Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Steering code

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:05 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow that is incredibly helpful. That makes sense why they fail now and how to fix them without getting bent over for $5k by a dealer. I have not had this problem yet, but have no fear of it happening to me now!

So you repaired and reinforced the plastic magnet arm and swapped out the relays for new ones?

It looks like they are relatively easy to source:
http://www.yoycart.com/Product/528976305807/
Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 PM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

So far I've only had to rebuild the plastic arm. I used some epoxy and sanded to shape. Learning the hard way that the magnets had to face a certain direction as the Micronas sensors are pole sensitive.

The relays, I've read of others doing for various makes of ESL/ELV models. Audi, VW, etc. I could see how they are a potential weak spot.
The following users liked this post:
torofluxgemini (08-09-2019)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

More great info. Thanks!

Yes, all relays such as these will eventually fail. It is just a matter of time. Glad to know they have hidden a few on this board and deemed their failure a certainty for replacing the entire steering column just to make the ownership experience a little more 'interesting.'

Add the plastic magnet arm to the growing list of brittle plastic pieces on a Pcar that can bite us in the *** and leave us stranded with a large repair bill at the dealer's mercy, haha.

It almost has a whiff of planned obsolescence from an engineering design perspective - especially when they won't just make replacement modules as a necessary separate part!
Sid Rao (04-04-2022)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Johnj1411
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so update on the steering fault problem, as per previous post ,sent twice to EMD in Sydney Australia this company is a complete joke they had part for 4 months on and off sent it back never worked sent it back again never worked charged me $815 dollars for the privilege diabolical service
After many phone calls to the receptionist who is owners wife as you can never speak to him
Finally got a part refund of $655 they took off postage that i paid for in first place,so big note to all DO NOT USE EMD SYDNEY TO GET YOUR CAR FIXED.

I have since sent the steering lock ,Key & kessy to Tom at speedometer solutions in USA
He has had parts 1 week sent a video of it all tested and working in a real life simulation
He is now sorting kessy out so doors will open from button on handle s this had never worked he said this is a common problem there are 2 mosfets and 6 resistors to replace finally he has sorted this major issue
So to all out there with this problem of either faulty steering lock or kessy not unlocking doors.
Tom from speedometer solutions is the Guy you all need to contact
Parts will be sent back in next 2 weeks with postage so pepper will be alive again
Hope this helps all you peeps out there will let you know how i go when parts arrive
Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Johnj1411
8th Gear

Parts will be here next week 😎
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to hear! Tom is going to make a killing on this fix as its pretty common. There is a good thread on the 6 speed board about this too.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:38 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How does the plastic arm end up bending like that in normal operation?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

It was broken on 3 sides somehow. When installed it obviously won't allow the same degree of bend as the photo shows, but it could (did?) Affect operation. It appears the hall sensors are very picky about the timing between stops. Not sure if the cause or the result, but the sensor array mount was slightly worn and out of square.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Johnj1411
8th Gear

So finally the cayenne is alive again
to all who have this issue contact Tom at speedosolutions USA he is a fantastic bloke who knows how to fix this issue at a very reasonable price there is no need to buy a new column he will sort it and it carries a 2 year warranty
Dont make the mistake i made and tried the very incompetent EMD in Sydney they are absolutely clueless rip off merchants who dont give full refunds on there crap work beware

instead use the best Tom at speedosolutions
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

For those looking for what Johnj411 found - look at: http://www.speedosolutions.com/Audi-...ice_p_112.html

$350 sounds a lot better than the prices Porsche wants to replace the entire steering column. And with the increasing number of failures being reported in the 955/957 series - I expect that speedosolutions will be quite a busy place.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

It's been awhile, but I finally had some time to do some additional diagnostics on my lock failure. I opened up the on board relays to have a look, and found the NC contacts nearly worn all the way down. This would account for the intermittent nature of my steering lock failure. After the inspection, I hooked it back up to the cabling and found that I no longer have any lock actuation, but also NO more failure codes. The lock does not move, and is not throwing any error codes so far after 50-60 cycles. I disabled the mechanical lock slide on the column to prevent any accidental movement and unfortunate steering column lockups at speed, and have temporarily mounted the lock to a dash support. Will be doing further diags soon to determine what the output is doing that keeps KESSY happy.

I haven't dug very deep into the circuit yet, but I believe the relays are used for the polarity reversing circuit of the lock motor, if the current exceeds a threshold - a "jam" is detected and triggers a fault.

As a side note, the relays are available for under $5 each, and seem to be the prime point of failure for any DIY folks out there. Technical data on this part (lock assembly) is very hard to locate.

Relays with top removed.
Worn contactor pads shown in top right between term87 and 87a.

Last edited by RT_955TT_KY; 08-17-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Spell-check issue
Brearz (09-22-2022)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Default 84 Cayenne S Steering Faulty Workaround

Awesome writeup, and the pictures really help.

I have experienced the "Steering Faulty" intermittently, and have found something that (for me) gets me out of it:

1. Pull the key from the ignition
2. reach under the steering column and find the connector for the lock. Squeeze the tabs on either side, and pull it out.
3. re-connect the connector (plug it back in)
4. Clear the code. I use a Durametric on the "Alarm" module to clear the 288 error
5. put the key back in the ignition. In my case, all is well and next time you pull the key out you hear the steering lock work.

This has worked for me a couple of times.

For a long term fix I'll likely send the unit to Tom and have it rebuilt - I don't have your mad electronics component level soldering skills .
Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY
I haven't dug very deep into the circuit yet, but I believe the relays are used for the polarity reversing circuit of the lock motor, if the current exceeds a threshold - a "jam" is detected and triggers a fault.
So if I am reading your above post correctly, you think you have encountered a failure mode of the relays after dremeling the tops off that has now rendered the lock servo inoperative. This condition seems to present a signal that keeps the KESSY module happy and you have thusly secured the mechanism so that it can not accidentally activate while driving?

I am very eager to hear about your findings when you get around to testing the circuit. That would be pretty stellar if we could just short a few of the terminals on the relays to replicate this.

Though it hasn't happened to mine yet, I would be more than happy to disable the steering lock altogether and never have to worry about this problem in the future. Any preventative thing I can do to avoid a major slowdown or future stranding is worth far more than losing a small security feature.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:03 PM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

You read correctly. Lock has been removed from column, not operating and no kessy or starting issues for over a week now. I hope to be able to probe around in the next week or so and document the results.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 AM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interested to know more about this, since my '04 Cayenne Turbo is now dead with "Steering Faulty"!

Quick Reply: Faulty Steering code