Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in dash/ventilation system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 639 Likes on 392 Posts
Default Noise in dash/ventilation system?

Greetings,

We've got an '04 CS that makes noise in the dash area behind the PCM. Kind of a squeaking/whirring/bellows-opening and closing set of sounds. Sometimes it is really loud, sometimes it goes away, but it is annoying. I thought it was the CD player, but it makes the sounds without a CD in the slot, and I'm pretty certain it is the ventilation system. I saw some information that some other people have experienced this same problem, and that it was a three-day fix under warranty. I did a search as I thought I found something on this forum a while back, but nothing turned up, so I must have found the info elsewhere on the internet.

Does anybody have any experience with this? The car is going in tomorrow for the 40k mile service, and I'm asking them to look at it, but it's hard to reproduce with any regularity.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same noise. There should be two sets of noises. Just turn on the ignition (not the engine). You'll hear a flap. A few seconds later, you'll hear another one. Brought it in to the dealer and fixed it by oiling it.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:19 AM
DJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Does the noise go away when the ventilation system says off.

If so its probably the heat pump - many have been replaced under warranty or at least, re-insulated from vibrating against the body.

I have a roight hand drive vehicle so the pump is on the passenger side near the base of the A pillar - is this where the noise is coming from?

Last edited by DJB; 05-15-2006 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Greetings,

We've got an '04 CS that makes noise in the dash area behind the PCM. Kind of a squeaking/whirring/bellows-opening and closing set of sounds. Sometimes it is really loud, sometimes it goes away, but it is annoying. I thought it was the CD player, but it makes the sounds without a CD in the slot, and I'm pretty certain it is the ventilation system. I saw some information that some other people have experienced this same problem, and that it was a three-day fix under warranty. I did a search as I thought I found something on this forum a while back, but nothing turned up, so I must have found the info elsewhere on the internet.

Does anybody have any experience with this? The car is going in tomorrow for the 40k mile service, and I'm asking them to look at it, but it's hard to reproduce with any regularity.

Thanks,

Mark
And the winner is....... a/c solenoid. an expensive warranty covered item requiring removal of the dash depending on which one or ones are making the noise. The dealer usually (unless their a GREAT one) will try to find other sources etc. there is a TSB on it. There are threads on this.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also while they are in ask them to check the function of the lower servo motor. Tell them you cannot get cold air to the floor.

Thats an expensive fix and there are some duds out there. They should be able to diagnose while they have the tester hooked up.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 PM
OVRSTR
Instructor

I've got the same issue with my '04 S. It's the only issue, aside from factory recalls, that I've had with my vehicle. I too just had my 40k service last week...the dealer said they could not replicate the problem (it figures). I'd love to remedy this problem before my warranty's up!

MadFox, any more info on the TSB you refered to?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Well, mine's back in service for this exact problem. I'll let you know what they find or fix.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
OVRSTR
Instructor

NSXTC, a post of your outcome will be most appreciated.

P.S. It looks like you and I have similiar tastes if the 3.6 is your's also. Nice ride.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:38 PM
NSXTC
Racer

OVRSTR,

Will do. I wish it's a 3.6, but alas, only a 3.3 with 3.6 wheels although I have converted to a C2 Turbo look since then. Just rebuilt the motor...I'm expecting somewhere 400 RWHP. Getting dynoed next week.

Original 930 pics: http://www.northeasttarrantderm.com/davidn/930

Motor rebuild pics: http://photos.yahoo.com/nsxtc

Last edited by NSXTC; 05-16-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:36 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

The infamous a/c servo motor/solenoid noise! All of them make some noise, it is normal operation. A few will get very noisy. There are updated solenoids available and the problem is pretty widely recognized. The early motors were a Bosch/Delphi venture, the newer ones are a Delphi only part. There are five total, and a good service department should be able to track them down fairly easily.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Ok. Got my car back from the dealer. They said the flap was binding and used Krytox on it. The noise is barely noticeable. I'm going to see if it comes back.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:45 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 639 Likes on 392 Posts

Thanks all for the input. The dealer (Pioneer Centres in San Diego) replaced the solenoids and the problem appears to be fixed. I've had the truck in twice (once because the doggone keys would not stay programmed) now and both times Pioneer has provided really excellent service. I mention this because several years ago I had some issues with a Boxster and lambasted them (and every level of Porsche up to and including PAG) and want to make sure I'm as vocal when the service is excellent. FWIW, the service dude even pointed out that the struts that hold the rear cargo door up weren't working as well as they could so he ordered new ones (covered under warranty).

Count me pleased!

Mark
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
joshmoney
AutoX

Anybody know how to get to the solenoids in the dash? Is it just a matter of removing the radio? My 04 s is out of warranty and I need to see if I can fix this noise I'm having with out spending a mint.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Mine has been "fixed" by my dealer 3 times now. I am unable to tell the difference between when it was fixed and when it was originally making noise...
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Old thread, but anyone have any tips on diagnosing myself, that this is the problem?

Does it really mean removing the dash, or can I get to it by removing radio, or glovebox, etc.

Quick Reply: Noise in dash/ventilation system?