great.. now we'll see if the 5900# pig will go twice as far before needing new shoes! Do not trust NTB to do the alignment so I am going to spring for that at the dealer.

Anyone else tried the Latitudes (they are now N0, PAG approved)?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post pics, I would love to see how they look on your Cayenne.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
vyper340
Pro

I like the Yoko's and have the 20's on CTT and 275 or 285's. Love the ride, they are quiet, and seem to be lasting so far.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are the ones I've had on (20") since October. Around 10k miles on them so far and looks like they'll definitely be good for another 10k.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I am on my second set of Contis and they seem to wear well for me (in mostly highway driving). Good in the snow too.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the N-rated Latitude Tour HPs on the truck now and I have been quite pleased overall.

Good handling, quiet, comfortable (but not sloppy), and excellent all weather performance so far, even in light snow.

I burned through the Rossos in about 9K miles. The Rossos were sharper in the handling department compared to the Latitude Tour HP, but the Rossos were poor in the cold and the treadwear was horrible!

I couldn't source Latitude Tour HPs... I had to get them through the dealer.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

$248 for a set of four sounds pretty good!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
$248 for a set of four sounds pretty good!
That is truly a "fantasy". Dealer was over $300+.*

*per tire for those who the historic cold and snow in the north due to global warming has NUMBED their brains!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
These are the ones I've had on (20") since October. Around 10k miles on them so far and looks like they'll definitely be good for another 10k.
I'm hoping 20-30K. I've gotten 20K on Diamaris with mostly highway driving.. but 10-15K with mostly city. Feels like a Jimmy Buffett song.. Changes to Latitudes.........
Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
I have the N-rated Latitude Tour HPs on the truck now and I have been quite pleased overall.

Good handling, quiet, comfortable (but not sloppy), and excellent all weather performance so far, even in light snow.

I burned through the Rossos in about 9K miles. The Rossos were sharper in the handling department compared to the Latitude Tour HP, but the Rossos were poor in the cold and the treadwear was horrible!

I couldn't source Latitude Tour HPs... I had to get them through the dealer.
Great.. glad to hear you like them.. I lucked out at NTB.. the only 4 in their system were in Ohio and they FedEx-ed (ground) at their expense (only took one day?). Costco was on back-order so it would have been weeks. The dealer said it would be a while too but they wanted $300+ and they charge labor per hour not per tire.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Brad Baker
Advanced

I Have the Lattitude HP on my X5 4.6is. Very,very happy with them. Bought them from tire rack. I've ordered a new CTT, wish I could get them for it. It hopefully will come w/ Lattitude sports.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM
rbaron
Racer

Last November my original (04 CS 21k miles) Pirelli Scorpions were getting down to the wear bars so I went to my dealer for suggestions. They ordered and installed Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255/55VR18 at $275/each.....I am so far quite happy with them. They handle as well as I need them to in dry and wet and are substantially quieter than the Pirellis ever thought of being.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
cbditty
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

$275 each tire???

hell, ill sell you my <500 mile Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255/55VR18 takeoffs for only $250 per tire and ill even throw in the 18" Turbo II wheels attached to em for free

who's gonna beat that deal?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Stone43
Racer

Had the Pirellis, took a corner a little too sharply and banged the side of the tire resulting in a large bump on the sidewall that grew by the day. Went to the local Discount Tire and they were out of that model/size everywhere in San Diego. Out of other models as well (bad day to need 20" I suppose). I was left with the option of taking a chance with that tumor growing on the side (the size of a Lacrosse ball at this point) blowing out, no spare, would end up back to the shop anyhow or doing something immediately.

I had to (gulp) opt with some (gulp again) roadhugger Discount Tire house brand that was a bit taller and a bit wider. I could not bear to watch, so I went across the street to grab some Starbucks while they installed them. I figured I would use them for a little while and then get some new replacements. Hell, they were cheap and new and were tumorless.

So I walk back to pick up the pig and the first thing I noticed was how much better the wheel wells were filled out. The tread design was quite aggressive as well and they were a bit wider. I come from the 911 world and my motto was always wider is better. I figured the drive home would be an adventure (noise, shimmy, something had to be amiss) but these stupid things were as quiet and smooth as the Pirellis. I figured I would keep them on for a couple of weeks and then replace them hoping my wife did not notice. Long story short, I am still using them 10K+ miles, they have great tread left, powered through the snow at Mammoth, survived all of the recent rain storms and still quiet and smooth. Go figure.

The only thing I have to fear is when I pull up next to someone and they look down to see what I am rolling on and don't see Pirelli next to "roadhugger" and then shoot me a strange look.

I won't ever bother telling you what I paid per tire.....
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

The origninal Contis on my car lasted for just over 26K. I currently am running the Hankook Ventus ST. My dealer said that they are now Porsche approved, but I cannot verify that anywhere. There is no mention of them in the TSBs related to tires, so I am thinking my dealer was overly optimistic. That being said, I have been very happy with them. I have about 12K on them so far, and they look like they aren't even half way worn. I'll report back again in another 12K.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires and More Tires.