Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-81 Option - Is it a CTT"S"

Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea! And a fake "S" on the back. And some 22" chrome wheels. And maybe a lowering kit.

It would be more my style to go retro. Since you're a Ford man, how about I debadge it and put a Bronco badge on it? I loved that truck, even though it was 10 times more trouble than my Cayenne. You think my old "Bronco" white-letter floor mats could be trimmed to fit? My old "Bronco" spare tire cover, too. But, wait - I don't HAVE a spare tire to cover.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking about rebadging it as a Caddy. I could pull a few markings off of an Escalade down the street...there are so many, they probably wouldn't notice
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
So, take an E81 ECU on a CTT, reflash it with a very slightly modified image (via PIWIS) and voila!......now its 520 instead of 500.......then apply S badge.....done. Such is the nature of Turbo engines....re: easy to tweak.
Yes, of course the Turbo engine is easy to tweak and that is why other aftermarket ECUs get far more than 500 HP out of this engine. Nevertheless, is this speculation of what you "think" happened or is this the "truth?" (I often can't tell whether these are tongue-in-cheek throw-away comments or are the real deal). Either way, apparently there IS a slight difference between the X50 and S upgrade, which seems to contradict your prior claim that they came out of the exact same parts bin.

Originally Posted by ltc
I'll skip the whole "improved rubber mountings, reinforced tie rods, yadayada"....I simply don't have the stomach for it right now.
I'd be interested in your perspective once you "have the stomach for it."
Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I test drove an e81 and a turboS ,, dont feel the difference they both have different tranny behavior, it downshifts fast which I like.. the brakes is a waste of money.LOL

btw Turbo S is $25K of over here..LOL
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Yes, of course the Turbo engine is easy to tweak and that is why other aftermarket ECUs get far more than 500 HP out of this engine. Nevertheless, is this speculation of what you "think" happened or is this the "truth?" (I often can't tell whether these are tongue-in-cheek throw-away comments or are the real deal). Either way, apparently there IS a slight difference between the X50 and S upgrade, which seems to contradict your prior claim that they came out of the exact same parts bin.
Everything I say is pure speculation and nonsense and should be ignored/disregarded with extreme prejudice.
Everything that PCNA publishes is the absolute truth and should be accepted without question.

The Cayenne Turbo S is a completely different vehicle from a Cayenne Turbo. Porsche spent 100's of millions of dollars redesigning every component of the engine and suspension to create a unique vehicle.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Everything I say is pure speculation and nonsense and should be ignored/disregarded with extreme prejudice.
Everything that PCNA publishes is the absolute truth and should be accepted without question.

The Cayenne Turbo S is a completely different vehicle from a Cayenne Turbo. Porsche spent 100's of millions of dollars redesigning every component of the engine and suspension to create a unique vehicle.
That's what I thought...LOL
Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 AM
sigs
Racer

Statman,
Here is an old link to a discussion on Rennteam that might answer some of your questions.
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=1&vc=1

If you search that forum, you'll find more info on the E-81 powerkit, including a few interesting pics of the different "pieces/parts."

Perhaps the truth lies in between PAG's "official" statements and ltc's channeling of Larry's speculation, though both are most entertaining, in their own right.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Statman,
Here is an old link to a discussion on Rennteam that might answer some of your questions.
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=1&vc=1

If you search that forum, you'll find more info on the E-81 powerkit, including a few interesting pics of the different "pieces/parts."

Perhaps the truth lies in between PAG's "official" statements and ltc's channeling of Larry's speculation, though both are most entertaining, in their own right.
Interesting information sigs, thanks. So, as far as the ECU, the theory advanced on the Rennteam link suggests that there was no reflashing as Lewis suggested but that the E-81 and Turbo S ECU are likely to be one in the same. The speculation is that the original HP estimate of 500 may have been conservative and the 520 estimate for the S is likley to be closer to the "truth."

That is of some importance for those of us who are kicking around the idea of the 2006 Turbo S, versus a 2005 Turbo with the E-81 Powerkit, versus the new 2008 Turbo. The 2005 Turbo with the Powerkit option is starting to look like a pretty good deal in terms of the HP per dollar quotient!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:13 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STATMAN
That is of some importance for those of us who are kicking around the idea of the 2006 Turbo S, versus a 2005 Turbo with the E-81 Powerkit, versus the new 2008 Turbo. The 2005 Turbo with the Powerkit option is starting to look like a pretty good deal in terms of the HP per dollar quotient!

Agreed
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sigs
Well, will you look at what the cat dragged in.....

I especially like the part:
"Reinforced spring struts"
"DME remap"
"Reinforced tie rods as well as improved rubber mounting on the control arms".
I've heard that before, but I just can't Seem to place it......something to do with an "S".......an "S" on the end of the model designator maybe........
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
sigs
Racer

Though I haven't been through the entire parts list, myself, others (see my prior link) have reported identical matches of these pieces-parts with the Turbo S, as well as identical mapping. So, reportedly, aside from the probably mythical 21 hp difference, cosmetic changes, the TPMS, and a lower sticker price, the Turbo S appears to be identical to the E-81. Surely, any discrepancies in description by PAG were simply honest mistakes, don't you think? They'd never purposely try to mislead anyone for marketing purposes. Oh, yeah, forgot one other difference: those who bought the E-81 had to turn around and pay separately to get 19" or 20" wheels, since 18"s won't fit. Since PAG decided to throw those in with the CTTS package for "free," that makes it an even better "bargain."

See, Peter really is looking out for us, after all.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information Lewis...I am even more convinced in terms of my earlier conviction...that is, "The 2005 Turbo with the Powerkit option is starting to look like a pretty good deal in terms of the HP per dollar quotient!"
Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
sigs
Racer

Roger that.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

yep
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Good. Class dismissed.

Remember:
Everything PAG does today is driven by profits. Reuse, re-label, maxmize profits.

Mr Moderator, you can now close this thread.....no wait a minute, burn it instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-81 Option - Is it a CTT"S"