Sponsored by:

3rd Row Seating ... as a mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:17 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3rd Row Seating ... as a mod?

Anybody thought about, or tried to install a 3rd row seat/bench for kids in the Cayenne? I know Volvo makes a 3rd row bench that you can install into the 850/V70 wagons---anybody have experience with this, and would it work in a Cayenne? Need some more ammunition to convince the wife this thing really will work for hauling kids & family.... and would rather not wait for the Audi Q7 w/ third row...
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
JARO
Pro

just get a minivan buddy!!! forget the porsche!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:37 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put something aftermarket into the rear, they would have to be rear facing. Would a custom 3rd row be DOT approved? If you get pulled over, would you be issued a citation?

If you are really in need of a 7 seater, consider Lexus GS. I think they are coming out with the 4.3L instead of the current 4.7L soon. The 4.3L has more HP and probly will be more fuel efficient. Of course, it won't be a Porsche.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:27 AM
umfan866
Racer

No...I am serious. Other SUVs also have optional installation of a 3rd row: Yukon, Dinali, Tahoe, Mercedes ML series.. Do they have to be DOT approved to be legal? Can any of them be installed in a Cayenne? I know that none of them are safe because they are in the crumple zone, but what is possible?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 AM
andre5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umfan866
No...I am serious. Other SUVs also have optional installation of a 3rd row: Yukon, Dinali, Tahoe, Mercedes ML series.. Do they have to be DOT approved to be legal? Can any of them be installed in a Cayenne? I know that none of them are safe because they are in the crumple zone, but what is possible?
Anything is possible. But is it worth risking the lives of your family members? I'm sure you are good driver, but it only takes one inattentive driver to plow into the rear of your vehicle and possibly cause severe injuries or death to one or more of your passengers. The risks outweigh the benefits as I see it.

If you need more seats, consider a vehicle that has the option for it from the factory. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Moogle
Race Car

from a safety perspective, this is not a good idea at all, even if (and i dont believe there is) an aftermarket company makes a solution.

as for getting a ticket, i dbout the cop would even know abuot it.

anyway, in all seriousness, the risk completely outweighs the reward.

for example, if there is an accident involving injury, this could be used against you.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 AM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Agree with all of the above comments on safety/legal, and liability.

The Cayenne may Haul A$$ , however, it can only Haul 5 butts...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Performance products used to sell them for my 4Runner, even with the seatbelt option, but it is facing backwards and none of the people from the 4run clubs have one, safety is the reason...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Crackhead944S
Pro

Do you guys think that a factory designed third row is dangerous? We, the wife and I, came very close to buying either a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander or a Toyota Four Runner, because they all have third row seating, which can fold down for cargo room. I never heard that it might be unsafe back there, but it makes sense.

I mean, it is unsafe anywhere in those vehicles, even driving near them. I slightly rocked the steering wheel at highway speeds in two of the above-mentioned three and all I could think is "NO WAY AM I BUYING THIS. IT WILL ROLL OVER AT THE FIRST RE-ACTIVE JERK OF THE WHEEL." Esp. since it would be the wife's car with the kids in it. My Civic is about one million times safer (braking and handling) and I bought her a 325XI for safety reasons, but now that the family is about to grow it's too small.

Also, we agreed along time ago that if either one of us mentions the words "We should buy a Mini-van", it voids our marriage license.

BTW, if the Cayenne handles as well I hope it does, I might have a running Porsche in my sig., to bad it would have to be the V6 version.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Crackhead944S]Do you guys think that a factory designed third row is dangerous? We, the wife and I, came very close to buying either a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander or a Toyota Four Runner, because they all have third row seating, which can fold down for cargo room. I never heard that it might be unsafe back there, but it makes sense.
[QUOTE]

those come from the factory with 3rd row seats and have been crashtested, properly bolted and have the chassis that are properly enforced to keep you safe when using the 3rd row seats..the cayenne may not....

talk 2 an suv tunning company..
Old 11-18-2004, 12:38 AM
cayenneman
Advanced

I agree with the safety concerns. But My brother has a 4runner and to say it was designed with the third seat in my mind is misleading. The hang in front of the rear windows creating massive blind spots and they appear to be no more than an afterthought to say "we seat seven too". I also believe the initial 03 run didnt have them and next thing you know they are hanging in the far back. I dont think the cayenne has room for a meaningful rear seat but if you find something that bolts in and works for you. It's probably just as safe as some of these others on the market.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I could use a third row but I would never go there for safety reasons. The cars that have them undoubtedly were designed for them in some important ways. While I never particularly liked my wife's previous Land Cruiser (too mushy-feeling) (which had third row seats), the one thing I can say for it is that when she was rear-ended, the other guy's car was totaled, and the Land Cruiser was virtually untouched.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 PM
jdrive
7th Gear

Unfortunately there aren't any 3rd row seat kits for the Cayenne. Nor will there be; the rake of the rear window is too steep for any kind of 3rd row application. I looked at gutting the cargo hold and installing a back seat from an Audi (about the smallest around). Still no good due to the rake. A child's head would be about 6-8 inches from the glass.

Every so often rumors abound regarding a stretched Cayenne with a third row. Time will tell.....

This is a good resource for such seats. Again, though, you wouldn't want to do this on a non-stretched Cayenne, Toureg, etc. Your clild's head will literally be about 6 inches from the rear window!!!

Site with aftermarket 3rd row seats
http://www.littleseats.com/

Quick Reply: 3rd Row Seating ... as a mod?