Jacking and Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:11 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts
Question Jacking and Jack Stands

The two lift point, under the Cayenne, near each corner, are placed close to each other.

For safety, my rule has always been to NEVER go under a vehicle supported exclusively by a jack. But, because the two lift points, the platform lift and the garage lift, are so close, I have not been able to determine how to lift the Cayenne, then support it with a jack stand.

The Cayenne also has the jacking point, on the rocker panel edge.

Is that the way to lift the Cayenne, to use the rocker panel jacking point, then support it with jack stands, by first using the rocker panel jacking point, then rest it on jack stands at either the platform or garage lift? If so, is there an adapter plate available to rest on my floor jack, that fits the rocker panel edge?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:00 PM
DanP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed the jack stand on the axle itself, couldn't suitable find room anywhere else.

Please let us know if you discover a better area.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Getting under a Cayenne

Originally posted by DanP
I placed the jack stand on the axle itself, couldn't suitable find room anywhere else.
HUH????????? HHUUHH????????????????? 'On the axle itself'? What exactly are you talking about? On the axle (half)shafts? I hope not! On the (cast-aluminum) differential housings? I hope not!

For jacking with a floor jack, use the huge screw-head-and-washer pads that the owners' manual indicates. They're easy to find, inside and just behind the front and just in front of the rear tires. For stands, there are many solid parts of the suspension members, strut mounts, crossmembers, subframe, etc.

However, IMO, the best way to get under one, or at least one end of one, is to raise it to extra-terrain height and then drive it onto ramps, purchased or homemade, as long as they're sturdy. That's how I do oilchanges.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:33 PM
DanP
Instructor

Jeff, excuse my mechanical terms ignorance, what do you call the dark-colored piece of horizontal metal that terminates where the wheel would attach?

If that piece of metal is strong enough to hold up the car's weight with only the wheel as support, logic has it that it must be strong enough to have a jack take the place of a wheel, no?

What is the proper name for it?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Jack Placement

The lift points defined in the Owner's Manual are too close to each other to permit lifting with a jack, then resting the vehicle onto jack stands.

The rear jack location, that I found to be acceptable is on the rear axle sub-frame, on the curved section, below the front of the rear axle, where the drive shaft enters.

The front jack location, which I used, is on the front suspension sub-frame, near the anti-sway bar. It should come as no surprise that with a vehicle this stiff, the vehicle lifts evenly with the jack offset to the side.

One end of the vehicle is raised, at the locations shown, then rested onto jack stands, in the locations defined in the manual.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wingless; 04-26-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:43 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Front Jack Placement

Front Jack Placement
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004, 08:52 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Axle Diagram

Image from: Porsche Service Information Technik, Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 2004, PNA 488 910, Porsche Cars North America, Inc.. 2003.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004, 10:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wingless, one of us is wrong, the book you refer to identifies the 4 pads one on each corner, (remembering to turn the suspension off first). Raise one corner at a time and place on stands.

Not the center location your arrow appears to be pointing to.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:40 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Jack Point Locations

The manual shows two locations, at each corner. My experience was that if a jack was placed at one location, it then prevented placing a jack stand at the other nearby location.

So, by jacking at the center rear, I can then use the recommended rear locations for the jack stands. And, by jacking on the front side, I can use the recommended front locations for the jack stands.

Are there other techniques, that allow the usage of jack stands, that should also be considered?

Image from: Porsche Service Information Technik, Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 2004, PNA 488 910, Porsche Cars North America, Inc.. 2003.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004, 10:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OK, I would worry about the stability of a center jack point when I have to get under to put the stands in.

I'm probably just chicken
Old 04-27-2004, 12:12 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mudman2
OK, I would worry about the stability of a center jack point when I have to get under to put the stands in.

I'm probably just chicken
There was no observed instability from jacking at the center rear or from the front side.

Yes, do NOT go under a vehicle supported by a jack!

But, with a floor jack, that is not required. The handle extends beyond the bumper. The jack stands may be positioned without going under the vehicle.

Are there other techniques, that allow the usage of jack stands, that should also be considered?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:22 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I am afraid of putting to much stress (weight) on one componant, I will continue doing a side at a time to get up on the stands, the way I was taught in my auto mechanics class in high school. (no, not last year) Difficult to change the habits of a lifetime.

Both work.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Front Jack Placement

Originally posted by wingless
Front Jack Placement
That's exactly where I jacked up my front coming in with the jack from the front of the truck so I could put a jack stand on the side front jacking point behind the front wheel. I did the driver's side then the passenger side. Very easy and appropriate for getting the front up on two stands...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I revived this 6 year old thread because I am planning to remove my wheels and have them powder coated and will need to put the Cayenne up on jack stands for a a couple of weeks while the work is being done. I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S.

This thread seemed to provide the most detailed discussion I've seen on the topic of using jack stands and their proper placement. But it is 6 years old. So, has anyone used jack stands more recently, and do you have any other advice to add?

Also, I'm a little concerned about having the vehicle up on jack stands for a couple of weeks. I planned to use 3-ton stands at each corner. Should I have a twinge of concern, or am I just being paranoid?

The process, as I understand it, seems to be:

1. Turn off the air suspension
2. Jack at the standard rocker panel jack locations as shown in the picture below (or jack in the center as described by wingless in this post?)
3. Once raised to an adequate height, slip the jack stand under the vehicle and situate it in the secondary spot indicated by the owners' manual (see picture below), inside and just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels.

I'd rather use a heavy-duty jack that fits at the secondary spot mentioned above (see #3) than the flimsy factory-provided jack, just because it is easier and faster. But, then where would I go with the jack stands?

Any advice, opinions?
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Munchdog
Track Day

Statman, how did you end up accomplishing this? I'm about to undertake the same process.

Looking for tips.

Quick Reply: Jacking and Jack Stands