Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 PCM is DVD-based; retrofit possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 PCM is DVD-based; retrofit possible?

According to the '05 Cayenne S Order Guide on renntech.org, the PCM (PF1) option is listed as follows:

Porsche Communication Mgt. II 6.5" screen with 12 button keypad. 2-tuner, top-radio with integrated CD-player, DVD - based GPS navigation module, on-board computer with simultaneous indicator of basic audio and navigation information.

Sounds to me like the '05 unit is the same as the current PCM equipment but with an added DVD drive dedicated for navigation. I would guess that this dedicated drive is installed in one of the compartments in the rear, perhaps near the CD changer.

If this is true, then while perhaps not economical, it may be feasible to retrofit current PCM systems with the dedicated DVD drive. This would probably also require new PCM software and a purchase of the NavTech software on DVD.

This would enable the integrated CD drive to be used for CD audio and, one would hope, that the DVD based navigation data is more comprehensive than the CD version.

Of course, the bottomline will be price. We all know that virtually anything can be done for a price. But it does seem that this installtion is more like a peripheral upgrade rather than a wholesale parts exchange.

Time will tell.

Last edited by dlipetz; 03-29-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now this makes logical sense!

Thus, I would think and update would be available...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:55 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Is it possible that the new DVD navigation system would replace the CD reader, in the PCM2, with a DVD reader?

It seems possible that this change exists to permit using the PCM2 to play video DVD movies, instead of increasing map content.

It may be that the video input jack, on the existing PCM2, might then also be utilized, to bring external video, such as from a TV tuner, into the PCM2. In that scenario, the audio would enter the PCM2 through MOST.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that watching video on the main Nav screen would be a distraction, how about a heads-up display so I can watch without looking down.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:56 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by wingless
Is it possible that the new DVD navigation system would replace the CD reader, in the PCM2, with a DVD reader?
Well, the 2005 Order Guide clearly states that the '05 PCM has an "integrated CD-player" and refers to the DVD navigation as a "module".

To me, that means that the PCM unit has still has an integrated CD DRIVE, just as it has now. Again, we're talking a modest engineering upgrade of adding an outboard DVD DRIVE module (for navigation) to the existing unit. Not wholesale changes to the PCM unit iteself. It is still coded a PF1 and still branded as PCM II.

I honestly believe that the '05 PCM is exactly the same as what we have today, but with an external DVD Drive (for use with DVD-based navigation software) and perhaps upgraded software in support of the DVD drive. That's it.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Mav
Racer

According to MY05's order guide. PCM is conflicts with fire extinguisher. I am guessing the DVD Nav module will be located under the passenger's under-seat storage space.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Is there a web link to the MY05 order guide?

Is there a web link to the MY05 pricing?

Nevermind...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by Mav
According to MY05's order guide. PCM is conflicts with fire extinguisher. I am guessing the DVD Nav module will be located under the passenger's under-seat storage space.

Excellent deduction! Surely sounds plausible to me.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:55 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wingless, they are available on renntech.org. However no prices yet!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:02 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry. Hadn't noticed that Mike posted links.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What has been posted is correct. The PCM unit itself remains unchanged. A DVD unit will be mounted in the vehicle to run the nav discs. It will NOT be set up to play movies on the PCM screen.

I would guess that the DVD unit is retrofittable, but until we start seeing them, we won't know for sure. As far as nav system functions, I don't see why you would want to retrofit it. Navtech will continue making updates for the CD-based sytems, so that negates any neewd for the DVD retrofit. However, if in-car rear screen/movie capabilities are coming soon, then I think the DVD would be a worthwhile retrofit.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:49 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by Difference Engine
I don't see why you would want to retrofit it.
Two reasons for retrofit:

1. Enable use of integrated PCM CD drive for CD audio use exclusively
2. Better detailed maps and more comprehensive POI (conjecture)

The real question, of course, is how much is that worth to you?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dlipetz
Two reasons for retrofit:

1. Enable use of integrated PCM CD drive for CD audio use exclusively
2. Better detailed maps and more comprehensive POI (conjecture)

The real question, of course, is how much is that worth to you?
I could see that. We've been recommending that anyone ordering PCM also goes for the CD Changer, so that they can use the changer specifically for music.

It'll be interesting to see if the maps get any more detailed. Having compared our maps to other manufacturers, I feel we already have the best in terms of ease of use and detailing.

I guess once we actually see the DVD units, I'll be better able to say that it's definitively worth it to retrofit.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:35 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCM unit must be slightly different, because hasnt the screen size been increased from 5.8" to 6.5" ?? On my 03 TT the PCM screen was 5.8", unless the PCM in the cayenne has always been larger...
Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by Difference Engine
[B]I could see that. We've been recommending that anyone ordering PCM also goes for the CD Changer, so that they can use the changer specifically for music./B]
I'm glad your dealership does that. A shame so many Cayennes were ordered by dealers with PCM but without the CDC-4. That is how I ended up in my predicament.

But my point is that the in-dash CD drive on the PCM is vastly more convenient than the rear-mounted changer. So having the in-dash drive available for audio would be a real convenience and help overcome the rather archaic system design.

Quick Reply: '05 PCM is DVD-based; retrofit possible?