Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 AM
utah997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got back from Vacation and the Dension unit arrived.

Now I'm scared.. time to start tearing stuff apart..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dension arrived today, but this thread has confused me a bit. As already mentioned, the original description / pics say that the Dension was connected to MOST at the amp connection - which seems to be quite easy to access. But a later post by the OP seems to imply that it was the CDC connector that was used (which is what the Dension instructions seem to suggest) - and somebody else has said it's simply not possible to connect to the amp connector with the connectors that come with the Dension.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I like the sound of the easy option, because getting to the CDC mountings and being able to get to the optical connector does not look like a 5 minute job (l've done a search and get the impression that getting the panel that hides the majority of the CDC is not easy to remove). But obviously I want it to work.

I've got a 2003 S if that makes a difference.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:52 PM
studiomusic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get USB/iPod into my '05 TTC... anything out there better than this these days?

Also, is there a way to use my SAT button (I don't have XM) for the iPod interface and not the CD changer? Seems a waste to leave that button unused.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

I just finished this install. Took about 3 hours. Why you ask? I went the route of taking the right rear panel off so I could remove (pull out far enough) the cd changer/amp tray and get to the optical connection for the CD changer. You don't use a bypass loop for this, the Gateway is the bypass loop if you want to think of it this way.

Tapped off the power outlet for power. The actual connection from the car to the Gateway was super easy. Used an existing threaded captive nut in the body along with the adhesive pads to fasten the Gateway to the car. This captive nut is right under the cd changer/amp tray screw that has the head facing towards the front of the car. You don't have to take the right panel off all the way, just take it out far enough to get the component tray out.

Putting the screws back is a bit of a bugger but I get them to stay on the T30 bit by putting some goey stuff on the end of the bit and then the screw stays on while I drive it in. You have to take off the right rear shoulder belt cover (screw is under the airbag symbol), the right upper trim that has the speaker (the speaker wire is really short), the part of the floor on the right side that has the luggage tie downs (t30 bit) and then loosen the two screws (t25) that are under the luggage cover tie down part. Just take your time and everything comes out and goes back in fine. Upper shoulder belt slide can be finicky but you'll get it.

See the write-up on pelican on changing the rear hatch shocks to see how to get the upper right trim part off ( http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm )

Turned on the power and it worked first time. I have a CDR-23 radio with factory CD changer so I used the dip settings for car with CD changer. It was all down and number 4 up. I don't have the CDC in the loop anymore since I don't have any cds that I'd listen to anyway and if I really did I'd use the CD single in the head unit. I have to thank Eric at bumper plugs for the articles he sent as well ahead of my shipment. If you do buy from him and plan to install in the rear and not use the CDC anymore, tell him you don't need the bypass loop.

Quick Reply: DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)