Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post MOST interface successfully 'hacked'

From the 997 forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/201351-nav-tv-for-the-997-is-almost-here.html

NAV-TV is claiming to have the first commerical MOST interface adadpter
http://www.nav-tv.com/index02.htm (it's on the right side).

Interesting, when you click on "Read More" under MOST, you get taken to a Press Releases page where none of the links refer to MOST.

Well, this is certainly exciting news.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OH NO not another wild goose chase ! Its the same as they had before, video but no audio.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

mudman2,

I only report the 'news', I don't write it.
(besides, you couldn't make stuff like this up anyways )

It really does seem like Rocky & Bullwinkle...eventually Bullwinkle WILL pull a rabbit out that hat..........
Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Porsche Video Yes, everything else = No, it's all in the PDF.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

"First commercial MOST interface adapter"......

So what exactly does the adapter interface to?

Amateurs...........
Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

They use the fibre to light the display.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 PM
356driver
Racer

MOST is a fibre-optic networking system that involves both hardware and software. The hardware allows a physical connection into the optical ring. The software provides the means by which the networked devices are registered, controlled, connected and transfer data between one another. Devices are things like tuners, amplifiers, CD-changers, phones, video decks, displays, etc.

The challenge is not only to create an interface adapter, but to make it intelligent enough to represent itself as a particular type of device and have it communicate with other related devices. Beyond that there is the question of how devices are allowed to "join" the network. Do they self-register ("plug and play") or do they have to be allowed in by a controlling device?

Are there any MOST gurus out there who would like to explain this further?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Nothing against you 356 but excuse my

Its not quite the first time this direction has been followed. I am sure our resident MOST person will respond soon, but if you were a member you could search and find chapter and verse about this.

Lewis you will need to give yourself a full intro with resume here.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 356driver
Beyond that there is the question of how devices are allowed to "join" the network. Do they self-register ("plug and play") or do they have to be allowed in by a controlling device?
356driver,
MOST defines both a physical layer and software/protocol. It is not an operating system.....so a Windows Plug and Play analogy isn't quite accurate.

The software running in the bus master (in virtually all cases this is the headunit....and virtually all MOST headunits are from Becker (which is owned by Harmon Kardon) will determine what, if any, devices which were not present at the time of vehicle design and assembly can be added to the ring.

MOST has 'open' specifications, which all MOST licensed/certified devices must meed and it has 'closed' specifications/extensions, which are OEM (i.e. Porsche, Audi, Daimler) specific.

The story behind MOST is interesting, along with the promises the specification was to provide when it was "sold" to the OEM's.....but that is a story for another day.

Here is a list of those responsible for bringing you MOST:
http://www.mostcooperation.com/membe...list/index.php

If you are so inclined (and since you are not a rennlist member you can't access the search function), here are some links for your review:

http://www.mostcooperation.com/
http://www.ertico.com/download/telem.../mostspec1.pdf
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/mos...tw_03_2000.pdf
http://www.vector-informatik.com/eng..._solutions.php
http://www.oasis.de/eng/content/view/5/28//products.htm
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
I am sure our resident MOST person will respond soon, but if you were a member you could search and find chapter and verse about this.
Michael,

Who is the no good, son of a bitch, resident MOST person who burdened every Porsche owner with this technical mess?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Down Boy I tried to ease you into it, and we all know you were following orders ! (old excuse :-))
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
356driver
Racer

ltc: I am a Rennlist member but thanks for the links. Sorry about the "plug and play" - it was meant as a descriptive term, not in the Windows sense. I work as a sales manager for an embedded OS and tools company so I "kinda speaka da language" of bus and networking protocols. However MOST is new to me. I did check the mostcooperation.com site and browsed the sample interfaces in the MOST function catalog.

The question is whether the NetworkMaster and ConnectionMaster can service a request from a previously unknown device to "join" the network and set up connections to other devices. If this were the case it would be feasible to design a MOST adapter that could be plugged into the ring without manually reconfiguring something else (like the Becker head unit). But I know that would probably be too much to hope for.

The MOST specification (downloaded from the Oasis web site) states that any device can be added to the ring and its network resources will be dynamically allocated. But once again that I know that would be too much to hope for.

I know the OS provider for Harmon Kardon (in fact they recently bought the OS company) so I may look on that website for info as well. It seems like you might know some of the insides of MOST so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 356driver; 05-03-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Down Boy I tried to ease you into it, and we all know you were following orders ! (old excuse :-))
OK, Mike, tell you what......

I'll leave it up to you to break the news to everybody that MOST is here to stay, at least up thru MY 2009.......just don't tell them where you heard it.

Deal?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

ltc: I am a Rennlist member but thanks for the links.
356driver,
Sorry, it doesn't say "Rennlist Member" above your avatar, so I assumed you didn't have access to the "Search" function near the top of the Rennlist forums window bar.

The question is whether the NetworkMaster and ConnectionMaster can service a request from a previously unknown device to "join" the network and set up connections to other devices. If this were the case it would be feasible to design a MOST adapter that could be plugged into the ring without manually reconfiguring something else (like the Becker head unit). But I know that would probably be too much to hope for.
Unless the software (OS, kernel, application...call it what you will) has been written to do so, then no.
Designing an 'analog line level aux input iPod interface' for any Porsche is simple; the current headunit S/W wouldn't know what to do with it.
Rewriting the headunit S/W is very straightforward (simply connect to the device and then allow the audio to be passed to the amplifier, like any audio source on the ring) ASSUMING you had the ability to modify the S/W and then Flash update the S/W into the headunit. Simple for folks who design the OEM stuff, not so simple for an outsider, given the manufacturer proprietary extentions built into their implementations......no, please don't ask why.

It seems like you might know some of the insides of MOST so any help would be appreciated.
Did our firm, yet fair handed, (and sometimes called upon to tuck the kids into bed early when things get interesting here) Super Moderator, Mudman2, tell you that?
I probably shouldn't tell you this, but he sometimes likes to have a drink or two, so you can't believe everything he says

OK, Mike, your serve.............
Old 05-03-2005, 10:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OK in future you shall remain nameless and I will just post the links I am to lazy to lookup.

I was working on swarm theory as it applies to cleaning 997 headlights without creating a static charge, so I had an excuse.

Quick Reply: MOST interface successfully 'hacked'