Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)

Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bancu
TimC,

Thank you very much for the write-up. Without it I would _not_ have taken the Denison plunge and certainly wouldn't have sorted out getting it working with the CD Changer in place.
Although, If you see white smoke pouring out of the rear cabin area....please call Larry
Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Larry had worked on this. Maybe he would have tacked on that nice Bluetooth option that is rumored to have been added to his Cayenne.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Tim, just to clarify the "finishing" of all this - you just kept the iPod mounted in the rear and you actually have the all the titles and controls through the PCM head unit?
So yes & yes, right now its mounted in the rear. The next step will be for me to have the iPod located in the center console. As I was doing this project I noticed that the dongle that connects to the iPod has an S-Video type connector (need to confirm the pins) at the end which plugs into the Dension Unit. Its seems almost too simple to run an S-Video extension cable from the rear, under the rear bench seat and up under the rug into the Center Console. Thus powering and connecting your iPod from the drivers seat
Likewise, you could do the same thing for the flash drive and use a USB extension cable!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
bancu
Racer

The extension cable Eric includes in his kits will get the iPod connector to the front arm rest area (with cable to spare) if you run it diagonally under the back seat. He also has extra iPod extension cables available for around $15.

The included USB extension seems to work fine with USB flash drives but I'm having a problem using it with hard drives. A hard drive will work (after a hit and miss startup) when connected directly to the Gateway 500 but doesn't work when connected via the provided USB extension). I've got a note into Eric about this.

Last edited by bancu; 03-14-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

TimC: http://stockcable.com/minidin.shtml
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by Raptor
AWESOME!!! $7.95 for 10ft extension....SOLD!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
DJB
Instructor

HELP:

Installed unit - the dash threw lots of of errors and now the car will not start, even after i have relaced everying as stat - which basically means plugging the optics on the amp back in.

What have i done wrong? Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by DJB; 03-17-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
DJB
Instructor

OK all good - it was a flat battery - seems to be happening a bit of late.

Dension installed - love it.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Had this installed last week. Two questions.

1) has anyone had an issue with the ipod changing its settings after unplugging? Every few times, the repeat function activates, causing the same song to repeat. I reset the settings and it works for a while.

2) the Gateway box hums non-stop. I assume that they connected it to an unswitched power supply in the rear.

At worst, I can live with these problems, but I'd rather not. I'm also worried about draining the battery, or if I might have a defective unit.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by eugkim
Had this installed last week. Two questions.

1) has anyone had an issue with the ipod changing its settings after unplugging? Every few times, the repeat function activates, causing the same song to repeat. I reset the settings and it works for a while.

2) the Gateway box hums non-stop. I assume that they connected it to an unswitched power supply in the rear.

At worst, I can live with these problems, but I'd rather not. I'm also worried about draining the battery, or if I might have a defective unit.
1) Haven't noticed.

2) My understanding is that it has to be connected to an unswitched source. That written mine doesn’t not stay on all the time it powers itself off a bit after the PCM is powered off.

What do you have the iPod recharge setting set to?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by DJB
HELP:

Installed unit - the dash threw lots of of errors and now the car will not start, even after i have relaced everying as stat - which basically means plugging the optics on the amp back in.

What have i done wrong? Any ideas appreciated.
I was going to blame it on driving your vehicle through a stream as show in your Avatar !!! LOL Glad you got it back up and running
Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Use of USB Hard Drives

Originally Posted by bancu
The included USB extension seems to work fine with USB flash drives but I'm having a problem using it with hard drives. A hard drive will work (after a hit and miss startup) when connected directly to the Gateway 500 but doesn't work when connected via the provided USB extension). I've got a note into Eric about this.
Dension still hasn't gotten a fix to me for using USB hard drives with the Gateway 500.

From what I've seen it's not just an issue of using the supplied unpowered extension cable. The unit is not working as advertised with USB hard drives even when a small (1Gb to 5Gb) hard drive is directly connected to the Gateway 500. It will work on occasion but frequently does not mount the drive.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 PM
DJB
Instructor

Has anyone checked if this unit draws power all the time, or does it shut down when the MOST is off. My battery must be close to being on the way out after 3.5 years, but of late, since installing this unit, I am having flat battery issues?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:34 AM
bancu
Racer

I have dual batteries and I'm at about the same amount of time on them (beyond that if you take into account build date). I had problems with the main battery (under the driver's seat) before I put the Gateway 500 in place. Given this I wouldn’t point the finger at the Gateway.

Don’t have any hard facts on the Gateway's power draw but I hear and see the unit click on when the PCM is turned on. It also turns off (laser and external USB power at the least) a bit after the PCM is turned off.

Last edited by bancu; 03-24-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:11 AM
DJB
Instructor

That makes sense thanks Bancu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)