Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?

Old 02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your sure your not a cowboy ?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
Your sure your not a cowboy ?

Whoa, there, pard'ner! No special "giddy-yup", here! I'm not so sure about a lot of things in my life? But, Brokeback Cowboy wanna-be?........... NOT!

Now, that new guy on the forum, Larry, I think he likes Cayennes in Flaming Red with a Chartreuse interior!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Cracked coils/spark plugs? Don't think they would log a DME fault.
This is correct if "minor" misfires and it doesn't create a engine fault code, it will only show up in the engine log NOT the DME log as per my previous post. Now............
ATTENTION ALL FORUM users who think they may be having some misfires and specifically ---
mudman2, Andre5, meanmachine, and charlieXS

Low and behold, I just got a call from the new service writer at the dealership (remember, I'm in for 60K service and "poss" misfiring starting again after just 15K miles from previous time). UNBELIEVABLE... they do NOT have enough spark plugs and are having to replace all 8 plugs AGAIN!! The writer said having to FedEx them in. I said "wait".. are they going to replace the ignition wires/coils. He didn't know. So, I told him that he needed to query the tech and be sure that they are NOT defective as there is absolutely no reason other than the coils are bad that spark plugs would only make it 15K miles! AGAIN!

So.. gentlemen as LTC often predicted (like on fobs, rear window latch) it would appear the defective coils were replaced with "defective" coils because PAG thinks it cheaper to just replace and let the owner suffer POST-warranty (I know -- what a half empty thought process).

Now, a little shrewd planning on my part. I put in a call this a.m. early about a 997S cab. sitting in the lot with the salesguy who is going to see what the GM is willing to knock off the list price (been there a while) and so I'm not too worried that the 46K warranty service with the misfires and plug/coil replacement being documented that GM will be able justify to PCNA after just 15K miles to do under warranty... but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I already pre-loaded the angle with service writer, too

OH and on my other post about the BET on it would take more than one day... I didn't get any takers on the bet......... DANG!

Yes, guess I'll be in the base Cayenne (sorry V6 guys it still is a pig vs. the S/Turbo) for at least 3 DAYS.. any takers on that bet?!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Is the coil determined to be cracked by a visual inspection?
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MadFox
So.. gentlemen as LTC often predicted (like on fobs, rear window latch) it would appear the defective coils were replaced with "defective" coils because PAG thinks it cheaper to just replace and let the owner suffer POST-warranty (I know -- what a half empty thought process).
Yup.

Now, a little shrewd planning on my part. I put in a call this a.m. early about a 997S cab. sitting in the lot with the salesguy who is going to see what the GM is willing to knock off the list price (been there a while) and so I'm not too worried that the 46K warranty service with the misfires and plug/coil replacement being documented that GM will be able justify to PCNA after just 15K miles to do under warranty... but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I already pre-loaded the angle with service writer, too
Just for the record, you are aware that the latest 'fix' from PAG (as described in a recent Pano Tech Q&A) for Rear Main Seal (RMS) leaks on the non M64/GT1 derived blocks is.................
Use a Cayenne Rear Main Seal in a Carrera or Boxster exhibiting a RMS leak.
BRILLIANT!

So, you won't be getting TOO far away from your Cayenne after all.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:37 AM
andre5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Madfox!

Andre
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Is the coil determined to be cracked by a visual inspection?
Yes, I think so.. but they didn't see them for so long the first time this happened because they are hairline and of course dirt/grime/oil etc. Thus my reason for telling the service writer to have the tech check the coils this time as there is no reason for the 8 plugs to all be "defective" at just 14K miles.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
TimC.
Racer

This is what I have noticed lately @ 18k Rough Idle in Park - At night you can see the interior lights dim every few seconds as the rough idle happens. Almost like its going to stall.
Going on Friday to see whats up along with other things and oil change and of course dont forget to "Please install my cowboy belts !!!!"
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well I just got the call from the dealer, they found cracked coils so I have to wait until tomorrow because.............they have no stock

Thanks Madfox you nailed it !

Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Good information. Please post the replacement part numbers to see ifin they're improved.

What were the engine fault codes?

Inspection of the plugs and coils looks okay, for the driver's side, 5 - 8. There are additional parts to remove for the passenger's side.

This sounds like a good periodic inspection.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I will try to get as much as I can when I pick it up
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
I will try to get as much as I can when I pick it up
Agent 86: Would you believe -- that MadFox got his S back after just 2 days?!
Agent 99: NO.
Agent 86: Well, he did!
Agent 99: I like it rough.
MadFox: I don't ... thank goodness they fixed it.

Just a quick note to say.. the S drives great and she "feels" good and the coils/plugs are in!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

methinks they may have increased stocks in Atlanta, my dealer is expecting fedex in the am.

I wonder why ?

Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Tech write-up: Found no misfires in DME. Checked engine misfire data - multiple misfires found. Found all sparkplugs had premature wear. Also found all coils to be cracked causing misfires and damage to spark plugs. Replaced all 8 spark plugs and coils.
Qty - FP Number ----- Description ----- Unit Price
8 999-170-218-90 Spark Plug 0.00 Warranty
8 948-602-104-00 Ignition Coil 0.00 Warranty

I'm having them recheck the coils and plugs today as I'm starting to think I'm having some low RPM misfires again. IIRC, there was an issue with bad coils being replaced with the same manf./lot number coils.
This is a repeat "repair", correct? Are the part numbers for the first service? What are the numbers for the latest service? Any idea on the fault codes?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Demand is outstripping supply of coils and plugs, no car for me today, tomorrow perhaps.

Interesting comment, they only took one side apart and everyone was cracked. they ordered 8.

A4 Quattro loaner, ice storm rumoured for tonight.... great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?