Getting Cayenne Off-road ready

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 AM
O l\l E
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Cayenne Off-road ready

Hi,

I am just contemplating getting a used Cayenne Turbo. I would use the car during week for normal work commute but on the weekends for back country trips. From what I have gathered so far, the Cayenne could potentially very well off road with a few mods - a lift and some AT tires etc.

Question - has anyone any knowledge of any lift kits - which could help to get a better clearance. Also anyone experience how the electronics might react to different tires sizes lift etc.??

TY
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The car lifts itself high enough for just about all off road conditions. You can get adjustable sway bars with the off road kit but its not retrofitable if its not already there.

Switch to 18 inch AT and carry a spare in the trunk or on a roof rack, many people do this.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
O l\l E
3rd Gear

I actually looking at a car that has the advanced off road package. The lift looks promising - I just would like to be able to occasionally put some bigger tires / Super Swampers? on in order to be able to easily handle some Category IV type off road trails . I live in Vegas and usually spend most of the weekends somewhere in the dirt exploring...taking a Cayenne turbo up Rubicon would be the plan ...

Do you think the lift would allow me to put 33" or bigger without danger of rub? I tried to search on the net to see any references of anyone trying to lift a cayenne but haven't been able to find anything yet. Obviously not too many people are taking their Cayennes really off-road - but for myself the off road capabilites are the main priority - maybe there are some other owners out there having some type of experience with this SUV in more extreme conditions.

Thanks again

Last edited by O l\l E; 09-18-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Not a chance I dont think, there are too many systems which will be unable to cope with that size of wheel. I would pass on it if thats what you really want to do.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be interested in seeing a Cayenne with a lift kit and 33" wheels.....maybe on its roof, wheels up, like a turtle........wait a minute, bad Larry, bad, get away from the keyboard.....

Sorry about that.
Perhaps asking in the Volkswagen Touareg forums would be a good idea; perhaps it's been done over there.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
jpljr
AutoX

but for myself the off road capabilites are the main priority
19" wheels, 5400 lbs, IFS, no real extraction points, no rocker panel protection, plastic f/r bumpers...

You would have had a very tough time with the 'GateKeeper' in a CTT on 33's before they got rid of it. At least then you would be stuck 300 feet in.

Now that GateKeeper's gone, you'll just get stuck farther in.

I'd be curious to see what the VW guys have done with the Tourag's. I've seen some out on the mild stuff in Moab. With enough momentum, they did ok.

But you'd be coming home from the 'Con with a pile of pieces and parts, unless there are even more bypasses than there were before.

-jpl
Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O l\l E
I actually looking at a car that has the advanced off road package. The lift looks promising - I just would like to be able to occasionally put some bigger tires / Super Swampers? on in order to be able to easily handle some Category IV type off road trails . I live in Vegas and usually spend most of the weekends somewhere in the dirt exploring...taking a Cayenne turbo up Rubicon would be the plan ...

Do you think the lift would allow me to put 33" or bigger without danger of rub? I tried to search on the net to see any references of anyone trying to lift a cayenne but haven't been able to find anything yet. Obviously not too many people are taking their Cayennes really off-road - but for myself the off road capabilities are the main priority - maybe there are some other owners out there having some type of experience with this SUV in more extreme conditions.

Thanks again
Get a Jeep Wrangler. Your going to spend that amount money on trying to rig a Cayenne up with 33" tires and it's going to end up handling like a John Dear after you get done with it.

The Cayenne does really well off road, the air suspension is a must. The low range with the 6 gears works really well. You can still cruise at 30mph while going really slow in first. The tiptronic is well suited for off road work. I just have trouble with dragging a $70k car through the tress and up the ditch's.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts
Default A HUMMER H3 would do nicely too...

I would stay away from an H2 - it's too big and heavy for serious offroad work or rock climbing.

An appropriately equipped H3 will take you just about anywhere. No need to worry about tires rubbing, and it already handles and rides like a John Deere tractor.

Whenever I go offroad, the HUMMER is my vehicle of choice. The Cayenne stays in the garage.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

get an LR3-they are very good on the highway and one of the best vehicles you can buy today to go offroad without any mods except for maybe tires.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
blysccr
Instructor

lol, super swampers. bfg is the way to go. I have 06 rubicon. 23 g's. 5g in lift. tires for 1. under 30, you can have much more capable rig than the porsche will ever be. not to mention protection for the car, and aftermarket offrad support is much better for jeep. Save 40 and get something else...that's what i'd do.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

http://rides.webshots.com/album/94072630QAdoQV?start=0

nice
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The picture of that wheel tells the story.

So How did the call to Porsche Road Assitance go? I'm on Engineer Pass and I can't find the spare. Could you send us a loaner, my Wife needs to go to the bathroom.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
jpljr
AutoX

Glad to see the Pepper off pavement... Definitely seems like a capable platform for fire roads and mild, mild trails.

Can you imagine someone trying to run the Rubicon in it though, like the OP suggested?

Picture a CTT in 'the box' to get an idea of what type of trails he's trying to run with it.

Little Sluice

I guess it might be fun(ny) to watch... I wouldnt want it to be my truck though.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Cayenne|17
6th Gear

OMG That guys crazy off road in a 100K PORSCHE whoa he must have a excellent investor
Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
sigs
Racer

There are actually a fair number (okay, a small number) of folks who use their SUVs for the purposes for which SUVs were actually intended (well, actually, they weren't called SUVs back then and the degeneration into mall crawlers started about the time folks actually started calling them SUVs). The "sport" in "sport utility vehicle" had nothing to do with the "sports" in "sports car." While not intended to crawl the Rubicon, which few people attempt in anything close to a stock SUV, anyway, they were intended for moderate off-road use for hunting, fishing, camping, etc. With proper wheels/tires and with the air suspension, the Cayenne is actually quite capable for such uses. Even with the limitation of my 19" wheels, I've taken mine anyplace I would have taken my old JGC and places I would have never tried to take my ML. I've probably moved a little slower (because of the 19" wheels) and trimmed a few more branches to protect the paint job, but the capabilities of the vehicle have not been a limitation. With the off-road package, the vehicle is very impressive, but if I'm going someplace where the vehicle is going to take a beating, I'll take an old CJ5 with serious suspension mods and off-road shoes, and none of the above.

Quick Reply: Getting Cayenne Off-road ready