Sponsored by:

Tips for iPod via Wired FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for iPod via Wired FM Modulator

While we all wait (take a seat, stay a while) for easy iPod integration, I thought I'd pass on some tips for integrating iPods via *** WIRED *** FM Modulator. Note I said WIRED - I tried the various WIRELESS FM transmitters and they were all pretty awful. So, the following presumes the $100 including install (or DIY) route of getting a shop to splice a WIRED FM Modulator into the Cayenne's FM radio input.

Originally I had the iPod plugged to the FM Modulator via Minijack to Dual RCA cable (a nice white one).. The minijack end plugges into the iPods earphone port and the Dual RCA end into the FM Modulator under the dash. Three problems:

1. Sound volume was very low - raising the volume caused hiss and considerable volume mismatch when changing back to e.g. normal FM or CD listening

2. If iPod volume is turned up past about 3/4 the sound distorts and clips. Somewhat of a Catch 22 considering point 1.

3. Using the iPod click wheel tended to accidentally adjust volume - annoying and made worse by the fairly narrow "sweet spot" volume allowed by problems 1. and 2. Plus screwing with it took my eyes off the road.

I think that Problem 1. is caused by the FM Modulator needing a line level - the earphone socket on the iPod is somewhat amplified from this, to drive the earphones. Audiovox's data sheet for their FM Modulator stresses the need for a line level input. Problem 2. is inherent to the iPod's earphone output - may be better on later iPods?

SOLUTION!

There are several companies offering adapter cables which plug into the "dock connector" on the bottom of the iPod and offer up a line level out. I tried the Nyko Stereo Link which offers Dual (Male) RCA ends. I cludged this into my existing setup using two adapters from Radio Shack (Parts #274-369 & #274-155) with results ..............

A. Volume level is now much better and consistent with other inputs e.g. CD, FM radio AND there is no distortion (although to guarantee this, need to use the 'Sound Check" option on the iPod). Despite my lash-up of adapters, sound quality is improved - slightly less muddy and better stereo separation - approaching the perfect FM station, still less than CD quality.

B. iPod volume control is irrelevant, no accidental nudging, more eyes on the road, volume controlled by Cayenne Stereo / Steering Wheel

Only downside is that this method uses the dock connector which is also used to charge the iPod, so you are relying on battery power.

YMMV, but if you're having the issues I had, this fix is cheap
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review ! Which FM Modulator are you using?
Its too bad you can't find a "Dock Connector" with line out and power. Something similar to the Monster plug which charges and gets the signal out.
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=2084

I guess you could also build your own....here are the pin outs:

iPod Pin Outs
Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Tim, I'm using the Audiovox FM Modulator - I think Kenwood and Panasonic also offer them, but the Audiovox is what most shops around here seem to favor - the item is pretty much a $25 commodity with no manufacturer making any claims for audiophile credibility - the couple of forum posts I could find seemed to indicate Audiovox was a bit better than the other, but I think they all pretty much do what they say on the box!

Your question on Dock Connector w/line out AND power - there IS such a thing, which I used to great success on a previous car in conjunction with a tape adapter. The connector is made by Belkin: AutoKit for iPod but it has two problems:

- first, the variable output is (I think) something more than line-out - somewhat amplified, so maybe not the line-out the FM Modulator needs, however, it does make problems 1. and 2. in my original post MUCH better

- second, the power circuit bleeds interference into the line-out - this wasn't a problem in my old vehicle, but the 12v outlets in the Cayenne are obviously noisy with both static (ground loop?) and alternator whine being present - someone more skilled than I am might be able to suppress or clean the 12v outlet sufficient to get around this problem

The other solution I had pondered was the Sendstation PocketDock Line Out which provides the line-out and a USB connection - is there a car adapter to USB port iPod charger I wonder? I am sure someone could make this work? The PocketDock lineout with Firewire might be better since IIRC Firewire uses 12v ???? Someone could hack together a Firewire to 12v outlet adapter. I don't know whether there would still be noise / interference issues at that point.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good input Chris, have you considered the home dock which charges and provides a line out for hifi use ? You would have to provide an AC supply but it might be worth it. I wonder if the base could be broken open and repackaged for a stable mobile installation, the connector on the bottom may not be strong enough.

hmmm
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

That's an idea - although it seems one of the other solutions via cleaned up 12v would be easier to deliver than AC? I'll leave it to you hackers and modders to take it from here .........

Still infuriates me that a car like the Cayenne wouldn't have a simple auxiliary input. Consider the development man-years of effort expended in the MOST system and they miss this ......... good grief! I mean c'mon. No, seriously, the eventual solution for the 997 is to put the iPod ......... in the trunk. Oh you have to be kidding me. Porsche? You are having a little fun, right?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

New info from an unnamed source, no ac required the ipod will adapt to 12v
Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 AM
TimC.
Racer

Do you think anyone would be interested in buying a connector that includes these features? I should be able to get these produced fairly quickly. I am going to be producing a prototype to use on my own vehicle. I think this would be a tight clean install.

Everything would come from the Dock Connector at the bottom of the ipod:

Line-out from the ipod to male RCA Jacks
Input for Direct connection to a vechicle power source (+12v) This will be used to charge the device in the vehicle.
*** Video Out is also possible(for video ipods)

Old 03-21-2006, 11:39 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thats a no brainer Tim, YES !

I would love to be able to charge and play without the whine picked up by the FM Modulator
Old 03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thats a no brainer Tim, YES !

I would love to be able to charge and play without the whine picked up by the FM Modulator
Ok sounds good I'll make 2 then LOL Once I get it working I will take a picture probably in a week.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Suggestions on a wired FM modulator solution? I like the lineout suggestion posted here that plugs into the dock connector since I am not really concerned about charging the iPod.

I really need to go the wired route now b/c that wireless FM iTrip is really getting to be annoying!

Thanks for the input
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Tim, I'd be really interested in seeing what you produce - please post pics, although for now, like LVDell, I seem to be OK without charging - not too inconvenient.

While we are blitzing the topic of iPods, I also really liked the ProClip holder I ended up with - no affiliation etc. but I thought I'd post photos - with the dock connector route routed back into and through the interior top of the glovebox, ultimately to the FM modulator, I think it is a very clean install and mount. And the proclip holder causes no damage, is completely reversible - I'm shudddering at all the cars with screw hole mounts in center consoles from past cellphone mounts ...........
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2006, 09:25 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I agree Pro Clip is the only way to go, I have them in all my cars. I use that for my phone tho.

The ipod goes in the Kuda mount on the passenger side Oh-@@#$ handle
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have the proclip in the 996 and the Belkin cup holder mount in the Pepper.........(pics)
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Tips for iPod via Wired FM Modulator