Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Just a FWIW - did the plugs tonight. Amazing the difference it made - car now zooms like the one I'd test driven before buying this one did. No more burble/hesitation at low speed takeoff or slow acceleration from 35mph in 6th..

PITA job compared to other cars I work on.. probably better then the '69 TransAm where you had to cut a hole in the fender liner to get to the rear plug though.. Whoever designed the "design" cover over the passenger's side of the engine was a sadist. I couldn't get it out from under the air pump bracket until I found one of the bolts holding the bracket in place, and loosened it, so I could pull the bracket up about 1/4"..

Didn't lose any tools or fasteners!

Why so many DIFFERENT types of fasteners? Isn't Torx good enough?

Found the plugs (the correct Bosch ones) on Amazon for $5.66/each, and about $8 total shipping. Not a bad deal - especially if the dealer wants > $25/each for them. The old ones on a cursory glance look OK, but held up to the light I could see the ground electrodes were rounded off and a larger gap then the new ones, plus there is some undercut errosion on the outside diameter of the center electrode where the spark dances to it from the ground electrode.

Coils - PN's end with the 03 number - all looked fine. No cracks.

Miles - 56,700 or so. I've got everything except the cabin filter (have it..) and the drive belt done for the 60k service. Cabin filter is this weekend. Any recommendations for a less then $100 drive belt (Gates has one for around $70.. I'd rather use Continental/Conti..)?

I think I'll go to bed now.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
wcho
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replaced coil pack by myself it saves at list 1000$$$ thanks guys! it runs like new. but the engine light is still on. What you you recommend to reset it?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
ATIRacing
1st Gear

I have replaced two coil packs in my 2006 S and after reading this thread I ordered 6 more and will just replace them all and the spark plugs. Car has had a rough idle for a while now, slight hesitation when you got WOT and wants to try and stall as it comes to an idel. I also just replaced the right front wheel bearing - I am glad I have a nice shop and press.....- but now I have ABS dash light and then PSM light not working. ABS is not working. Figured I messed up the right front speed sensor - replaced, still no good. I had a ton of problems with this 06 and I am at 46K miles. I am looking forward to the day when I can get rid of it! No clue what happened or why the ABS light started coming on......Amazed me the first time I took to dealer for an oil change....$300....seriously? They wanted $1000 for front pads and rotors (stock) and I was told around $1400 for the wheel bearing. WTF....Sorry I digress from this thread but getting frustrated.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced all eight coils and plugs, all of them were cracked. Running great now, 06 CS with 42k. Planning on sending Porsche a letter to see what happens. Did the job myself for less than $400 in parts, easy job for anyone to complete
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
gtlimer
4th Gear

Can anyone tell me what's the newest p/n for the coil packs that would work on a turbo?

also, what are the best plugs to use?

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtlimer
Can anyone tell me what's the newest p/n for the coil packs that would work on a turbo?

also, what are the best plugs to use?

Thanks guys!!
94860210408 is the new coil pack #
OEM spark plugs #99917022190

Just did this job on my '06 CTT took me exactly 2 1/2 hours
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Guys who replaced everything- mileage on your Cayennes?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Found the plugs (the correct Bosch ones) on Amazon for $5.66/each, and about $8 total shipping.
This was some of the best advice ever found on rennlist. Yes, that's right folks...you can order the EXACT same plug online at about a third the cost of the dealer (including Suncoast / Sunset). Truly amazing what Porsche dealers gets away with.

Anyway, I ordered mine online.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 AM
techowner12
AutoX

I just purchased an 06 CS w/ 63k miles on it... I've a slight hesitation and it feels as though the throttle doesn't respond the first 1/4 depress... the CE came on, just a p0441 (hopefully its not the pump, right?..) How do I verify the coils are the culprit w/o replacing them as a precaution? Local indy shop said he checked them and they weren't cracked but this seems far fetched - seems they would crack in spots you'd only see after removal. I would just bite the bullet and go to the dealership but

Any suggestions for me (living in San Fran) would be great. Grew up in a garage with my dad being a street rodder / builder / wrencher and did tons to my own cars in Ohio but don't even have a toolbox out here (tough to find any room to work on things anyway).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

Default I'm confused.

So I have a 2005 Cayenne (base) model and I received a letter regarding the extended warranty information about the ignition coils, as I've been feeling the symptoms of the shaky car.

It tells me that all repairs after improved coils are put in will be free but it also tells me that they're putting improved coils in which are part of the extended warranty.

So I have one question... are they putting the new coils on for free? (I haven't replaced coils prior to those). So I'm just confused.

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

We made them replace the coils on my wife's...for Free... Took some pressure.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

I mean it wouldn't make sense to charge us for putting the improved coils if the old ones are broken.... which mine are.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

You would be surprised how they think... The coils were cracked (7 of 8) and they kept telling my wife that they were not covered... That was when I had to drive over and express my opinion on the matter.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

I'm guessing it's all about how you know the dealership also. I mean this dealership treats us well & we have a sales ambassador that would do anything for us, I mean we were put on like 6 month hold for my parents' 2012 Cayenne and the guy made them bring it to us in 3 months and then he let us drive it home on the day of arrival even though papers still needed to be fixed, the manager let us take it home with dealer plates

I don't know. Regardless we have a $500 spending gift card on behalf of the dealership because the camera (rear back-up) software isn't installed yet.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
vyper340
Pro

There is a known issue (sorry if this is repeat) and PCNA will replace coil packs at no cost. There is an extended warranty from PCNA on this issue for all CTT's (not sure about other models) and they sent me a notice about it to confirm it. Call PCNA an inquire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?