Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to change fog light bulbs

Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy 5500k or 6000k halogen bulbs to replace the existing ones, don't buy HID units, they should only be fitted with an auto leveling system because they are a very focused bright light and will dazzle and be dangerous for other drivers if they are not aimed correctly (that's why all vehicles fitted factory with HID have auto leveling and headlamp washers), also your fog lights emit a completely different light pattern compared to your head lights, this is so that on the rare occasion that you are caught in adverse visibility conditions they will light the road way without dazzling you when reflecting off fog!

Also the cost of fitting HID kits is astronomical compared to buying a couple of sets of bulbs to get the color you want, buy the bulbs from a decent manufacturer or you might find the color changes with age,
Finally make sure you stay under 55w, even using an LED bulb that is rated for an 80w output but with only a 15w draw for example it can still damage the housing, ive done it!

as I see it there are two options, buy a couple of sets of halogen bulbs starting a 5500k color and going up until you get the color you want or buy some LED equivalents, they will cost you more but theoretically will last longer, the color is still determined by the 'k' rating, I say in theory because the cheaper ones don't always last that long.

good luck
Kim
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightningmcnulty
Just buy 5500k or 6000k halogen bulbs to replace the existing ones, don't buy HID units, they should only be fitted with an auto leveling system because they are a very focused bright light and will dazzle and be dangerous for other drivers if they are not aimed correctly (that's why all vehicles fitted factory with HID have auto leveling and headlamp washers), also your fog lights emit a completely different light pattern compared to your head lights, this is so that on the rare occasion that you are caught in adverse visibility conditions they will light the road way without dazzling you when reflecting off fog!

Also the cost of fitting HID kits is astronomical compared to buying a couple of sets of bulbs to get the color you want, buy the bulbs from a decent manufacturer or you might find the color changes with age,
Finally make sure you stay under 55w, even using an LED bulb that is rated for an 80w output but with only a 15w draw for example it can still damage the housing, ive done it!

as I see it there are two options, buy a couple of sets of halogen bulbs starting a 5500k color and going up until you get the color you want or buy some LED equivalents, they will cost you more but theoretically will last longer, the color is still determined by the 'k' rating, I say in theory because the cheaper ones don't always last that long.

good luck
Kim
Thanks Kim, specially for the heads up about the housing damage due to LED wattage draw.
I will start to browse again for higher kelvin rating halogen bulbs, I'm just looking for color match without risking performance nor doing something weird just because of the look.
Pretty interesting fact you just shared about auto-leveling mechanism for the HID lights in order to perform

I will come back with pics after modification of my fogs

Cheers,
J
Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The comments on LED's runs counter to what I know about them. I thought the whole point is they draw less power for the equivalent brightness of a standard bulb and thus less heat.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

I know and to me, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'd experienced it I wouldn't believe it myself!

Not to say that it wouldn't work in some situations but I wouldn't risk my fittings to find out

Kim
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

A couple of weeks ago I bought some LED bulbs for my garage rated 13W equivalent to 60W of regular bulbs,,,,, one day I tried to remove the LED bulb after it was On for a couple of hours... Dude that LED bulb was so hot to the touch I couldn't grab it.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried CREE LED bulb?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:44 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PERVY have you installed them? Or did you just paste the ebay link for forum fodder?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Originally Posted by Jochy
A couple of weeks ago I bought some LED bulbs for my garage rated 13W equivalent to 60W of regular bulbs,,,,, one day I tried to remove the LED bulb after it was On for a couple of hours... Dude that LED bulb was so hot to the touch I couldn't grab it.
Yeah I think it was the heat that caused my issue too.

Imagine if you go over the rated wattage.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Its been very difficult to find halogen bulbs 6000k.
I'm starting to consider LED with projection quality to perform the right way.
On the list:

-Nokya
-CREE
-iJDMTOYS
- maybe a rare korean brand to test

http://amzn.com/B00AQ6YNCY

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/High-Power-...w-cree-fog.htm

Will come back later with some updates and pics...

Last edited by Jochy; 12-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

I have not done the fogs, if I go out at night or when fogging Jeeves takes the Roller and Im pi$$ed in the back so cant really comment, sorry
Old 12-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

...the only halogen bulb found with the true xenonmatch spec was Höen. Definedlty that's gonna be my first try. Lets see what this boat brings...
Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM
jsrbrown
Intermediate

I have a 2004 CTT. I'm attempting to replace the fog light bulbs with LED H11s. Has anyone found a solution that works? I tried replacing one side with just a bulb without a resistor harness, but as soon as I turned it on it threw a fault code for the fog lights.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsrbrown
I have a 2004 CTT. I'm attempting to replace the fog light bulbs with LED H11s. Has anyone found a solution that works? I tried replacing one side with just a bulb without a resistor harness, but as soon as I turned it on it threw a fault code for the fog lights.
If you solve this let us know. I've tried 3 different makers with the extra resistor harness and they all still throw error messages. Frustrating and wish could program the errors away
Old 10-29-2023, 08:12 PM
Blazer784
2nd Gear

Default Changing fog lamp bulbs H11 - Cayenne S 955

Originally Posted by Brit6
Exactly what i do, i put in the 2500K Nokya yellow bulbs. I never not have my fogs on at night with my headlights, gives a pretty mean look and great for the light output
Use 55W 6000K temp bulbs then look for the highest lumen ( thats the brightness) This is 4.5amp per bulb for the fuse so 9 amp for both sides.if you use 100W you are using 8.5 amps per bulb so 17 amps hence fire risk or fuse blow if its a 15 amp fuse .To calculate the amps divide Watts by the Voltage i.e. 100W ÷12V = 8.5 amps. You might also melt the plastic lens cover with 100 W 🙂

Last edited by Blazer784; 10-29-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:07 PM
porsche06
5th Gear

I did on mine but i get no fog (code) i tried so many expensive LED but no luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to change fog light bulbs